What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ernie Wanka

iggy plop

First Grade
On 2SM today the Talkin' Sport boys were discussing great characters of rugby league over the years. Paul Langmack was on the panel and he brought up the name Ernie Wanka - a former Parramatta forward from the 70's.

Anyone see this rather unfortunately named man play or heard stories about him? I heard he was originally from Darwin and also played in the Brisbane league comp. Could you imagine the chant going around the ground when big Ernie took the field? :lol:

btw, Good to hear Langmack playing the clown again now he is free from coaching. He can be a funny prick.

bartman

Immortal
Can't place him, but I only go from about 1977 onwards...

You sure it wasn't just a gee-up? Paul Hogan had a character on his weekly TV show around then called Leo Wanker. :)

Go The Dolphins

Juniors
iggy plop said:
No he's definitely a real Wanka.

The funniest real name ever IMO.
must be related to wally lewis

i remember being at origin game in the 80s and i heard the chant
Wallys a wanka
Wallys a wanka :lol: :lol:

Suitman

Post Whore
The Northern Territory director of roads is indeed Ernie Wanka - the one and same that played for Parra in the seventies.

He returned there after his playing days to captain - coach the Darwin team, and still resides there.

I would think it is quite obvious why he keeps a low profile.
I even have old Big League programmes that have him listed.

Cheers Suity :D .

zulu

Juniors
iggy plop said:
On 2SM today the Talkin' Sport boys were discussing great characters of rugby league over the years. Paul Langmack was on the panel and he brought up the name Ernie Wanka - a former Parramatta forward from the 70's.

:lol:

LeagueXIII

First Grade
And here is the man himself from the programme of the 1983 Darwin RL Grand Final

26219777_10211135656973857_3334009527949517604_n.jpg