What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fav 80's Saints Player?

Gareth67

First Grade
I remember that 1984 semi final of Saints vs Souths. I was sitting or standing at the top left hand corner of the Sheridan Stand with the St George outlaws. The way I recalled, Craig Young uppercutted (if there is such a word) Craig Coleman as he played the ball. Next thing, one of the best all in brawls I have ever seen began. Players were punching on all across the field. I think Graham Wynn was fighting 2 Souths players at once. The St George Outlaws got the St George chant going and we were all cheering like mad. It is one of my fondest memories of being at a game. We went on to win the game too. Souths did have a tough pack back in those day, players like Davidson, Fenech, Tony and Dean Rampling were probably playing that day. The next day the newspapers reported that the crowd was booing the fight. That was BS.

I would love to get a recording of that game. If anyone can direct me as to how or where to find one, it would be much appreciated.

While on the topic of old games. I would like to get a hold of a few or a lot other games from 83 to 85. The St George v Balmain Anzac day at Kogarah game in 84 or 83 is one I would like to get. At this game, at the end of the minute silence, Skull yelled out "Let the war begin", people could hear it from the other side of the ground. We went on to rack up 40 plus points against Balmain that day. Any of the games in 83 when we went on a massive winning streak to make the play off for 5th spot and the play off against Easts I would like. I think it was the last premiership game of 84 we smashed Parra, scoring 30 plus points. I think it was 32. There was another game against Parra around that time, it could have been an Anzac day game at Kogarah, the place was packed to the max. I think crowd was 23 000 or so. People were sitting on top of the toilet blocks, that is another I would like to get. The game against Balmain at Leichardt is another game I would love to watch again. It was a top of the table clash and Leichardt was packed to the max, I am pretty sure the crowd figure was around the 23 000 mark to and that was not counting everyone that jumped the fence. I think a lot of younger fans will have trouble believing that they got 23 000 people into Kogarah or Leichardt. I recall Brookvale oval having crowd of 28 000 or so in the early to mid 1980's too. Probably Many v Parra. Those were good times.

Them were the good ' ole days , blood and thunder from the Big Red V ! Mario Fenech being taught , that he wasn't the only player who knew how to throw a punch . And as you said Souths did have a very tough pack that took them into the finals . A great fight that one ( I actually filed the tape along with the my best of my T.V. Ringside V.H.S. ) and a great match . :innocent:

Last edited:

1st & 10

Juniors
Yes indeed , Ricky Walford and Martin Offiah . Never forget Roy Masters reply when asked about the Dragons 2 speed men " my 2 black Porches , speed to burn " .

The main things I loved about 80s league

Monday night football "whacka the emu" with the rock city girls and fireworks

Panasonic cup mid week games, especially 1988

All three grades, same day, same jersey/sponsor etc from noon. No 5 year old cheerleaders (creepy) dressed up like NFL Dallas Cowgirls

80s big league magazines were the best. Every Wednesday morning on the way to school $1-2 pocket money investment. Remember the Maginificent 13 column?
The great team listing with the common (one to be omitted)

Reserve grade starting at 1:30pm with fullback wearing 14 and so on

3rd/u23s at noon with fullback wearing no 27 and so on

A reserve grade halfback player would play half a reserve game and come on in first grade wearing a clean No 20 jersey, same shorts and socks still grubby from earlier in the day . God bless you Chris Guider .

Remember the Scott Wilson rule . Who played u23s, no reserve grade on the day and came on as a first grade replacement . Naughty, naughty

Residential rules with the import rule instilled pride and passion for thier locals and the team

It was the hurdle that delayed O'Connor going to Manly . He had to set resistance in Manly

Same dispute erupted between Newtown and saints over Raper, until Facer got involved

(Frank Facer, he was the Joe Robbie or Vince Lombardi of the NSWRL. Facer had the rep of being the hardest and best negotiator of his time)

1st & 10

Juniors
Saints were great in the 80s until 3pm GF day 1985. What happened?? I know we got gutted in 86, and in 88 with the new teams . But had some good youngsters conning through such as

Ashley Wilde
Bruce Honeysett
Mark Cannon
Brian Quinton
George Moroko
Brad Mackay
Paul Morris (gun from Newtown)
Chris Johns
Steve Funnell
Billy Noke
Col Fraser
Kevin Duckett
Paul Doolan
Tony Townsend

Some of these guys kicked on, others didn't. After tearing up lower grades
I am sure there are a lot more without refering to an 85 big league mag

gregstar

Referee
It was the hurdle that delayed O'Connor going to Manly . He had to set resistance in Manly
yep.

