What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expert weekend wrap and Power rankings

lzd

Juniors
I occasionally browse the articles on LU and FRF. Generally i find the site quite good, but a couple of things in particular i think could do with improvement.

First, the "expert weekend wrap" published at the completion of each round. I found the title of this enticing, but when I open the article each week I'm disappointed to find no more than a round-up of who scored and maybe a couple of other token comments. Hardly an expert wrap, and more like someone's just read the paper this morning and wrote an article about it on LU.

Secondly are the power rankings. A great innovation, but could do with some finetuning. I find the changes in these from one week to the next quite bizarre. How a team can go from first or second one week, to all of a sudden dropping 8 places on the back of one loss is a bit bizarre. You could argue it reflects the closeness of the competition, I'd argue it reflects over-reaction to one particular result and doesn't truely canvas the current form of the team, which a power ranking should do.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
lzd said:
First, the "expert weekend wrap" published at the completion of each round. I found the title of this enticing, but when I open the article each week I'm disappointed to find no more than a round-up of who scored and maybe a couple of other token comments. Hardly an expert wrap, and more like someone's just read the paper this morning and wrote an article about it on LU.
Thanks for the feedback.

Tuesday Expert League Wrap is just as the title says. It is a full weekend wrap of:
- match results
- scorers
- referees
- crowd figures
- fixture information
- half time scores
- and a link to each LU match report and live commentary.

In addition, its gives the reader the list of matches coming up next round as well a run down of the table standings.

Tuesdays Expert is also in charge of compiling and listing the LeagueUnlimited Player Awards which is hugely popular.

It is not just something that 'someone's just read the paper' - these are home grown stats from LeagueUnlimited which are put together over the weekend following hours of effort.

For the record, 'Tuesdays Expert' (previously known as 'Mondays Expert') is actually far more popular than it has been in previous years.

All in all, its a one stop shop for the reader who doesn't want to navigate though pages of information. And it seems to be well read.

The preamble is just a small part of the feature. But your point is noted. Tuesday's grandfather, Monday, used to write with more flair and some his best work was in 2003. His round wrap used to be lot more opiniated and tongue-in-cheek. But alas, times have changed. We have a lot more opinion writers and nowdays, the League Wrap will only sometimes put the boot in. But it does happen every other week... you only have to long time reader and you'll see what I mean. :D

Someone else will have to reply to Power Rankings question.

Cheers and thanks again. :thumn