What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

F.O Andrew Webster

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Playing outside TMM and inside Montoya I just don't think he has had, or will get, many situations where passing to Montoya is more likely to lead to a try than Montoya getting bundled over the sideline.
Likely true. Most of the time I’m seeing him trying to put a bit of footwork on, maybe getting an extra few metres out of it but not much else.

My issue with him isn’t so much his physical attributes (he’s probably lost a yard of pace but he looks bigger and stronger now) but that I’m not convinced his skill set suits centre.
I’m seeing a lot of trying to beat players with footwork but not enough hitting gaps at the right angle or setting up his winger.
So he isn't been coached how to play centre.

You think the could at times get RTS to drop back for the kick and Montoya move to centre for an RTS return kick return.

Yep, although the Roosters looked cooked a few weeks back, but i don’t think we have that level of quality to turn around quickly
What changed at Roosters?

I'd say we have similar quality but maybe less mental toughness and less plans/plays in the book.

Meth

Staff member
So he isn't been coached how to play centre.

You think the could at times get RTS to drop back for the kick and Montoya move to centre for an RTS return kick return.

I think they consider Montoya’s kick returns to be his most endearing facet

JJ

Immortal
His inability to change strategy or personnel is Kearney-esque atm, we’re a long way behind in terms of top 4 which was the goal

Big Marn

Juniors
His inability to change strategy or personnel is Kearney-esque atm, we’re a long way behind in terms of top 4 which was the goal
i was thinking last week that our game is very reminiscent of Kearneyball, in terms of high completion rate and no offloading, but last year we were winning games because we had an actual strategy for scoring points. Now our attack plan has been defused by the other teams and this year at times we look like a proper Kearneyball team that cant score points.
I think when we scored points today, some of it was off the back of adlib play and offloads from desperation, eg Ale to AFB. The cut out pass from SJ down the left was like the old days to Fusitua, and also something Walsh liked to do when he was with us, but we hadnt seen that all year.
Going forward i would love to see the offload rate be abit higher (more risks) and have SJ operating down the left when he wants to. TMM just needs to go to dummy half or something and get out of the way.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
When they got that far behind early, i thought how will they get back into it. At that point I had a look, and although heralded as one of the squads with the most depth in the NRL, it is actually the least dynamic squad as well

AFB is the only guy on the park I can see that has genuine ability to break a tackle and create something on his own. SJs days of being that guy are behind him

The backrow is complete plod, there is no option there for the halves to pass the ball on and see if they can create something, all the other sides have it. The recruitment decisions to let Katoa and Curran go have been poor, they offered something with the ball in hand or good hole running. Capewell and Ford are toilers and Tohu can create but he may be the slowest player in the NRL now. The bench offers zero impact in this regard. Not much offload ability among the back row either

Move to the backline and it’s more of the same. RTS is a big loss as obviously he is a guy that can come up with something out of nothing. CNK is a great effort player and line runner, but not a creator outside of structure, DWZ can finish well, but the likes of Berry, Pompey, Kosi etc don’t offer anything, no speed, no step. Once the opposition are through the front line there isn’t much there to chase them down

Combine all that, and structure is the only way they can create anything, and opposition are reading that so easily, that the Warriors are really stuck in a hole with no obvious way out. Don’t feel like Egan is playing well either, overplaying the same short ball play over and over inside the 20m zone and wasting good ball

Going forward the Warriors need to find some barnstorming back rowers and some genuine pace that can break them out of complete predictability.

They aren’t a poor side at all, effort isn’t a question, they are just missing a few ingredients

Big Marn

Juniors
When they got that far behind early, i thought how will they get back into it. At that point I had a look, and although heralded as one of the squads with the most depth in the NRL, it is actually the least dynamic squad as well

AFB is the only guy on the park I can see that has genuine ability to break a tackle and create something on his own. SJs days of being that guy are behind him

The backrow is complete plod, there is no option there for the halves to pass the ball on and see if they can create something, all the other sides have it. The recruitment decisions to let Katoa and Curran go have been poor, they offered something with the ball in hand or good hole running. Capewell and Ford are toilers and Tohu can create but he may be the slowest player in the NRL now. The bench offers zero impact in this regard. Not much offload ability among the back row either

Move to the backline and it’s more of the same. RTS is a big loss as obviously he is a guy that can come up with something out of nothing. CNK is a great effort player and line runner, but not a creator outside of structure, DWZ can finish well, but the likes of Berry, Pompey, Kosi etc don’t offer anything, no speed, no step. Once the opposition are through the front line there isn’t much there to chase them down

Combine all that, and structure is the only way they can create anything, and opposition are reading that so easily, that the Warriors are really stuck in a hole with no obvious way out. Don’t feel like Egan is playing well either, overplaying the same short ball play over and over inside the 20m zone and wasting good ball

Going forward the Warriors need to find some barnstorming back rowers and some genuine pace that can break them out of complete predictability.

They aren’t a poor side at all, effort isn’t a question, they are just missing a few ingredients
Katoa was always going to be one of those ones where we regretted it. Curran is looking good so far but can he sustain it? I think on the back of last year, we were all thinking RTS might be the missing ingredient and then Metcalfe went down, CHT went down and now RTS has gone down. Niukore is also one that is a bit more than just a toiler and can operate in the centres quite serviceably if needed.

JJ

Immortal

Bit harsh on Harris?

but agree overall, regardless of the technicalities, got to have RTS more involved…. CNK’s effort will work anywhere, and TMM isn’t working that well. Imo time to roll the dice, our middles are going well, should be doing more on the back of that

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Bit harsh on Harris?

but agree overall, regardless of the technicalities, got to have RTS more involved…. CNK’s effort will work anywhere, and TMM isn’t working that well. Imo time to roll the dice, our middles are going well, should be doing more on the back of that

Just judging Harris in terms of a running threat with ball in hand. The subtleness with the hands is there and can create, but with the ball under the arm he isn’t a tackle breaker, his knee seems to really hamper him getting around

Reactions: JJ

JJ

Immortal
Just judging Harris in terms of a running threat with ball in hand. The subtleness with the hands is there and can create, but with the ball under the arm he isn’t a tackle breaker, his knee seems to really hamper him getting around
Yeah, big talent but Father Time and the brutality of the game telling now I think