What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fan support - Dragons not too bad

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
This article came up in my Google feed this morning, which I thought was of interest. It provides a snapshot of fan support for all NRL clubs.

Basically it's a poll conducted by Roy Morgan and co. No information on the methodology or how the information was gained, but Roy Morgan are a reputable company. The table below gives the results. Dragons still have a lot of support, and considerably more than some of our closest rivals, despite our lack of on-field success.

462132132_1366796834701247_7009807013144777987_n.jpg

since77

Juniors
I find it impossible to believe fan support for the Dragons went DOWN this year. Every fan that I know personally went into the season with a guarded optimism they hadn't had in years. We finally had an NRL quality coach after more than a decade of amateurs and frauds and the team performance before the final 4 rounds was a tangible improvement on the year before. Sorry I think this poll is just a gobbledygook of BS numbers.

shiloh dc

Juniors
I find it impossible to believe fan support for the Dragons went DOWN this year. Every fan that I know personally went into the season with a guarded optimism they hadn't had in years. We finally had an NRL quality coach after more than a decade of amateurs and frauds and the team performance before the final 4 rounds was a tangible improvement on the year before. Sorry I think this poll is just a gobbledygook of BS numbers.
You would be surprised at how many Dragons supporters (particularly kids of staunch supporters) are changing support to other teams). It's just not cool to support a poor performing club that's constantly in the news for the wrong reasons. Plus many supporters want to watch their team every fortnight at generally the same venue.

Last edited:

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
yeah so how does Storm have nearly 3+ times the amount of supporters as majority of teams, are they calculating the catchment area near their ground..

Victoire

Juniors
Anecdotal evidence from me, but I reckon our demographic skews older than just about every club.
Not anecdotal evidence: baby boomers (aged 60-78) are now dying more than any other generation. https://www.aihw.gov.au/reports/life-expectancy-deaths/deaths-in-australia/contents/age-at-death

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
yeah so how does Storm have nearly 3+ times the amount of supporters as majority of teams, are they calculating the catchment area near their ground..
It's really looking at fans rather than paid up members or regular game attendees, that's the trouble. And you don't know the methodology behind the results. It could just be a phone poll, and if they asked a bunch of Melbournians which NRL team they support, the vast majority will say Melbourne. I don't give much credence to the Melbourne and Brisbane results for that reason. I think it has a lot more validity when it comes to comparing the Sydney teams however. And I'm pleased we are shown to have more supporters than Dogs, Sharks, Seagulls etc. Should theoretically help with sponsorship, merchandise sales etc.

shiloh dc

Juniors
The simple solution is to add a question in the next national census (for people 8 and above) - which ONE team do you support most from the following list of sports - NRL/AFL/A League/Big Bash/IPL/Premier League/La Liga/Serie A/NFL/NBA/NBL/MLB/Super Rugby/F1 teams/Supercar teams/None of the above.
I lot of sports minded people would take 2-3 days to answer this question? For me 2 seconds - The Dragons.

More likely due to the old supporters passing away

The Roosters and Melbourne Storm numbers are BS in my view.

I would love to know, of the Roosters and Melbourne Storm “supporters“ polled, how many have ever attended a game of Rugby League.

Melbourne remains VFL/AFL city.

I have a couple of nephews on my wife’s side of the family who support the Roosters. Under 10 years of age. Success breeds support. The best move the Roosters made was to disassociate themselves from the Eastern Suburbs. I don’t believe they are diehard fans. In fact they support STGI as their second team:)

ground zero

Juniors
Dragons need to take back Sydney Big time. How about 6 off the best home games at Alliance Stadium. Parra Tigers Bulldogs Sharks Roosters an off course SOUTHS. In good timeslots.