What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

EVERYONE - When did you decide to support the Eels?

Stagger eel

Staff member
I remember one game at Lidcombe Oval when Mick Cronin mowed down Terry Lamb, who had burst through a gap and looked certain to score. Wests won (as they often did). Parramatta and Wests - the original and best local derby! Of course, Manly and Norths were great, too.

you're right about Wests always winning, they were almost unbeatable at Lidcome, i remember going to a few games there and it was always packed, especially in the late 70's.

JoeyJoJo83

Juniors
Been a Parra fan for as long as I can remember, I remember going to the games with my dad cutting through Parramatta Park, over the bridge and sitting in the western terrace. Man they where some good memories, and it was never a planned trip to the ground we would have Sunday lunch and then my dad would tell me to get up and lets go to the game.

parra pete

Referee
HERE IS A BIT OF NAME DROPPING-----See if you can top this!!!!! :lol: :lol:

I was at Lidcombe Oval the day Parra beat Wests to end a 13 year (from memory) losing streak at the ground. I think it was in 1984 - yes it was. I went into the Dressing Sheds after the game with Fitzy, and had a yarn to (then) Telegraph reporter Les Muir. Les is now with the Wagga Daily Advertiser.
I was in my Sydney on my way to Moree where I had six weeks relieving duty - when I was a public servant. (seems like many moons ago, in another life)
In the next day coverage, in Les wrote something along the lines of.... "One Eels fan travelled over 600km to be at the game. Parra Pete came up from Hay to witness the Parramatta Club's breaking of the hoodoo".
Next day in the Moree Office, the boss from Sydney rang up to see if I had arrived. He told the boss at the Moree Office to tell me "It didn't go unnoticed"..I was supposed to go straight to Moree without any stopovers....:lol:
BTW, I also went into the Wests shed at the same game after the game as I was good mates with John Coveney who was a Wests prop at the time (but was out injured on that day).
Believe it or not, I was good friends with the Lidcombe Oval 'dressing shed' doorman. His name was Alf Reynolds, and I had known him for many many years through my footballing days...
SMALL WORLD eh!!!!.

CannyDrnkovich

Juniors
We lived in the Hills so Parra was geographically the closest team to us. Dad supported the eels, and he took me to my first game which was co-incidentally the opening of Parra Stadium by the great Queen Elizabeth the 2nd in 1986 (i was 7) I got to meet the great Peter Wynn and Pricey and Ive been hooked ever since......:cool:

Both Cranky and Muchy made our Greatest Eels EVA! Team.

When a game is on and we're talking about players, we don't use their real names but their Greatest Eels EVA! names. Cranky made the starting team but Muchy had to settle for the 16.

CannyDrnkovich

Juniors
By the way Canny, sorry to spoil your boyhood dream but the Queen didn't open the Stadium on the day of the first game. She did it during the week preceeding the game.

Suity

oh well it was a long time ago :eek: either way i went to both the opening (QE2 turned up late in the black Rolls if i recall) and the utter flogging of the dragons :)

Parra R 4 Me

Juniors
Living in Brisbane, my kids only ever heard people talking about the Broncos. But being the mum I am and always looking out for their welfare, I told them people are swearing when they say Bronco's so I don't ever want to hear them say that word. So they are born and breed Eels supporters.

Daneel

Bench
Living in Brisbane, my kids only ever heard people talking about the Broncos. But being the mum I am and always looking out for their welfare, I told them people are swearing when they say Bronco's so I don't ever want to hear them say that word. So they are born and breed Eels supporters.

Good one, also living in qld was worried about my kids hearing nothing but broncos, so i told them everytime they hear or say the word broncos it should be immediately followed up with the word suck.

parra pete

Referee
Who, the Queen of England?
Thankfully never.

Suity

:lol: :lol:

Was it a singing telegram??????
A telegram delivery man rings the bell to deliver his next telegram. A old woman answers and says "Oh goody! A singing telegram..I've always wanted to get one of these." The delivery man replies "I'm sorry ma'am but this isn't a singing telegram, it's just a regular telegram." The woman, obviously disappointed, sighs and says "Couldn't you sing it to me anyway, I'm 91 years old and this may be my last chance to get a singing telegram? The delivery man says "No ma'am, it's not the kind of telegram you sing, and I don't sing very well anyway." The woman pleads and pleads with him "Please, please sing me telegram.."

The man finally gives in and starts-up "Da-da-de-dum-dum-dum..Your sister Rose is dead..."

Last edited:

EELICIT

Juniors
At the tender age of 5 i seem to remember watching the 81 GF ! The fact that my favourite colour was blue and i liked wearing my dads gold chains etc might have been the catalist to my eels passion. My brother was a hard core eels fan at the tender age of nine and he was interested in playing footy from a young age but living in the belmore area and going to belmore sports ground he soon turned to the darkside ALA BULLFROGS ! My passion for the blue and gold never waivered and i have remained an eels fan since !

Latest posts