What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Epalahame Lauaki

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I have to wonder if any of Hame's obvious improvement in attitude and work ethic comes down to his brothers success? You'd have to assume that there'd be some sibling rivalry going on there, and that Hame would want to match his brother's acheivements, albeit in a different code.

Iafeta

Referee
Thierry Henry said:
The number of people saying "I haven't seen much of him", about a guy who debuted in round 1 2004, pretty much tells the story.

Not particularly; you'd be hard pressed to find a non Warriors supporter who could name their first grade side without looking at the team sheet. Aside from Price, Wiki, McKinnon there's not a lot of attention given to the Warriors over here.

Iafeta

Referee
SpaceMonkey said:
I have to wonder if any of Hame's obvious improvement in attitude and work ethic comes down to his brothers success? You'd have to assume that there'd be some sibling rivalry going on there, and that Hame would want to match his brother's acheivements, albeit in a different code.

I know there was an article a couple of years ago about how both of them spent a bit of time together outside of team training sessions training together.

The players we dont hear about much including Luaki are all reaching their peaks and the warriors havent been in this good position before. Congratulations to Luaki for stepping his game up to the next level. Now lets kick Swann out and pinch Sione off the NZRU.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
I totally agree with T.H - you guys are seriously over-rating Lauaki - really he shouldnt be let anywhere near a test jersey (kiwi that is) and I think he should sign up for Tonga now.
He got to be one of the most 'lost' players in the NRL. Bad positioning in both attack and defense and for someone so big he doesnt have a big workload and has been prone to hiding out in the centres too much. He would be found out in test football - he might be able to run over Amos Roberts but could he run over Big Willie or even their wingers like Hayne, Growthe - No.
Also give away way too many penalties!!!

at least player like moimoi and tuiaki can do it on a regular basis plus manage to develop other areas of their game. (NZ have contacted them both - regarding playing for NZ)

I would rather give a young gun a squad position like Hauraki, Ben Teo, Harrison hell even sonny fai - who are all 21 or under.

List of props/backrowers in line before Lauaki:
fa'alogo
williams
eastwood
Blair
Harrison
Jeremy Smith
Mannering
Pritchard
Kidwell (if fit)

Those are just certainties, plus :
Harrison Hansen
Weller Hauraki
Puletua
Lautiti

For somebody that has been in the warriors top 25 and development for how long and this is his first memorable performance.

Again like T.H I far from hate him, i've seen him play since being with the warriors and trials matches etc. and recognised his ability to break tackles and wanted him to do well in the warriors.

For yous who say he should get more minutes - the reason he hasnt got much because of fitness

Thurston - "late bloomer" - please how was he a later bloomer, he showed talent while at the bulldogs and again looked even better once he was a giving a starting role at cowboys. The point he developed in to a class player.
the jury regarding Lauaki being a good player is still out.

Yes he will maintain his position in the team - but remember he has being dropped a few times already this season.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
exactly mmm (yikes, never thought I'd say that)

At his best Lauaki is a good player, but so is everyone else :? Needs to be put into context

You guys talk no sense. If you want a guy thats missing in action. A Logan Swann comes to mind. Lauaki to get a kiwi jersey this year. To all the idiots who think he wont wear the black and white jersey, eat lots of man sausage fools. You are crazy not to put this beast on the bench...

Raider_69

Post Whore
seen abit of the warriors and to be honest the bloke has been solid with out excelling, had a couple of top shelf games though, particually the last 2 months or so

bring it up again mid next season, if he is still maintaining his form, then we'll talk

Iafeta

Referee
Agree with R69. He does need to display more consistency, he does need to start seasons better. But having said that, right now, he's damaging off the bench and I'm looking, and I'm liking.

Skram

Juniors
I think at this point in the season you'd have to put him in the Kiwis squad but not in the team. If the Warriors make it a few games deep into the finals and Lauaki is performing, under that kind of pressure, as well as he is now then put him in the Kiwis team. He has displayed a lot of the weaknesses shown by mmm but if he's on his game and used in a similar role to the one he's in now he should excel.