he was head-hunted by them in '84.
he said he stayed because he was offered the kicking - but it was the import rule.

i posted this a little while ago;

michael o'connor was a devastating loss in my books.

however we lost so much reliable lower grade talent from 83-85 who went on to perform wonderfully at other clubs.

in 84-85 our club was head & shoulders above the others by a country mile in depth.
if it hadn't been for an eric grothe try in the final, we would have had all three grades in grand finals 2 years in a row. As such, parra rolling us in that 84 final robbed the lower grades of their regular players who were ineligible to play.

over the next 2 years (86-87) there was a steady flow of retiring experienced players & talented players leaving who could have helped develop the lower grades coming through. we lost so much reliable lower grade talent who had their best years in front of them.

an example; we had the gun player of the presidents cup in marc glanville & let him leave. we kept graeme wynn who by the end of '86 was a semen stain.

the heart of the club was torn out. the players signed (such as steve robinson) did not in any way compensate for this. players such as linnane, noke, funnell, kinchella, burgess etc were unable to reach the heights they could have because the experience of gearin, rogers, johnson, walsh, jarvis, o'grady, morris, haddock & stone retired or left. and the likes of gavin allen & johns who were tremendous young first graders went on to shine at other clubs. or in chris guider's case, went to la la land.

subsequently, 86-90 were the gomer years. the disappointment i felt was paralyzing. in fact i still get sad at the memory of it. we went from such strength to pure geniuss.

however, last year under jowls was the single worst year of footy i have ever witnessed by our club

Last edited:

Gareth67

First Grade
Saints were great in the 80s until 3pm GF day 1985. What happened?? I know we got gutted in 86, and in 88 with the new teams . But had some good youngsters conning through such as

Ashley Wilde
Bruce Honeysett
Mark Cannon
Brian Quinton
George Moroko
Brad Mackay
Paul Morris (gun from Newtown)
Chris Johns
Steve Funnell
Billy Noke
Col Fraser
Kevin Duckett
Paul Doolan
Tony Townsend

Some of these guys kicked on, others didn't. After tearing up lower grades
I am sure there are a lot more without refering to an 85 big league mag

There certainly was a lot of promising talent around then . From memory I believe that Steve Funnell past away in a car accident . Billy Noke reminded me of a smaller version of Craig Young , a real pocket battleship .

But that afternoon that you referred to earlier in your post was a real disappointment . The Dragons having all 3 grades in the Grand Final winning the 3 rd and reserve grades but unable to complete the trifecta against the Bulldogs .

All history now ,however there was a post this week showing Roy Masters ( and the dragon looking down at him ) looking ever so dejected , sitting on the SCG sideline , as he realised that his team had been beaten in the 85 decider .

He was a great coach young Roy , perhaps one could go and say an earlier version of Craig Bellamy , a real thinker.
Worked wonders , not only for Saints but also for the Magpies .

Last edited:

1st & 10

Juniors
yep.

he was head-hunted by them in '84.
he said he stayed because he was offered the kicking - but it was the import rule.

i posted this a little while ago;

michael o'connor was a devastating loss in my books.

however we lost so much reliable lower grade talent from 83-85 who went on to perform wonderfully at other clubs.

in 84-85 our club was head & shoulders above the others by a country mile in depth.
if it hadn't been for an eric grothe try in the final, we would have had all three grades in grand finals 2 years in a row. As such, parra rolling us in that 84 final robbed the lower grades of their regular players who were ineligible to play.

over the next 2 years (86-87) there was a steady flow of retiring experienced players & talented players leaving who could have helped develop the lower grades coming through. we lost so much reliable lower grade talent who had their best years in front of them.

an example; we had the gun player of the presidents cup in marc glanville & let him leave. we kept graeme wynn who by the end of '86 was a semen stain.

the heart of the club was torn out. the players signed (such as steve robinson) did not in any way compensate for this. players such as linnane, noke, funnell, kinchella, burgess etc were unable to reach the heights they could have because the experience of gearin, rogers, johnson, walsh, jarvis, o'grady, morris, haddock & stone retired or left. and the likes of gavin allen & johns who were tremendous young first graders went on to shine at other clubs. or in chris guider's case, went to la la land.

subsequently, 86-90 were the gomer years. the disappointment i felt was paralyzing. in fact i still get sad at the memory of it. we went from such strength to pure geniuss.

however, last year under jowls was the single worst year of footy i have ever witnessed by our club

What baffles me in the late 80s. We had a tendency to beat top teams and get beaten by lowly teams

The Newcastle Knights gutted our lower grade talent during the 87-88 offseason. Quentin, Glanville, Townsend etc. then the Giants took thier fill and Brisbane took johns and Noke. We get gutted more than any team when expansion comes or any rebel leagues

1st & 10

Juniors
There certainly was a lot of promising talent around then . From memory I believe that Steve Funnell past away in a car accident . Billy Noke reminded me of a smaller version of Craig Young , a real pocket battleship .

