What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

English interest in Cowboys prop (RA)

nqboy

First Grade
http://townsvillebulletin.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,7034,11472182%5E14793,00.html

SEVERAL English Super League clubs are circling around North Queensland prop Paul Rauhihi (pictured) in a bid to lure the barnstorming Kiwi overseas after his contract expires with the Cowboys at the end of 2005.

English clubs Salford, St Helens, Warrington and Bradford all expressed interest in recruiting Rauhihi during the 31-year-old's recent stint in England for the Tri-Nations series with New Zealand.

Rauhihi's manager Peter Lord confirmed the pair had held "informal chats" with various English clubs after Rauhihi was earlier granted permission by the Cowboys to negotiate his future beyond 2005 while in England.

"There are four or five clubs that spoke to us," Lord said. "I know that (Bradford and Great Britain coach) Brian Noble had a good look at him."

While Rauhihi, who captained New Zealand in the Kiwis' final Tri-Nations loss to Great Britain last weekend, has committed to remaining with the Cowboys for next season, it is understood he is keen to finish his career overseas.

Cowboys football manager Peter Parr said the club was not resigned to losing the powerful prop after next season but would be unable to compete with cashed-up English clubs to retain his services.

"I think he's at the age now where he'd probably like to finish over in England," Parr said. "Whilst we'd love him to stay here, we can't compete with the money English clubs are offering."

However, Lord said Rauhihi's interest in playing overseas did not necessarily mean he wouldn't end up with the Cowboys after 2005.

Rauhihi is expected to return home to Townsville tomorrow.

Costaki

Juniors
cant those wankers from england get there own player im sic and tired of them trying to get our players.

Davester

Juniors
Yeah, seems like they can't produce much of their own talent. The sad thing is that it wont change, the Super League will continue snatching talent from Australia and New Zealand.

CC_Eagle

First Grade
I guess it isn't as bad as it could be. Rauhihi being 31 wouldn't have too many NRL seasons left in him anyway. Imagine if they were after Tronc...

Broncodroid

Juniors
Sadly, this is the UK way. A quick fix is better than a long term investment.

But hey, apparently if you listen to the naive UK fans, their competition is near enough NRL standard :lol: Maybe the big fella being lured their would be to his advantage...surely, if Andy Farrell is good enough to win the Golden Boot award, Rauhihi would be a contender as well in their competition.

yappy

Bench
Imagine if they were after Tronc...
Exactly. Let the Pommies blow their dough on pensioners. The Cows are going to need the dough to upgrade their Kangaroo Prop's contract in 06. The Great Rauhoohoo has been a big plus for them, but Tronc is going to be the Cowboys Webke.

JK

Those clubs should not be after someone like him! They should be after the younger players or sign up their own! :evil:

God-King Dean

Immortal
Broncodroid said:
Sadly, this is the UK way. A quick fix is better than a long term investment.

But hey, apparently if you listen to the naive UK fans, their competition is near enough NRL standard :lol: Maybe the big fella being lured their would be to his advantage...surely, if Andy Farrell is good enough to win the Golden Boot award, Rauhihi would be a contender as well in their competition.

& they completely forget that half their players are from the NRL

CC_Eagle

First Grade
I love watching ESL..

"Spot the has been" or "average player from 5 years ago" are my two favourite games.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
The more England decides to get some young talent in their grassroots, the better they'll improve. I believe England's got some good talent coming through the ranks.

yappy

Bench
When Wigan spruik the signing of Dennis Moran as though Joey himself has put pen to paper you know what the standard is really like. They are getting better, but if the St Helens kids who toured recently are any guide then that's where they should focus to ensure they keep getting better, not NRL has-beens and never-weres.

ozboy

Juniors
What else would you expect from SL clubs.

A 32 year old over there is just a rookie :D :D

Add to that he's played test football and won a Prop of the year award, the poms would be building him up as the greatest Prop of the last 20 years :lol: :lol:

Grantwhy

Juniors
Glen said:
Wow, I had no idea Rauhihi was that old.

Rauhihi didn't start playing RL full time untill he was about 27. Hopefully that might extend his career by a few years.