What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

F.O Andrew Webster

Meth

Staff member
lol, not really. Not yet anyway.

But surely we all agree the golden boy sheen is starting to wear off, after watching us capitulate to a team destined for the wooden spoon, battling away with the most predictable of attacking plans and looking defensively shit.

Blair

Coach
I was starting this thread today. If anything, we might get rid of a few of the worst fair-weatherers. There's not a huge amount of unpalatable fans that have turned up lately but still, let's have them gone, for now.

Mt Smart will still be rocking this year without them.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
LOL

I’ll back him to be good enough to figure it out, the gameplan and use of the bench have been glaring negatives the last couple of weeks

Feel he needs to learn to loosen up a touch, they are bogged down in structure and playing the game on paper rather than with eyes up on the grass. As I mentioned in the game day thread I heard him mentioning “developing game models to get backrowers imvolved” during the week, not really a fan of that

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
I think ultimately Webster is a very conservative and unimaginative coach with a good grasp on team culture and man-management.

That’s not necessarily a bad thing because the best coaches are often a bit like that.

It’s a style of coaching that can eke the best out of a mediocre squad (us last year, Cleary at the Warriors) and ensure an elite squad keeps winning (Cleary, Panthers) but it’s not actually going to extract any longer term improvement out of a mediocre squad. The style of coaching is not set up to get a squad to transcend itself by improving skills or outwitting opposition teams with clever plans, it’s just about ‘playing hard’ (and I guess hoping that the good vibes encourage better players to come to the club).

Last edited:

Leber

Bench
Lol. Yeah I thought last week was his first real 'red flag' how he used the bench and it wasn't any better this week.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I think it's worth remembering we're talking about a coach in his second season, very few games into it as well.

So yeah, he's going to fail at times. He's going to learn from it. Ivan took, what, 12-13 years to win a comp? Not that I expect or hope Webster does that, but yeah he's going to make mistakes, he's going to do things that we think WTF. It's so different being in the head honcho seat from playing second banana to Ivan - the buck stops with you, and we ain't the Panthers so he's learning on the fly.

He's an intelligent guy, who I would say has enough of an absence of ego to acknowledge he's getting it wrong in places...I just hope he has mentors who can help him to do so, because that person ain't Stacey, it ain't Cameron George, and I'm not sure if it could be Richard Agar or Andrew McFadden.

I’m never sure what to make of people who bag ‘fairweather fans’ because I’m the first to turn on the team, which apparently is a fairweather trait, but I’ve never taken a week off being a fan in 29 years.
I think fair-weather stop showing up vs criticising the team!

Team has 3 days off, back on Monday.
Wonder if they can show up to gym and get some rehab?
Webster needs to be watching other teams and coming up with something new.

Matiunz

Juniors
The concerns for me are some of the areas we have gone backwards in;
Resilience
Composure
Defence
Left side attack
Playing for 80 mins.
Webby shame plan seems to have been cracked by the opposition but we don’t seem capable of adapting.
Get that Webby main trait us his calm demeanour but last 3 weeks these boys have needed an absolute rocket.
Always had a degree of caution about continuing last years success but haven’t enjoyed the cracks appearing so soon

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
One thing that stuck out today was the overly conservative gameplan in the middle section of the game, particularly with attacking kicks. Toward the end we started contesting them and getting results, that should’ve come earlier.
And yeah the bench use is still perplexing.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
What were the thoughts on Tevaga and 1 other having a big laugh on the sideline while their team is down 27-12 ?

Last edited:

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
What were the thoughts on Tevaga and 1 other having a big laugh on the sideline while their team is down 27-12 ?
I didn't see that. I think it would've irked me, because I was sitting there on the couch, giving my kids a great laugh as I huffed and puffed and got increasingly more pissed off.

But ultimately, I don't think we have a 'give a shit' problem, so it's not a big issue to me. It's just an average look that young professional footballers are getting worse at recognising.

Matua

Bench
I’m never sure what to make of people who bag ‘fairweather fans’ because I’m the first to turn on the team, which apparently is a fairweather trait, but I’ve never taken a week off being a fan in 29 years.
Fairweather fans will stop watching, so you're not a fairweather fan.

Edit: Phillip beat me to it.

Leber

Bench
I sit right by there and I saw it. It was sifakulu. It really pissed me off. Plus, one of them caught a kick from a penalty and they all laughed and found it funny.
They should have been miserable.

Matua

Bench
When I was a younger man I would have got all heated up about players on the sideline laughing. But not anymore.

Who in their workplace hasn't shared a laugh with coworkers as things have gone pear shaped?

Sharing a laugh over something doesn't mean they're not taking the loss hard.

One thing that stuck out today was the overly conservative gameplan in the middle section of the game, particularly with attacking kicks. Toward the end we started contesting them and getting results, that should’ve come earlier.
And yeah the bench use is still perplexing.
This!!!

Its all good to bomb the right side and have Berry tackle them 3m out from their line. But the Titans were pretty composed and didnt crack.

Wasnt until we were contesting those bombs in the 2nd half that we were getting some results

Latest posts