What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expansion lessons for the US?

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Hi all,

This is a fascinating article, even if it is about soccer in the US.

There may be some lessons here in how to expand an unknown sport like RL into new areas??

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2018/oct/23/atlanta-united-atl-soccer-football-love-story
I’m sure winning and topping the league has helped Atlanta a lot but nonetheless the success of MLS is remarkable.

Unfortunately everything comes down to Money and RL are paupers compared to football(soccer) and even Union. The only way to spread rugby league in North America is to follow the Toronto Wolfpack model while slowly building the game at grassroots level at the same time. Somehow try and tap into the college and university sporting culture.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I’m sure winning and topping the league has helped Atlanta a lot but nonetheless the success of MLS is remarkable.

Unfortunately everything comes down to Money and RL are paupers compared to football(soccer) and even Union. The only way to spread rugby league in North America is to follow the Toronto Wolfpack model while slowly building the game at grassroots level at the same time. Somehow try and tap into the college and university sporting culture.

The most obvious immediate move would be to play home games out of the College stadiums. I dont know if this would be appropriate for the Wolfpack, but for any future expansion teams, it seems like an idea worth looking at.

Perth Red

Post Whore
If you could get RL into the Universities you would go a long way to getting it across the country. Forget USA SL teams this is where the game should be investing, sadly we just dont have the money available to do it. These Unis are like mini cities and would take to RL if given the chance Im sure.