What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Euro X111

langpark

First Grade
One interesting thing that hasn't really been mentioned in all of this. Dean Buchan is CEO of Spanish Rugby League. What has he done / is doing? He has said himself that there has not been domestic matches in Spain for the last two years. Perhaps he should start by fixing that before trying to 'fix' all of Europe?

Oh dear....
St George was Greek, he never set foot in England, and have you seen the surnames in western England in particular. Have you had your DNA tested? Most ppl in western England are Celts. The green and white on the Welsh flag are the Tudor colours, Henry Tudor was a Celt, half his famly were from Pembrokeshire. Most of western England are about as Anglo-Saxon as Wairangi Koopu. England doesn't really exist, most of England should be known as Britain. St David was born in Britain as spoke the oldest living British language, St David is your patron saint.

roughyedspud

Coach
St George was Greek, he never set foot in England, and have you seen the surnames in western England in particular. Have you had your DNA tested? Most ppl in western England are Celts. The green and white on the Welsh flag are the Tudor colours, Henry Tudor was a Celt, half his famly were from Pembrokeshire. Most of western England are about as Anglo-Saxon as Wairangi Koopu. England doesn't really exist, most of England should be known as Britain. St David was born in Britain as spoke the oldest living British language, St David is your patron saint.

Shut up u effing idiot

milton

Juniors
One group should focus on the north of the continent while the other on the south (or split east/ west whatever works).

that way there would be 2 pro comps, less travel, bigger reach in each etc. winners of each can play off for euro 13 champion or something like that

adamkungl

Immortal
Positive talks is a good start. There's no reason why this can't be resolved in a productive way... except the usual Rugby League stuff of egos, control, and fighting for scraps.

From what we can gather, the E13 idea is:
Existing clubs from around Europe, with players from their nations.
Central draft of higher level players paid professionally with the rest being Amateur - Semi-pro players.
Cup Knockout in year 1, full League in year 2.
Gradual expansion/growth with the aim of being in the same ballpark as the existing 2 major comps.

The RLEF discussions seem to be targeting more of a "Super League" idea,
with new clubs in major cities chosen for strategic and financial value.
Other details are unknown but you would assume they are more or less similar, as it will be impossible to be fully professional straight off the bat.

I think there's some decent compromises and the bones of a good comp here.

Firstly, around governance. EuroXIII could be the competition body sanctioned by the RLEF, but the RLEF has to make some money out of this.

Secondly, around teams and locations. I support using existing clubs, but there should be a strict criteria on locale branding and suitable stadiums. Example, lets say Lillestrom Lions apply from Norway. Their application would be dependent on rebranding their first team as Oslo Lions and have a suitable city location. We have to look bigger than small towns. Internationally known regions or cities.

We start with 1 team per country, and that team becomes the high level pathway between the national team and the local comp. Ideally, local comps grow in size and quality as a result.
I would stick to continental Europe. UK and Ireland clubs should push the RFL if they want to play at a higher level.
On growing and expanding the competition, some nations may be given more than 1 team, similar to the Champions League, on the basis of their domestic playing numbers and quality. It would be obvious that France may have an extra team quite early, and Serbia and Greece may follow.

It is crucial that regardless of format or governance, there needs to be financial and broadcast backing, and the competition must have a professional image, even before professional players. Without this, it is a novelty. As good as the USARL and BSL are, they struggle with consistency and growth because there is no money involved. Same goes for the European Cup.

langpark

First Grade
It is crucial that regardless of format or governance, there needs to be financial and broadcast backing, and the competition must have a professional image, even before professional players. Without this, it is a novelty. As good as the USARL and BSL are, they struggle with consistency and growth because there is no money involved. Same goes for the European Cup.
This right here, is the biggest flaw in the Euro XIII plan. They say they want to be an amateur competition, but also with a broadcast deal. Amateur sport, does not appeal to any broadcaster and will struggle even to appeal to the most diehard of fans!

adamkungl

Immortal
This right here, is the biggest flaw in the Euro XIII plan. They say they want to be an amateur competition, but also with a broadcast deal. Amateur sport, does not appeal to any broadcaster and will struggle even to appeal to the most diehard of fans!

It all depends on whether they have real investors behind it.
A professional image could be more important than the highest quality players, especially for new audiences.
Nice, boutique stadiums and a slick broadcast production could go along way to enticing viewers while the quality of athletes catches up over a few years.

langpark

First Grade
It all depends on whether they have real investors behind it.
A professional image could be more important than the highest quality players, especially for new audiences.
Nice, boutique stadiums and a slick broadcast production could go along way to enticing viewers while the quality of athletes catches up over a few years.
Come on, you are joking, right? I get 'important', but 'more important'? If a sport I am indifferent to, let's say, field hockey, was being played in a beautiful stadium, it would not make me any more likely to watch it, or to stay tuned in once I flicked onto the channel it's playing on.

As for the standard catching up over a few years, again I just cannot see it happening. Under the current format, there are 8 teams and it's a knockout. Meaning 4 teams will play just one match then get knocked out. I doubt we are going to see the amateur to semi-pro gap bridged when matches are being played at a rate of one per year for some teams.

I think a lot of us really want to believe in the idea, but if you remove the 'emotional' side of it and just think in terms of practicality, it does seem a non-starter.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Come on, you are joking, right? I get 'important', but 'more important'? If a sport I am indifferent to, let's say, field hockey, was being played in a beautiful stadium, it would not make me any more likely to watch it, or to stay tuned in once I flicked onto the channel it's playing on.

As for the standard catching up over a few years, again I just cannot see it happening. Under the current format, there are 8 teams and it's a knockout. Meaning 4 teams will play just one match then get knocked out. I doubt we are going to see the amateur to semi-pro gap bridged when matches are being played at a rate of one per year for some teams.

I think a lot of us really want to believe in the idea, but if you remove the 'emotional' side of it and just think in terms of practicality, it does seem a non-starter.

I agree with most of these points but the plan was for it to be a league format from 2022 onwards I believe which will be much better than a cup format.

I hope that the professional comp idea from the RLEF prevails though as I agree with you, an actual pro comp is a better outcome for the game in Europe, the trick then is to make sure there is a domestic quota for each participating club so that the nations involve progress over the coming decades.

adamkungl

Immortal

The stated plan is for a cup format for only 1 year.

Well all know what field hockey is. Rugby League is for a lot of people a bit of an unknown. It's not an apples to apples comparison.
Rugby League is an entertaining game at any level. I have no doubt that amateurs training 3 times a week under decent coaches could put on a good game. Potential audiences in Italy and Spain won't be comparing it to NRL for some time. Much like I expect you or I probably couldn't tell a high level amateur game of hockey from a pro one.
And I have no doubt that's its more likely to catch eyeballs with a quality presentation. No one's gonna pay attention to a sport played out of a backwater park with no seating and filmed with a phone camera.

Latest posts