What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

England v France 2024 - 90th celebrations

Perth Red

Post Whore
The irony is that if the IRL held a 1 off Club Comp where 4 Clubs each from say 16 domestic competitions, the French would probably do pretty well.

Of course it would be an Australian v English club final, but I’d be interested in how Elite 1 would fare with NZ (Warriors are not a domestic club) and the Club comps in Samoa, Tonga, Fiji, PNG and Cooks. Or Wales, Ireland and Serbia..
If you had nsw and qrl cup minus nrl contracted players, elite1 and English championship I reckon it’d be pretty close. Add in digitally and nz comp and you’d have a really interesting match up.

the rest would be way lower standard.

Perth Red

Post Whore
England's 20 man squad

England Men Squad
Ben Currie (Warrington Wolves), George Delaney (St Helens), Tyler Dupree (Wigan Warriors), Ash Handley (Leeds Rhinos), James Harrison (Warrington Wolves), Tom Johnstone (Catalans Dragons), Matty Lees (St Helens), Mikey Lewis, Jez Litten (both Hull KR), James McDonnell (Leeds Rhinos), Elliot Minchella (Hull KR), Harry Newman (Leeds Rhinos), Matty Nicholson (Warrington Wolves), Brad O’Neill, Harry Smith, Luke Thompson (all Wigan Warriors), Jack Welsby (St Helens), George Williams (Warrington Wolves), Oliver Wilson (Huddersfield Giants), Sam Wood (Castleford Tigers)

England87

Juniors
If Costa, Fages and Rouge can get some quick ball then I can see them staying in the arm wrestle for one half of footy.
England by 18.

Coastbloke

Bench
Let’s celebrate 90 years of rugby league in France by holding a Test as a curtain raiser to a Championship match and having absolutely zero TV coverage..

Perth Red

Post Whore
Let’s celebrate 90 years of rugby league in France by holding a Test as a curtain raiser to a Championship match and having absolutely zero TV coverage..
Sadly it will be a one way street played in front of a few thousand its hardly got tv companies falling over themselves to show it.

yakstorm

First Grade
France put up some fight in the first half to only trail 18 - 8 at halftime before England ran away with it.

Overall I'm not sure how this event could have been run worse. From the late announcement of the fixture, to holding it as a curtain raiser to a Championship game, having zero sponsors, no broadcaster back in England, minimal promotion in Toulouse (as reflected with the crowd), zero media from the UK invited (Steve Mascord was the only non-french journalist), the England Men's coach didn't even fly across, prioritising getting ankle surgery, the England Men's team didn't even turn up to watch the Women's team (they rocked up to the ground in the second half to get ready) and throw in the disaster they had flying across on RyanAir where their flights were delayed over 5hrs.

It's just a sad outcome and reeks of 'who cares' by all involved.

MRN

Bench
Quality of the coverage looked like it was being live streamed from the moon.
And wow, what a live crowd.
Although I do want to see that French rooster mascot fight the Sydney rooster mascot.

Matt_CBY

Juniors
France put up some fight in the first half to only trail 18 - 8 at halftime before England ran away with it.

Overall I'm not sure how this event could have been run worse. From the late announcement of the fixture, to holding it as a curtain raiser to a Championship game, having zero sponsors, no broadcaster back in England, minimal promotion in Toulouse (as reflected with the crowd), zero media from the UK invited (Steve Mascord was the only non-french journalist), the England Men's coach didn't even fly across, prioritising getting ankle surgery, the England Men's team didn't even turn up to watch the Women's team (they rocked up to the ground in the second half to get ready) and throw in the disaster they had flying across on RyanAir where their flights were delayed over 5hrs.

It's just a sad outcome and reeks of 'who cares' by all involved.
It was depressing to see.

taste2taste

Juniors
We need to keep plugging away in France, the talent is there as shown by France regularly beating England in the U16,17 and 18's. The problem is the players on those junior teams drifts towards Union because that's were all the money and opportunities are.

The only positives were
1) we actually got a game of international footy.
2) the French heritage jerseys, where can I get one ?

taste2taste

Juniors
France defeat England in the U19

I belive that's 2 years in a row ? The Roosters have signed French back Enzo Griffier who will play in thier SG ball team.

France needs to keep thier juniors from going to Union so they can once again compete at senior level.