What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

farewell Scottie pippen

twista

Juniors
edabomb said:
twista said:
he was bi sexual to, ol' pippen.

WTF???

Too bad he never did anything after the Bulls, he will never be respected as much as he should be.

theres apparently some coverup, where this guy has videos of pippen and him doin sexual things. but obviously it wouldnt of been good for pippen if they were released so he payed him off. ive only read it on one site on the net so the info isnt that reliable.

General Knight

Juniors
Charlie Saab said:
As i said, when Jordan decided to got and hit .198 at Baseball in 1993/4 the Bulls with Pippen, Grant, BJ, Cartwright, Pete Myers and co went on to win 55 games and push the Knicks to 7 games in the 1994 2nd rnd playoffs.

If Jordan was there they would have gone all the way. No one would have stopped them. [/quote]

General Knight

Juniors
Charlie Saab said:
Jordan sure couldnt get it done vs the Pistons in the playoffs in his early yrs. It took the maturing of Pippen as a player in 1990/91 to push them over the top.
Jordan is Jordan, but Pippen was no flash in the pan player

It was more really on the style of bball Jordan and the Bulls played not the game of Pippen. Back then the style of bball the Bulls played was to give the ball to MJ and he will take the basket on. After those defeats to the Pistons Jordan realised they couldnt just win by him just driving it in there, afterall basketball is a team sport not a one man show. Jordan had to set-up the plays, pass, defend, steal rather than just going up himself of shooting the baskets. Thats what made him even greater. And Pippen just grew and grew on that style of play.

Now this conversation is starting to get off topic. The thing that triggered this conversation was someone saying or asking rather 'If Jordan could have won a championship without Pippen' and i replied by saying its the other way around. And I am not trying to compare MJ with Pippen either as yes they are totally different players. My point is that Jordan would have won a championship with or without Pippen.

El Coconuto

Bench
We don't have to imagine what either player would've been without the other. We saw what one was without the other.

Without Jordan, Pippen struggled to carry the team, even spitting the dummy when the ball went to Toni Kukoc in the crunch against the Knicks, instead of him.

Jordan was a bonafide superstar before Pippens arrival. It was only going to be a matter of time before Chicago management signed a good 'second option'. The streaks and final number may have been slightly altered, but I have little doubt that Chicago would have eventually won a championship even if Pippen hadn't have arrived.

Jordan made everyone else in his team look good as well...

Pippen did play great the first year Jordan sat out, and they were still a threat to make the Finals, as Charlie Saab pointed out. But then Pippen damaged his reputation by refusing to play the end of game 6 against the Knicks, because Phil Jackson picked Kucoc to shoot the final shot instead of Pippen.

I think Pippen would not have been as good a player, probably not a top 50 selection, if he hadn't played with Jordan and the Bulls. He came out of a small college, unheralded, and took a few years to develop into a super player. Playing with Jordan had a lot to do with that development.

On the other hand, at his peak Pippen was probably the best non-center in the NBA after Jordan. I always thought he would have done the best defensive job on Jordan if he'd been on another team. And I don't think the Bulls would have won their titles without Pippen. Jordan never won one without him, and the Bulls didn't become great until Pippen (along with Horace Grant) matured into a great player.

Mr Saab

Referee
canadian steve

Pippen sat out the final seconds in game 3, not game 6.

and yes the bulls only came good once grant and pippen shined.
95% pf all championship teams have 2 star players....the bulls had Pippen and Jordan.
Pippen showed in 93/4 that he didnt need jordan. Pippen took control of the team and was da man.

Game 3, really? When I wrote game 6 I was thinking or was it game 5? Shoulda looked it up.

I'll summarize my 2 opinions from the above post, which I don't think are contradictory:

Pippen wouldn't have been as great a player without Jordan, but the Bulls wouldn't have won without Pippen either.

Mr Saab

Referee
CanadianSteve said:
Game 3, really? When I wrote game 6 I was thinking or was it game 5? Shoulda looked it up.

game 5 was the "phantom" foul on pippen when he "fouled" hubert davis on a 3 pointer (back in those days a foul on a 3 pointer was only give 2 foul shots) and the knicks won game 5.

Game 3 was the kukoc turnaround jumper from abour 18 feet (pippen sat out the final seconds)

Yeah, in NY they still love Hugh Evans, or was it Hue Hollins, for making that call.

My recollection is that it was a foul, but not the kind refs usually call on stars like Pippen on a last second shot. Is that what you mean by phantom? Or do you think he didn't even touch him?

I haven't seen it in years, I'm not sure if I have a tape or DVD of that year's playoffs. (I do have NBA films' tapes of most of the 80s championships, and my son has several dvd's of 90s and more recent years.)

Mr Saab

Referee
it wasnt worthy of a foul call. I am a pistons fan so i have no bias towards the bulls, but still, that shouldnt have been called. ITs the PLAYOFFS.
Phantom may have been a touch overboard, but i didnt agree with the call. I think it was Hue Hollins.
I have the game hightlights on tape.

Mr Saab

Referee
i didnt like the bulls up until 1995/6 the yr they acquired Rodman for Will Purdue.
Rodman...what a champion

I loved Rodman on the Pistons, but not on the Bulls.

I hated the Celtics in the 80s, but now I look back and appreciate what a great team they were. Same with the Bulls I guess. I don't know if I'll ever feel that way about the Shaq/Kobe Lakers though.

Mr Saab

Referee
CanadianSteve said:
I loved Rodman on the Pistons, but not on the Bulls.

I hated the Celtics in the 80s, but now I look back and appreciate what a great team they were. Same with the Bulls I guess. I don't know if I'll ever feel that way about the Shaq/Kobe Lakers though.

Dennis on the Pistons was very good, esp 1991/2 when he avg over 18 boards. He was a fricken machine and would be on my all time bench for what he offered. After his marital problems he went crazy 93/4.
i agree COMPLETELY with what you said re the teams.
Funny thing is i still dont like the bulls 1990/91 and 91/92, yet i liked their 92/3 team and how they played. weird
I will never like shaq and kobe and i am glad my pistons smashed them in the finals.
I like the celtics, but i hated bill walton and how he talks them up even to this day. Parish, Bird, McHale, and Johnson...good nucleus.

And1

Juniors
Just a reference to earlier posts, I do believe the Bulls would have won a championship or two without Scottie Pippen. However I do not believe they would have won 6 titles.

If anybody remembers, the Bulls of the 80s struggled with Jordan being the one and only offensive option. It wasn't until MJ got help from Pippen (and Horace Grant) that they were able to overthrow the Bad Boy Pistons in '91. Without Pippen, the Bulls may have taken a year or two later to achieve that feat (with a possible acquisition of a key free agent).

Davester

Juniors
Scotty Pippen is my all-time favourites from the time I got into the NBA watching the Chicago Bulls, and followed him on when he was signed by the Portland Trailblazers. He will be forever remembered as a all-time great in the NBA History. :clap:

Latest posts