What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fast track or fall back? The Halves dillema

Rod

Bench
Jeez he would be a good signing, he could slip straight into half and Mullen stay at 5/8. Unfortunately for now its not an option, maybe for next year.

Jono078

Referee
I think he is talking about another one we signed.. But I think he is only like 16 or 17.

Burwood

Bench
Jedda said:
If you're thinking of Piri Weepu he went back to NZ to play union (silly boy)

I'm guessing he means Paul Karam;-)

21, 90kg, 186cm. Seems to be the right physical build, but he hasn't seen any game time yet.

Pumba

First Grade
Jono078 said:
I wouldnt mind giving Ben Walker a ring..

He was outstanding for the Rabbitohs until Morley f**ked him up early last year.

Also a good goal kicker.

May not be as silly as it sounds.

The Devil

Bench
Paul Karam, thats him.. Cheers for that Burwood & Pumba.

Seeming as he's had no game time, i guess he's out of the frame.

Burwood

Bench
It hasn't really been answered yet, but how do we go about the rest of the year? Do we look to guys like Kidley and Abraham to fill the vacancy, even though they may not be the long term solution? Or do we throw kids like Dureau and Karawana into the deep end and hope for the best because they are the future of the club?

What I'm getting at is: what's best for this season may not be the best for the club long-term. We have the opportunity to fast track some of our juniors, but by doing so we may be risking our chances to reach the semis this year. Which way do we go?

But I do like the idea of buying a player like Walker to fill the void. The only problem I can see is the salary cap. Can we somehow scam some sort of concession because Johns has medically retired? I know that St. George had no luck with Gasnier when he was ruled out for the season.

Master Vippo

Juniors
Smart money is on this year being a 're-building year' (year where we arent expected to win) then we purchase ourselves a halfback for next year.

The Devil

Bench
I personally wouldn't want us to purchase another half, even if it is a stop gap filler for a season or two. It could be mentally damaging to Walsh & Dureau if they see the club looking elsewhere to fill the void instead of giving them a go.

Though conversely, throwing a youngster, like Karawana, Walsh & Dureau, in the deep end could ruin their confidence should they have a shocker.

The only way I would like to see us sign another player to fill the void is if we find someone like the Cowboys did in Jason Smith. The other halves mentioned in this thread are relatively young and do have a solid 3 years+ of playing in the NRL. Problem with this is that should they impress the club will have a difficult decision in choosing the future halves partner for Mullen, which could mean the end for Karawana, Walsh or Dureau staying with the club.

Alex28

Coach
If we can see now that Walsh (particularly if he is always going to be too small for First Grade) and Dureau aren't going to cut it right now - then we are wasting time not looking for a replacement straight away.

Yosh

Coach
I would go Brown.

For the future, I would love to see Hornby playing up at Newy. Or Wing, would be awesome. Or that NZ union dude. Hmm.... Havent seen Walsh or Dureau (well I have but not enough to judge them) to judge them....

K-Man

Bench
macavity said:
my smokey -

7. Mullen
6. Brown

Last night I pretty much wrote an essay on the merits of a Brown/Mullen combination, then my computer crashed.

I can't be bothered to type it all again but anyway that would also be my preference for a few reasons:

1. big fan of brown, he's just a good footballer imo
2. better kicking game than Abes, and that will be very important as every team is going to target Mullen massively
3. more experienced and physically stronger than Dureau or Walsh at this stage, won't have to hide him in defence at all, will be like having an extra hooker in the line.

With Abes playing at lock we then have a few playmaking options across the park, Abes can play a bit of a ballplaying role out on the left side to put variety in our attack, but Brown, Mullen and Kidley to do most of the playmaking.

You never know, if Brown goes well enough we just found our 2008 halfback solution.

CJKnight

Juniors
Isn't Brown abit weak defensively? I remeber someone saying that he needs to learn how to tackle. I know he has worked very hard on his defense in the past.

Pika

Bench
K-Man said:
Last night I pretty much wrote an essay on the merits of a Brown/Mullen combination, then my computer crashed.

I can't be bothered to type it all again but anyway that would also be my preference for a few reasons:

1. big fan of brown, he's just a good footballer imo
2. better kicking game than Abes, and that will be very important as every team is going to target Mullen massively
3. more experienced and physically stronger than Dureau or Walsh at this stage, won't have to hide him in defence at all, will be like having an extra hooker in the line.

With Abes playing at lock we then have a few playmaking options across the park, Abes can play a bit of a ballplaying role out on the left side to put variety in our attack, but Brown, Mullen and Kidley to do most of the playmaking.

You never know, if Brown goes well enough we just found our 2008 halfback solution.

I agree.

I dont think Brown has many defensive issues. Playing in the middle of the ruck in PL he has shown he can handle himself in that capacity.

Yosh

Coach
Yeah GO BROWN. Always enjoyed watching him. Remember the try that he scored against the Sharks like 04 or 05. Also last year the one he scored on Broncos when he stepped Civo.

Well if we use Abes or Brown they will be both playing a supporting role for Mullen, and considering Mullen is also of the young, he might struggle a bit. We should look into Ben Walker just so that Mullen can have someone expirienced outside him to guide him around when he does get a little lost during games.

Ben

Bench
Personally i would prefer Bailey over Brown, but since Bailey seems to be out for most of the year, then my only option would be Brown. I don't think we should be playing Abraham in the halves because he can be so much more damaging playing wide of the ruck. He has good footwork and is getting his speed back, and now Smith has brought out the playmaking aspect of his game - he can be that ball-playing lock forward that would be crucial in our team.

~bedsy~

First Grade
I don't think they should be messing around with Kurt, his doing a fine job at the back. They need to look at the younger guys or some that can move into that role. I would like to see how Milton or even Tighe would go in at 5/8 with Mullen at 7.

voltron

Juniors
Would Thaiday be able to cope with the defensive workload though?
he doesnt seem that great defensively

i think its time for buderus to learn how to kick, that would give us more kicking options, and for the first few times it would be totally unexpected.
i mean mason has a decent kick for goodness sake.

perverse

Referee
voltron said:
Would Thaiday be able to cope with the defensive workload though?
he doesnt seem that great defensively

i think its time for buderus to learn how to kick, that would give us more kicking options, and for the first few times it would be totally unexpected.
i mean mason has a decent kick for goodness sake.
welcome to the forum mate, and good first post.

my SUBJECTIVE answer to your question (you have to be politically correct around here - otherwise certain knights fans get very personal and aggrevated) is that thaiday cannot handle the defensive workload. i also believe he has a serious injury cloud over his head.

i think buderus adding kicking to his game would be a great dimension for him to explore. would save me cringing just about every game when i see kidley get a head full of steam and drop it on the boot.

for all kidleys merits.. he's not a kicker.

Latest posts