But that afternoon that you referred to earlier in your post was a real disappointment . The Dragons having all 3 grades in the Grand Final winning the 3 rd and reserve grades but unable to complete the trifecta against the Bulldogs .

All history now ,however there was a post this week showing Roy Masters ( and the dragon looking down at him ) looking ever so dejected , sitting on the SCG sideline , as he realised that his team had been beaten in the 85 decider .

He was a great coach young Roy , perhaps one could go and say an earlier version of Craig Bellamy , a real thinker.

Billy Noke went to the Broncos . Geoff Selby was taken from this earth too early .
As for 85 GF. Two factors . 1 no fresh reserves for the 1st grade, 2 we were never going to win with Kevin Roberts as ref. Some diabolical adjudication that day. You can also add in the NFL shoulder pads used by Canterbury

Frank Facer

First Grade

It was Geoff Selby who died in the car accident. We bought him from Illawarra. He had massive wraps on him too. many good judges thought he could have played rep football. I think he was a big lose. We also had another player who was going excellent in reserves who looked to have a very bright future, named Shaun O'Brien, he was very badly injured in the same car accident. The injury kept him out of the game for a long time and probably cruelled his career. I had very high hopes for O'Brien. Another Saints player named Peter Gentle was also in the same car as O'Brien and Selby.

Stephen Funnell was a very talented sportsman. He played back row, but was then moved to fullback. He was also a very good cricketer, who had to choose between focusing on League or Cricket. Some believed that he could have become a first class cricketer if he focused on that sport.

Billy Noke was killing it in 1985, but he never regained that kind of form.

I think the disappointment of 84 and 85 really took its toll on the players and fans

Sheridan Stand

Juniors
The main things I loved about 80s league

Monday night football "whacka the emu" with the rock city girls and fireworks

Panasonic cup mid week games, especially 1988

All three grades, same day, same jersey/sponsor etc from noon. No 5 year old cheerleaders (creepy) dressed up like NFL Dallas Cowgirls

80s big league magazines were the best. Every Wednesday morning on the way to school $1-2 pocket money investment. Remember the Maginificent 13 column?
The great team listing with the common (one to be omitted)

Reserve grade starting at 1:30pm with fullback wearing 14 and so on

3rd/u23s at noon with fullback wearing no 27 and so on

A reserve grade halfback player would play half a reserve game and come on in first grade wearing a clean No 20 jersey, same shorts and socks still grubby from earlier in the day . God bless you Chris Guider .

Remember the Scott Wilson rule . Who played u23s, no reserve grade on the day and came on as a first grade replacement . Naughty, naughty

Residential rules with the import rule instilled pride and passion for thier locals and the team

Same dispute erupted between Newtown and saints over Raper, until Facer got involved

(Frank Facer, he was the Joe Robbie or Vince Lombardi of the NSWRL. Facer had the rep of being the hardest and best negotiator of his time)
Don't forget controversy corner with Rex Mossop every Sunday morning, pass the ball contest etc

A great way to warm up before heading to the mighty Kogarah Jubilee

Sheridan Stand

Juniors
I remember that 1984 semi final of Saints vs Souths. I was sitting or standing at the top left hand corner of the Sheridan Stand with the St George outlaws. The way I recalled, Craig Young uppercutted (if there is such a word) Craig Coleman as he played the ball. Next thing, one of the best all in brawls I have ever seen began. Players were punching on all across the field. I think Graham Wynn was fighting 2 Souths players at once. The St George Outlaws got the St George chant going and we were all cheering like mad. It is one of my fondest memories of being at a game. We went on to win the game too. Souths did have a tough pack back in those day, players like Davidson, Fenech, Tony and Dean Rampling were probably playing that day. The next day the newspapers reported that the crowd was booing the fight. That was BS.

I would love to get a recording of that game. If anyone can direct me as to how or where to find one, it would be much appreciated.

