What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fans Gutted

Callan Pk

Juniors
Fans Gutted

http://www.macarthurchronicle.com.au/article/2007/10/09/3814_news.html

09Oct07
ctown2.jpg

Wests fans enjoying a day out at Campbelltown Stadium.

WESTS Tigers fans are devastated by the club's decision to host just three home games at Campbelltown Stadium in 2008.

Wests Tigers chief Steve Noyce confirmed the club will play three games at Campbelltown, three at Leichhardt, four at Telstra Stadium and two at the Sydney Cricket Ground to celebrate the centenary of rugby league next year.
Fans and Campbelltown Council, the owners of Campbelltown Stadium had hoped the end of a three-year deal with Telstra Stadium this year would bring more home fixtures to both Campbelltown and Leichhardt in 2008.
The council had been ``led to believe'' there would be up to six home games at Campbelltown in 2008 after the Telstra deal lapsed.
The Wests Tigers board voted on the game breakdown last Thursday.
Wests Tigers fan Kieran Scott said it was getting harder to support the home team when it hardly ever played at home.
"It's disgusting there's still only three games next year," he said. "They can get 18,000 at Campbelltown and only 10,000 at Telstra and they don't come back here for more."
Fellow fan Tracey Moir said the atmosphere at Campbelltown and Leichhardt was better than Telstra.
"It's very disappointing this has happened when we were expecting more home games next year," she said.
Mr Noyce also confirmed no other clubs would use the Sydney Cricket Ground for homeground fixtures next year. "We are aware that both Campbelltown and Leichhardt would like more games but both are in need of upgrades," he said.
"We are assisting in seeking the much needed upgrades at those grounds and this being an election year we are trying to secure that."
Wests Tigers chairman Kevin Hammond said the decision to have four home games at Telstra was based on a recommendation from Wests Tigers management.
"It was not easy and one of those things where people have to take stock of the situation, that rugby league is no longer a sport, but a business," he said.
"There were a lot of factors, the pressure on shareholders to guarantee funding, longevity in business and who pays the bills.
"The venue at Telstra doesn't have the same sort of atmosphere but players love playing there, the facilities are good and provides the club with far more revenue opportunities."
Campbelltown Mayor Aaron Rule said it was very disappointing for the community to miss out on more home games yet again.

Better start targeting shareholders then Hammond, cause youre sure as hell losing ''fans''

alien

Referee
Alot of fans are disapointed with this and quite frankly I don't blame them.

Callan Pk

Juniors
How much WT involvement was there in the STR movement?
None. Theyd prefer to see the traditional grounds rot away-vote with you wallets , DONT buy season tickets this year that include TS....ONLY get the LO//CS option.

Mong Chariot

Juniors
themanonthehill said:
Exactly. I won't be renewing this year. They can get f**ked.
Out of touch f**king clowns
I cannot wait for the info day

WT & Balmain officials cannot wait for the info day also.

I won't be the only one giving them a serve i can promise you
From probably 30-70 at the season start that were dissatisfied it would now be 60/40
Some very unhappy campers

Mong Chariot

Juniors
themanonthehill said:
I won't be the only one giving them a serve i can promise you
From probably 30-70 at the season start that were dissatisfied it would now be 60/40
Some very unhappy campers

So your going to talk to those you have called spastics etc ? The likes of Sheens, Simmons, McDonnell, Shumack and Cousins will have the pleasure of meeting you ? (sorry if I left anyone out).

The Dope v WT. I'm expecting fireworks.:sarcasm:

alien

Referee
Mong Chariot said:
So your going to talk to those you have called spastics etc ? The likes of Sheens, Simmons, McDonnell, Shumack and Cousins will have the pleasure of meeting you ? (sorry if I left anyone out).

The Dope v WT. I'm expecting fireworks.:sarcasm:

He has also called the entire Wests Tigers Fanatics spastics aswell. With supporters like him who needs enemies. *edit* :lol:

Navjot

Juniors
Callan Pk said:
How much WT involvement was there in the STR movement?
None. Theyd prefer to see the traditional grounds rot away-vote with you wallets , DONT buy season tickets this year that include TS....ONLY get the LO//CS option.
I think that is close to the answer VOTE with your Feet. Pack out cambo and leichhardt and give the other two grounds a wide berth, the club may start listening then perhaps to the fans.

gavin

Juniors
Dont give the Super League any more bright ideas, they have already moved a round of fixtures to wales, Bloody stupid idea.

Dave Q

Coach
They may as well abandon the west altogether.

And the spin about the players liking it better.

What about the battlers?

Your club is treating them like strangers.

Get in there and tell them that the human capital that is their fan base is about to dive off the chart.

If they wanna run a business they shouldnt be in rugby league.

rupertpupkin

Juniors
"...It was not easy and one of those things where people have to take stock of the situation, that rugby league is no longer a sport, but a business..."

Well that's a relief. Then it is safe to assume that WT don't require my support as a fan of a traditional Club and sport. Can save the $$$, as it is no longer a "sport" but a business venture. If that is the case, then the hard cash can just as easily go towards other business products that are actually more of a priority this year, rather than WT Inc, which as simply a business, is just a luxury. Will just go to LO and CO, if there is $$$ to spare... maybe. If it is only "business", one has to assess the wares. How does WT's product shape up? Apart from the 05 model, which ran well, and went the distance, every other one fell apart, or gave up the ghost. They come in nice colours, but too often come with overpriced, useless accessories that are not optional. They handle really well on dry conditions, and can look flashy, but they have no grunt. Key components keep breaking down.

WT should not take this personally. After all, it's just business.

boonboon

Juniors
Get over it people as a supporter who has lived at best 3 hours away (also 8, 12 and now in the uk) I only ever got to see one or 2 games live a season so thank your lucky stars you get them in your city - poor darlings have to get on a train or a bus or drive - to another part of the same city boo hooo

innsaneink

Referee
boonboon said:
Get over it people as a supporter who has lived at best 3 hours away (also 8, 12 and now in the uk) I only ever got to see one or 2 games live a season so thank your lucky stars you get them in your city - poor darlings have to get on a train or a bus or drive - to another part of the same city boo hooo

Another that misses the whole concept of what a HOME ground means.

Its not about where YOU live, not about where where I live....its where the team play, its our home ground, its NO ONE elses...theres no other teams flogging there colours there on alternate weeks, theres no other fans in their other colours sitting in my favourite spot on alternate weeks. Its like a home and a house...families have homes, tenants have houses.

smeghead

Bench
alien said:
He has also called the entire Wests Tigers Fanatics spastics aswell. With supporters like him who needs enemies. *edit* :lol:

He is entitled to his opinion.

*edit*

Dave Q

Coach
I think we can all appreciate that the club needs to stay in the black and have the resources for planning but...

If the powers that be want to run a business, they should get out of the game and run a shop.

As a JV it should move about, but it seems to me, that the wests side of the equation is getting rooked badly here.

I support the detractors.

Get out there and stand up for yourselves.

Bring the boys home for 09.

Seth Gecko

Juniors
Dave.... the irony of what you're saying is that Souths started to treat the game like a business to cover the ground they did in 2007. To get back the respect and become a player again they did just that..... they focused on the game as a business. It's not like they suddenly found some secret well of team spirit and confidence. Asotasi didn't move for nothing.
It's a proffessional sport and its a game for 2 odd hours a week. Rest of the time it's a business.