What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Extra Time in Finals

TheDMC

Bench
NRL is introducing 5 minute halves of extra time for finals matches starting this year. If still tied, then to golden point.

http://www.nrl.com/nrl-statement-extra-time-in-finals-matches/tabid/10874/newsid/98961/default.aspx

I don't see the point. Extra time will basically be the same as golden point, except you have the 'right of reply' until the 10 minutes are up. Will still be a drop goal fest and potentially looking at 20 minutes on top of the 80 mins.

Why not just have a draw and have the winner decided by which team ended higher up the ladder in during the regular season. Coming into the game, one team will know they have to win to go through - and won't be fluffing about with field goals to draw the match in regular time etc...

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The last couple of season have already seen more tries scored to win GP matches than before so with proper extra time happening in finals I think we'll see more attempts at scoring 4-pointers.

We'll never not have field goals attempted in extra time but this will at least entice teams to do a bit more than the 5 tackles, field goal attempt each match.

Why not just have a draw in finals? Pls.

And for a Grand Final?

TheDMC

Bench
I don't see any incentive to go for a try compared to golden point. its only 10 mins...1 point could well win it and is the easiest option.

A game of two halves is now a game of six halves!

My main problem with golden point and extra time is that the refereeing suddenly changes dramatically.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
You don't see the incentive in being 4 or 6 ahead instead of 1 ahead?

Golden point the refereeing might change dramatically but I reckon limited extra time would actually work in referees favour as they'd like feel more comfortable giving penalties knowing it's not a finite decision for the match

some11

Referee
Hopefully brings an end to the farce of offside players running at a wall of blockers without being penalised.

I imagine we'll see some crazy offloading going on during ET in the finals this year.

Parra

Referee
Should be the same rules for finals. As bad as magic field goal is, it works to remove a draw.

Jetka100

Juniors
I think during the regular season, it should be 10 extra minutes with a try giving an automatic win. Field goals and penalties would still count and if a team is ahead on points at the end of the ten minutes than they will win if no try is scored. If scores are still level, than the team who scored first in extra time will be the winner. If no one scores during the extra time, it will be a draw. This would encourage a team to go all out for a try but also not encourage giving away penalties.

The other change I would like to see is allowing the attacking team at the end of each half get a full set of six regardless of when the siren sounds. They would also be able to continue until such time as there is a change in possession, so they could continue to try and score if the other team is penalised or they force a goal line dropout. This I think would make for some exciting finishes and allow a team to try and construct a try with a bit of thought.

Last Week

Bench
I think during the regular season, it should be 10 extra minutes with a try giving an automatic win. Field goals and penalties would still count and if a team is ahead on points at the end of the ten minutes than they will win if no try is scored. If scores are still level, than the team who scored first in extra time will be the winner. If no one scores during the extra time, it will be a draw. This would encourage a team to go all out for a try but also not encourage giving away penalties.

The other change I would like to see is allowing the attacking team at the end of each half get a full set of six regardless of when the siren sounds. They would also be able to continue until such time as there is a change in possession, so they could continue to try and score if the other team is penalised or they force a goal line dropout. This I think would make for some exciting finishes and allow a team to try and construct a try with a bit of thought.

So a team can kick 2 penalties in extra time and not win automatically. But if their opponents then score a try, they'll win despite being level.

Your second point has merit. Wouldnt mind seeing it tested to be honest.

Jetka100

Juniors
I guess I would like to see referees not being afraid to award penalties in extra time as well as encourage try scoring so I wouldn't have a big issue with a team winning by scoring a try after the unlikely event of the other team getting 2 penalty goals in extra time.

Hutty1986

Immortal
About time. Ridiculous that sides can have their seasons end because of an arsey field goal...and my team has been on the end of them twice. No way did Brisbane deserve to lose the biggest game of all (conservative tactics aside) in GP. At least give sides a chance to hit back.

I've always thought it should be 10mins each way like the old days. Like when we steamrolled the Tigers in extra time of the 89GF, or when the Panthers steamrolled us in extra time in the 90 Major Semi. I've always thought a team losing a final by GP was unfair.

....But then it happened to Brisbane, and I was all good with it.

GW.

Juniors
NRL is introducing 5 minute halves of extra time for finals matches starting this year. If still tied, then to golden point.

http://www.nrl.com/nrl-statement-extra-time-in-finals-matches/tabid/10874/newsid/98961/default.aspx

I don't see the point. Extra time will basically be the same as golden point, except you have the 'right of reply' until the 10 minutes are up. Will still be a drop goal fest and potentially looking at 20 minutes on top of the 80 mins.

Why not just have a draw and have the winner decided by which team ended higher up the ladder in during the regular season. Coming into the game, one team will know they have to win to go through - and won't be fluffing about with field goals to draw the match in regular time etc...

GW here,
agree 100%.

Its actually illogical having a golden point setup. If one team kicks off, and at the end of that set the halfback slots a 40m drop goal, they win and thats completely unfair to the team thats only mishap was losing the coin toss.

Its akin to a major soccer match going into penalty time and as soon as the first penalty shooter misses, the other team wins, despite the potential they may have missed as well in the following shot.Obly benefits the team that got first dip.

At the VERY least, change it to golden try so the hot potato comes into effect. Can still have the one pointers count should it be a deadlock.

Right of reply is both a sporting, and life, marker of equity.

Uncle Kraka

Juniors
GW here,
agree 100%.

Its actually illogical having a golden point setup. If one team kicks off, and at the end of that set the halfback slots a 40m drop goal, they win and thats completely unfair to the team thats only mishap was losing the coin toss.

Its akin to a major soccer match going into penalty time and as soon as the first penalty shooter misses, the other team wins, despite the potential they may have missed as well in the following shot.Obly benefits the team that got first dip.

At the VERY least, change it to golden try so the hot potato comes into effect. Can still have the one pointers count should it be a deadlock.

Right of reply is both a sporting, and life, marker of equity.

Losing the toss is the first mishap. Letting the attacking team 70m downfield to be able to slot a FG was the second

GW.

Juniors
Losing the toss is the first mishap. Letting the attacking team 70m downfield to be able to slot a FG was the second

In the modern game its not unreasonable to have first tackle on the 15m, 2nd 26, 3rd 40, 4th 50 and 5th on the 60. They are very conservative numbers

Uncle Kraka

Juniors
In the modern game its not unreasonable to have first tackle on the 15m, 2nd 26, 3rd 40, 4th 50 and 5th on the 60. They are very conservative numbers
5th tackle on the 40m line will have you drop kicking from over halfway. If you nail that you deserve to win

TheDMC

Bench
You don't see the incentive in being 4 or 6 ahead instead of 1 ahead?

Golden point the refereeing might change dramatically but I reckon limited extra time would actually work in referees favour as they'd like feel more comfortable giving penalties knowing it's not a finite decision for the match

Yes I see that incentive of course, but I just don't think it is enough of an incentive that will push teams to go for a try...and for evidence, its EXACTLY the same incentive when scores are tied with 10 minutes of regular time to go. And 95% of the time that 10 mins is a drop-goalathon as we have seen game after game for the past few years.

Would be interesting to see the stats of recent season games when scores are tied with 10 to go what % of games have had one or more attempted field goals in that period. Must be over 90%...games won by a try might be misleading...ie Rapana canberra winner - was a dropgoal try!

siv

First Grade
I would had 10 min ET halves for finals

It should be a draw for egular season matches because

GP when combined with 8 interchanges and 5d turnarounds detracts further to a players health

some11

Referee
Yeah, can we ahh bring back draws for the regular season while we're changing the rules.

Tonight was disgraceful.