While on the topic of old games. I would like to get a hold of a few or a lot other games from 83 to 85. The St George v Balmain Anzac day at Kogarah game in 84 or 83 is one I would like to get. At this game, at the end of the minute silence, Skull yelled out "Let the war begin", people could hear it from the other side of the ground. We went on to rack up 40 plus points against Balmain that day. Any of the games in 83 when we went on a massive winning streak to make the play off for 5th spot and the play off against Easts I would like. I think it was the last premiership game of 84 we smashed Parra, scoring 30 plus points. I think it was 32. There was another game against Parra around that time, it could have been an Anzac day game at Kogarah, the place was packed to the max. I think crowd was 23 000 or so. People were sitting on top of the toilet blocks, that is another I would like to get. The game against Balmain at Leichardt is another game I would love to watch again. It was a top of the table clash and Leichardt was packed to the max, I am pretty sure the crowd figure was around the 23 000 mark to and that was not counting everyone that jumped the fence. I think a lot of younger fans will have trouble believing that they got 23 000 people into Kogarah or Leichardt. I recall Brookvale oval having crowd of 28 000 or so in the early to mid 1980's too. Probably Many v Parra. Those were good times.
Great post and a lot of shared memories.

I was there in all the semis and GF through the 80's - we would deck the car in streamers and head over to the grand old lady (SCG).

I maintain to this day that if we won the final in 84 we went on to win GF in both 84 and 85. I don't care what anybody says otherwise. My dad nearly crashed 10 times coming home in 84 he was so mad. The 85 GF was the first one he missed in his life and so 1979 win was his last to attend. I think 84 final loss really knocked him around. As it did all of us.

Still, I just loved the Sheridan Stand (no surprise given my handle) and the mighty stgeorge army that sang all day from the hallowed stand. It was the only time in my life's I have seen an Australian crowd match it with England and Europe for crowd spirit.

Sad we don't have the chants anymore. We sometimes see a little bit from our army when we are winning but it's still a pimple on what the old days gave.

gregstar

Referee
As for 85 GF. Two factors . 1 no fresh reserves for the 1st grade, 2 we were never going to win with Kevin Roberts as ref. Some diabolical adjudication that day. You can also add in the NFL shoulder pads used by Canterbury
i recall wynn getting punched yet canterbury got the penalty. in that set, there was a blatant forward pass missed & the next tackle mortimer scored.
in a last ditch effort late in the game, kinchela kicked ahead for o'connor who was easily going to win the ball in the open backfield, but kinchela was ruled to have put a foot into touch - & he hadn't.

however canterbury was the better team that day (as much as it pains me - because i f*cking hated them!)

you're absolutely right about fresh reserves. if o'grady had been fresh as opposed to starting he could have had a better impact. it was a great pity that fafita broke his arm in the semi - he was punishing canterbury beforehand & had had a good run when he came into the side.

& beattie should not have played - he was carrying an injury from the major semi as well.

as much as all this saddened me - it was the '84 qualifying final that gutted me most - that was when bilko roberts should have been shot! we won that game all over the park until parra were gifted 3 penalties in the last 10 minutes which gave them the field position for grothe to score. i don't think i've ever been so devastated. i reckon we would have smashed the dogs in the final.

Frank Facer

First Grade

I was there in all the semis and GF through the 80's - we would deck the car in streamers and head over to the grand old lady (SCG).

I maintain to this day that if we won the final in 84 we went on to win GF in both 84 and 85. I don't care what anybody says otherwise. My dad nearly crashed 10 times coming home in 84 he was so mad. The 85 GF was the first one he missed in his life and so 1979 win was his last to attend. I think 84 final loss really knocked him around. As it did all of us.

Still, I just loved the Sheridan Stand (no surprise given my handle) and the mighty stgeorge army that sang all day from the hallowed stand. It was the only time in my life's I have seen an Australian crowd match it with England and Europe for crowd spirit.

Sad we don't have the chants anymore. We sometimes see a little bit from our army when we are winning but it's still a pimple on what the old days gave.
I too believed that if we beat Parra in the 84 semi, we would have gone onto beat Canterbury that year too.

I used to say that We/Saints supporters were the closest thing we had to the English soccer fans. We did have so many songs and chants, such as

Puff The Magic Dragon Lived By The Sea

Those were the Days My Friend, I thought they would never end

We Got the Best Team In the Land, We got Brian Johnson at fullback, we got Brian Johnson at fullback, Then we would sing each player and their respective position

St George Here, St George There, St George Every F***ing Where, Tra, lala, lala, lala

We Are The St George Boys, We Had a Game Today, We are the boy you know of who showed them how to play, no matter where you be the red and white you see, a wonderful wonderful credtit, to Kogarah Jubilee.

We Are Red We Are White We are F***ing Dynamite. Tra lala, lala, lala

Manly Warringah, Fulton's a Sticker, Hasler's in the grass with Vautin up his (it rhymes with grass)

Give me an S, S, Give me an A, A, and we would go on to spell the rest of Saints and then go Saints, Go Saints.

