What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

English RL catching up ?

Billythekid

First Grade
Leave it as it is i say. Aussies don't care so the fact that we lose every year won't affect RL down under. However playing in England in front of 30,000+ fans is really going to benefit the SL. Not to mention it seems to be bringing in plenty of money as it currently is.

bluey

Bench
roughyedspud said:
we'll play it when every you want...but you lot don't want to play it after the grand final...

christ we even want to go down under to play it but you don't want that either..

we really need to sort this fixture out before the union boys cotton on to a world club championship game between the super 14 & european cup winners which i'm in no doubt will be done properly and played infront of 80,000 fans somewhere....and then again we will have missed the boat..

Fair call

saintrommel

Juniors
FWIW

Leeds have not been the best team in superleague its St Helens

Fair enough they beat Saints in the 2007 grand final easily on the night but St helens were 1 game away from another perfect season winning everything like in 2006,Challenge Cup,League leaders shield and Grand final winners:shock:

adamkungl

Immortal
saintrommel said:
FWIW

Leeds have not been the best team in superleague its St Helens

Fair enough they beat Saints in the 2007 grand final easily on the night but St helens were 1 game away from another perfect season winning everything like in 2006,Challenge Cup,League leaders shield and Grand final winners:shock:

same could be said of melbourne brisbane 06...

The Tank

Bench
roughyedspud said:
the solution...

we sync the ESL & NRL seasons so one finishes 1 week before the other, as a result the final 3 weeks of the club season would look like this..

WEEK ONE - THE ESL GF - WINNERS TRAVEL TO AUS
WEEK TWO - NRL GF
WEEK THREE - WORLD CLUB CHAMPIONSHIP @ SFS/SUNCORP/TELSTRA DOME

alternate the fixtures every year..

we don't need more teams,just the 2 winners of the NRL & ESL

Agreed. That'd be perfect. As if supporters of the Champs wouldn't pack the stadium a week after winning the title. And the Grand Final squads would be the same.

innsaneink

Referee
Rubbish. Crap solution.

A team works for and strives for one thing over an entire year , they finally reach that goal, the relief and ecstasy would be enormous.

And you expect em to get up for something else a week later?
Sorry.

Perth Red

Post Whore
NFL has the championship game and the superbowl
European soccer has it's league championship then the champions league
If the prize money was $1million, the game was televised worldwide and played in front of 80,000 I think the players would be up for it!

The Tank

Bench
innsaneink said:
Rubbish. Crap solution.

A team works for and strives for one thing over an entire year , they finally reach that goal, the relief and ecstasy would be enormous.

And you expect em to get up for something else a week later?
Sorry.

Well make it 2 weeks later then. Sinc both GF's to finish at the same time. Give em a week to celebrate and a week to prepare for the WCC. As it is, some players are already preparing for internatinal duty by that stage.

adamkungl

Immortal
Perth Red said:
If the prize money was $1million, the game was televised worldwide and played in front of 80,000 I think the players would be up for it!

To get a post GF game up and running, you would have to complete change the mindset of clubs...they aren't aiming for a premiership, they are aiming to be WC Champions. Huge culture shift, could be worth it if successfully pulled off though. increased interest in the NRL from the poms and the ESL by us. That could be worth huge sponsorship dollars in itself actually.

The downside is a slight decrease in the worth of a premiership, given you aren't the true winner if you get defeated a week later. Not to mention the celebrations would be ruined. How does the Superbowl work in this respect? Picture this example, Sharks win their first ever comp (LOL), everyone's celebrating, the Shire goes wild...except the players, they have a WCC to play for next week. Then they go and get flogged by Leeds. They can finally celebrate....but do they want to? They just lost. They won a premiership but in the end came up short, it would be like choking a week before the GF, Mad Monday just isn't the same.

But overall...it seems like a good idea if the NRL and ESL could get all clubs onside.

Perth Red said:

spot on.

like everything in RL, money solves all problems.

with crowds of 30,000 though lots of money will have been raised from this years game

ali

Bench
On the weather, that is the worst I have seen since I have moved to the UK. Friday night was freak conditions, I think I've maybe seen one or 2 games of RL with worse conditions than that, one was Cronulla vs Newcastle maybe in 1998 or 1999 at Shark Park. I don't think they would have advantaged one team or the other, as remember the Super League is played through the English summer. Furthermore, there was a comparison of Melbourne and Leeds weather in the match day program, and rainfall wise they are very similar.

The wind and rain was so bad, both teams struggled whenever they through the ball wide. You never knew which way the wind was going to gust. Both Slater and Webb, and also Lee Smith on the wing were amazing under the high balls.

Furthermore, I have no doubt the top English clubs are as strong as the best NRL teams. It's a matter of finance, Leeds can spend more money on players, and hence have guys like Lauiti'iti coming off the bench, who would start for any NRL team.

The Tank

Bench
ali said:
Furthermore, I have no doubt the top English clubs are as strong as the best NRL teams. It's a matter of finance, Leeds can spend more money on players, and hence have guys like Lauiti'iti coming off the bench, who would start for any NRL team.

I agree with what you're saying but Lauiti'iti has always been a benchie. He's lethal in spurts.

Bman26

Juniors
Lauiti'iti looked somewhat overweight imo. and would need to lose around 10kg to be a starter in the NRL, i'd say thats why he's benched over there as well.

Latest posts