What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Facebook Questions Rd 2

born an eel

Bench
He's always been a good tryscoring winger. But we've got the halves now that we don't need wingers who can make a try out of nothing.
that's the thing about your fascination with try assists, it doesn't show what the try scorer did with regards to running holes etc.

the fact we have better halves will only increase the try scoring abilities of a winger like Burt. He reads the play well and knows how to position himself.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
that's the thing about your fascination with try assists

I don't give a f**k about try assists. My fascination is with linebreak assists.

it doesn't show what the try scorer did with regards to running holes etc.

Assuming you're talking about LBAs, you're right that the quality of a playmaker's teammates will influence his LBA (and TA) numbers.

But rugby league isn't a game where you can judge a player's performances in isolation from those of his teammates (or opposition for that matter), so we just have to make do with observation and conjecture.

That's why the game promotes such lively debate.

the fact we have better halves will only increase the try scoring abilities of a winger like Burt. He reads the play well and knows how to position himself.

Definitely. But those same halves will also increase the try scoring abilities of everyone else on the team, and since one of those halves is a defensive weakness it would be good if we had as few defensive liabilities across the rest of the team as possible.

Anyway, Kearney agrees with you, so you're in good company.

bartman

Immortal
Burt and Sio seem to be to be the two best wingers we have in the squad this year by a fair margin.

Morgan seems to be doing ok as a centre to me, and along with W Tonga seems to be in the best two centres we have in the squad this year. Morgan and Sio looked like it's a combination that was solid in defence and will gel in attack.

Esi Tonga looks like he needs a bit of work to me, but can fill in in the case of injury at centre or wing. Blair may become a prospect over time, and perhaps is also a fill-in prospect at centre or fullback? Perhaps next time Hayne is out, they could leave Burt on the wing and now that he's had his debut they could give Blair at go in the pressure at the back?

Juniors
i agree Burt does not put his body on the line, hasnt for years..Burt should rotate with keating for the rest of the year..

Willface

Juniors
Burt should rotate out of the squad so we could better invest his money with say someone from the under 12's. All I ever hear is he is the smartest player we have. Please who gives a f**k about smarts it's not like Fittler or Johns are the sharpest tools in the shed.

Eels Dude

Coach
Burt averaged nearly the same amount of metres as Loko, Willie T and Atkins last year. Far more than Esi and Morgan made.

Willface

Juniors
Burt is a has been, why is it that there are so many people that wish to hang on to one of the weakest outside backs in the Nrl for the last 5 years. Please he was unable to deliver in his twenties what are we gaining by persevering with him into his thirtys.The only thing that has prevented him from getting the boot two or three years ago is his goal kicking. We have some talented young outside backs that could easily do his equal and gain valuable first grade experience in the interim and we have sandow now. Luke you are the weakest link, good bye

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Burt averaged nearly the same amount of metres as Loko, Willie T and Atkins last year. Far more than Esi and Morgan made.

Wingers are supposed to consistently make more metres than centres due to the types of carries they get.

Anyway, Burt's stats last year are blown out by all those games at fullback.