Oh When The Saints Go Marching In

Na Na Na Nananana, Nanana St George

St George, St George, St George

That is all I can remember.

I don't we we chanted Dragons very much, if not at all. lol

1st & 10

Juniors

I am a casual SCG historian. The Sheridan stand was originally going to be renovated and kept, but the termite damage was too bad. Instead the trust put thier efforts into the old members/ladies (they actually considered tearing them down)

The mystery change rooms in the Churchill/Brewongal stands. They were used for lower grades when saints called the scg home.

The first northern stand/smokers stand was moved to belmore and for a short time the original stand there.

The old scoreboard is in pieces - disgracefully . Should be set up as a display

I loved the historic Sports Ground. With the No 2 ground between the SCG and sports ground.

The sports ground and the old Leichhardt were the only east/west facing grounds which caused a lot of sun affected errors in a game

1st & 10

Juniors
I too believed that if we beat Parra in the 84 semi, we would have gone onto beat Canterbury that year too.

I used to say that We/Saints supporters were the closest thing we had to the English soccer fans. We did have so many songs and chants, such as

Puff The Magic Dragon Lived By The Sea

Those were the Days My Friend, I thought they would never end

We Got the Best Team In the Land, We got Brian Johnson at fullback, we got Brian Johnson at fullback, Then we would sing each player and their respective position

St George Here, St George There, St George Every F***ing Where, Tra, lala, lala, lala

We Are The St George Boys, We Had a Game Today, We are the boy you know of who showed them how to play, no matter where you be the red and white you see, a wonderful wonderful credtit, to Kogarah Jubilee.

We Are Red We Are White We are F***ing Dynamite. Tra lala, lala, lala

Manly Warringah, Fulton's a Sticker, Hasler's in the grass with Vautin up his (it rhymes with grass)

Give me an S, S, Give me an A, A, and we would go on to spell the rest of Saints and then go Saints, Go Saints.

Oh When The Saints Go Marching In

Na Na Na Nananana, Nanana St George

St George, St George, St George

That is all I can remember.

I don't we we chanted Dragons very much, if not at all. lol

When at the scg, we had a team song, sung by a female "we tackle hard we tackle strong"......

1st & 10

Juniors
Tom Berry, scotty Campbell, John Bailey. Really were great behind the scenes in the 80s. they did their best

Young had one year as coach, because he could only get one year off unpaid leave with the police.

Young is very hard to talk too. I know for a fact that player agents despise dealing with Craig Young in recruitment. The personality of a 4x2

Sheridan Stand

Juniors
When at the scg, we had a team song, sung by a female "we tackle hard we tackle strong"......
Geez Frank that was another disaster move by the saints management when they tried to update saints go marching in with that terrible dribble - it lasted 1 maybe 2 seasons max.

I don't know the year that came out but I think it was maybe late 80's or early 90's when the whole empire started to crumble.

Does anyone remember the year - I think it was when we had one of the ill fated return to SCG strategies. I just can't remember but leaning toward 90's.

The song was something like : "we tackle hard we tackle strong at stgeorge we tackle long and if you've got the blah blah to take stgeorge on" - thanks I had erased that rubbish from my memory like erasing losing Goodwin.

Anyhows - After the horrid late 80s we Luckily had smithy who came in early 90's and built some credibility with a great team of average talent. Smith was a great coach. Remember the back to back GF losses to Brisbane and then manly 2 years later - alas I sat through em all.

Got my revenge in 2010.

Sheridan Stand

Juniors
I am a casual SCG historian. The Sheridan stand was originally going to be renovated and kept, but the termite damage was too bad. Instead the trust put thier efforts into the old members/ladies (they actually considered tearing them down)

The mystery change rooms in the Churchill/Brewongal stands. They were used for lower grades when saints called the scg home.

The first northern stand/smokers stand was moved to belmore and for a short time the original stand there.

The old scoreboard is in pieces - disgracefully . Should be set up as a display

I loved the historic Sports Ground. With the No 2 ground between the SCG and sports ground.

The sports ground and the old Leichhardt were the only east/west facing grounds which caused a lot of sun affected errors in a game
Thanks mate - I love history.

I recall dad said something similar about Sheridan stand and there were a lot of protests at the time.

The old SCG scoreboard should be in a museum (lord knows there's enough crap in them) - now that scoreboard ....that is a real monument with real memories - Bradman, Saints 11 in a row etc etc to Name a few Australian sporting moments to have graced the old lady.