What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eric Grothe

Stagger eel

Staff member
strider said:
eric has NEVER been good under the high ball - to me he seems to have bad hand-eye coordination - cos he seems to be better at catching when he puts his hands above his head (ie aussie rules style) than catching on his chest (which in league is very much considered the safer option) - by putting his hands above his head he can see the ball the whole way into his hands

Eric should be told by Hages to forget that he's a catching a ball and imagine it was Les Paul guitar..

he wouldn't have a problem then.

Bigfella

Coach
I don't think his problem is co-ordination - I have seen him make some amazing ctches, both of the high ball and low passes behind him.

But I agree his technique is high-risk. As someone said, the AFL technique is suited to a game where it doesn't matter if you knock-on!

He gets his hands too high above his eyes IMO.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
thats exactly what the AFL players do, its easier to watch the ball into your hands, much like Hayne's mark in the dieing seconds of the game last weekend

Suitman

Post Whore
An AFL ball is much lighter and therefore easier to catch. I think Eric's problem is that he times his jumps poorly.

Suity

Stagger eel

Staff member
Suitman said:
An AFL ball is much lighter and therefore easier to catch. I think Eric's problem is that he times his jumps poorly.

Suity

yeah, he's timing is really bad at times.

Utey

Coach
Timing the jump so you get into the best position is what he is getting so wrong. He's pretty lanky and with that comes un-coordination.

T-BONE MCGRAW

Juniors
Eric had a bit of a shocker with his handling but his running from dummy half coming from our own end is so important to our team. I actually don't think anyone does this better in the NRL than Eric. This is the main reason I am stoked he resigned with us. He is also just a massive prescence on the wing even if he is not having the best game.

Another thing you can't question from Friday night was his effort and committment which has possibly been questioned in the past. Keep it up Eric and your handling will come good

Watch for the Ben Smith and Grothe combo to start firing like 2005

Suitman

Post Whore
T-BONE MCGRAW said:
Eric had a bit of a shocker with his handling but his running from dummy half coming from our own end is so important to our team. I actually don't think anyone does this better in the NRL than Eric. This is the main reason I am stoked he resigned with us. He is also just a massive prescence on the wing even if he is not having the best game.

Another thing you can't question from Friday night was his effort and committment which has possibly been questioned in the past. Keep it up Eric and your handling will come good

Watch for the Ben Smith and Grothe combo to start firing like 2005

Agreed, and I hope so!!

Suity

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Suitman said:

Suity

as a man of the world who has played both games, a bigger ball is easier to mark than a smaller ball

Suitman

Post Whore
Twizzle said:
as a man of the world who has played both games, a bigger ball is easier to mark than a smaller ball

I'd rather catch a balloon than a medicine ball.
In saying that, it has seemed as though Erics timing is lining up with a balloon. :lol:

Suity

Hellsy

Immortal
Umm.... EW!!! :LOL:

Twizzle said:
I've read where they do this in the off season

Do they still do this tho? I know they did a few years ago, but havent heard anything in recent seasons

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Hellsy said:
Umm.... EW!!! :lol:

Do they still do this tho? I know they did a few years ago, but havent heard anything in recent seasons

I've left them my number if they need any more tips