What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

England vs Exiles on Channel 9?

clarency

Juniors
Wish I could have watched it. I've always preferred watching Super League style rugby league opposed to the NRL's.

roughyed8

Juniors
Wish I could have watched it. I've always preferred watching Super League style rugby league opposed to the NRL's.

It was nothing like SL, Silverwood allowed the exiles to slow the England ptb down all game, if it had been a SL game there would have been pens galore and sinbins, saying that England were clueless on attack, Sinfield will never be a stand off as long as he has a hole in his Arse and Myler was anonymous for most off the game, the exiles fully deserved to win leuleui and Chase bossed the game.

Well the Exiles deserved to win yeah, and Sinfield is about as dangerous as a mannequin.

But the main problem is the distance that SL refs take them back, as you know. I like seeing some wrestling. If a ball handler wins the collision and the ground, then he is the entitled to have a quick play-the-ball, which he probably will manage to get himself without any help from the referee.

Eddie Hemmings, biased as shite, I loathe him, loved hearing him trying to put a positive spin on it, hahahahahahaha. Seeing Hemmings' face at the end was worth tuning in for. I think I'll go to the match next year to cheer the Exiles on, and to give a load of lip to the English merchant bankers.

GET THIS INTO YOU, THE EXILES WON, OH YEAH.

clarency

Juniors
But the main problem is the distance that SL refs take them back, as you know. I like seeing some wrestling. If a ball handler wins the collision and the ground, then he is the entitled to have a quick play-the-ball, which he probably will manage to get himself without any help from the referee.

I guess you could say I'm the opposite. I'd sacrifice the slow/quick ptb to have a standard speed play the ball all game. You'd see just as much, if not more broken play running as a result.

I was at a wedding where a friend's brother (who coaches U11 rugby league) was telling me about the coaching clinics he attends. Grimaced at the things they are taught:

During every tackle the referee allows 5 seconds for the tacklers to leave, so tackle with as many as possible, getting of the player one at a time. Make the play as slow as possible.

If I were coaching I'd do the same thing but damn they make the game boring to watch.

Clar,

Well for me the long passing pass plays are my favourite part of League, those 20m plus passes from people like Lockyer and Carney around the red zone of the opposition.

I don't want to see more runs from acting-half, another thing I like are those little intricate moves from acting-half. If you had quicker play-the-balls there would be less of these type of moves. Also less skillful teams will have more of a chance of winning too, which is obviously not a good thing.

Evil Homer

Staff member
14,500 odd - is that a good crowd? How much advertising are they doing for this?
An unbelievable amount. More advertising than I've ever seen for any other RL event, which is one of the things that really ticked me off. As for the crowd, it was decent, probably more than I was expecting TBH.

roughyedspud

Coach
i would'nt say an unbelievable amount..the video ref big screen advert is the only thing i've not really seen the RFL do before

DB

First Grade
Any reason why Sam Tomkins was being booed when he carried the ball?

roughyedspud

Coach
apparently in the 'sun newspaper' on friday morning he said he has'nt ruled out a move to union...thats the excuse thats being given anyway...

but it's not uncommon for england/GB players from wigan,st helens or bradford to get booed at headingley anyway

God-King Dean

Immortal
Because he's a little cheapshot, junkie looking houso f**kwit most likely.....

I reallly should mute ESL games, because I end up just bitching about the commentary lol.

What about McRae. " Hodgson is just unlucky that he played in an era of great fullbacks for Australia - Brett Mullins comes to mind...... " Mullins? wtf? :lol:

God-King Dean

Immortal
Well the Exiles deserved to win yeah, and Sinfield is about as dangerous as a mannequin.

Eddie Hemmings, biased as shite, I loathe him, loved hearing him trying to put a positive spin on it, hahahahahahaha. Seeing Hemmings' face at the end was worth tuning in for. I think I'll go to the match next year to cheer the Exiles on, and to give a load of lip to the English merchant bankers.

GET THIS INTO YOU, THE EXILES WON, OH YEAH.

When Saints beat Wigan his face was priceless. Most unprofessional prick, & it doesn't help 50% of the time he's wrong.

The Popper

Bench
I saw the game. Attractive game. Add Ellis and Burgess and the Poms will have a good pack for the Four Nations, but their backs showed very little. I would have thought they needed to beat the exiles by 20pts. to show they will be a threat. They didn't.

WireMan

Bench
Good game i thought. Needs to be the stand alone game of the weekend though.

Thought the backs didn't have much chance, Sinfield the guy who was suppost to control the England team didn't have a good game. He is playing out of position and is out of form so maybe he should not of been picked. Or at least play him 13.

As for the booing, stupid really, funny listening to Wigan fans getting high and mighty when they booed Maguire at the DW last year when he played for England and then went on to wish career threatening injury on the fella. Stupid fans, a stain on the english game that club. Tomkins is also the most overated player in the super league. Did nothing at fullback except drop a ball over the line.

JasonE

Bench
Good game i thought. Needs to be the stand alone game of the weekend though.

Thought the backs didn't have much chance, Sinfield the guy who was suppost to control the England team didn't have a good game. He is playing out of position and is out of form so maybe he should not of been picked. Or at least play him 13.

As for the booing, stupid really, funny listening to Wigan fans getting high and mighty when they booed Maguire at the DW last year when he played for England and then went on to wish career threatening injury on the fella. Stupid fans, a stain on the english game that club. Tomkins is also the most overated player in the super league. Did nothing at fullback except drop a ball over the line.

Agree that Sinfield was poor but what about Richard Myler ?
Can someone tell him a scrumhalf is supposed to get his hands on the ball and direct the team around the field, not just stand out on the left and hope that someone makes a break.
The worst performance i have seen by a number 7 at International level, the sad thing is it isn't all his fault, that is how he is being coached at both Warrington and England.

WireMan

Bench
Agree that Sinfield was poor but what about Richard Myler ?
Can someone tell him a scrumhalf is supposed to get his hands on the ball and direct the team around the field, not just stand out on the left and hope that someone makes a break.
The worst performance i have seen by a number 7 at International level, the sad thing is it isn't all his fault, that is how he is being coached at both Warrington and England.

Its his game, at Warrington he has Briers who does the kicking and plays the controlling role.

Myler has never been that type of team controlling player. He is getting better at Warrington and the left side is functioning well but he is still young and in the international setup it was clearly Sinfields role to lead.

Anybody who thinks he is going to come into the international team and stop playing his game and suddenly play like Briers has no place commenting on anything rugby.