What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Favourite Gridiron Movie

Paullyboy

Coach
I saw the start but got bored, it had possible potential but at the time I was drunk so had no patience to sit out the movie

Is the new movie Friday Night Lights playing down under yet? I haven't seen it but I heard it's good. It's based on a non-fiction book about high school football in Texas.

God-King Dean

Immortal
I am the only one to think that Remember The Titans is one of the most over-rated movies ever

I think I like Any Given Sunday the best. I like the part when the guys eye falls out & Al Pacino does the double-look :lol: That bit seemed a bit BS though :lol:

I enjoyed Varsity Blues as well

camsmith

Juniors
AAre you kidding me? Remember the titans is awesome, and very well done. I do like Any Given Sunday (own it..).. but it is a typical "blockbuster" and pretty predictible, the action sequence's save it from a flop IMO. For me it drags on with the same old same old, and the team names among other things give it a fake feel.
But i gotta go and see the longest yard and the program sometime soon!

MASH had a long football sequence near the end of the movie. Starring a few NFL players of the time, Timmy Brown, Ben Davidson, a couple of others I think. Timmy Brown was an Eagles RB in the 60s, not the more recent Tim Brown WR.

Paullyboy

Coach
camsmith said:
AAre you kidding me? Remember the titans is awesome, and very well done. I do like Any Given Sunday (own it..).. but it is a typical "blockbuster" and pretty predictible, the action sequence's save it from a flop IMO. For me it drags on with the same old same old, and the team names among other things give it a fake feel.
But i gotta go and see the longest yard and the program sometime soon!

I think the thing that made Any Given Sunday work was the use of the soundtrack, it was brilliantly done, some of the best sound/picture work ive ever seen

legend

Coach
The only part I disliked was the fake teams. I wish Stone had sought permission to use the NFL teams and Lombardi trophy instead of the Pantheon Cup.

They used the real teams in Jerry Maguire, why not Any Given Sunday?

Tommy Smith

Referee
legend said:
The only part I disliked was the fake teams. I wish Stone had sought permission to use the NFL teams and Lombardi trophy instead of the Pantheon Cup.

They used the real teams in Jerry Maguire, why not Any Given Sunday?
They probably did ask,but all the behind the scenes stuff that took place in the movie are probably not the images the proper teams want to be associated with.

Jerry McGuire on the other hand, although i havent seen it all, doesnt appear to be hardcore.

legend

Coach
I was thinking along the same lines because you only see a bit of the Cardinals v Cowboys with Rod Tidwell the star receiver.

Any Given Sunday was all about the game and a lot more action shots.

Big Tim

First Grade
I like Remember the Titans. It is a football movie with more than a "This guy is a no-good QB... Oh wait, now he's a superstar" feel that most (most I have seen) have. I also liked Varsity Blues. Movies like the Waterbot and the Replacements are really funny, but dont stand up as "football" movies, they are comedies first football second.

Anyone know that TO is in Any Given Sunday? He catches a TD for the Sharks, wears #82 and has Owens on the back of his jersey. Watch the credits for a special thanks to him.

Titans and Any Given Sunday are the best football movies i have seen, not to mention AGS has Cameron Diaz and Elizabeth Berkley in it..... Yummy.

Paullyboy

Coach
Me and a mate commented on that Owens guy in any given sunday saying that they didnt even try and hide who they were pretending it was. I didnt realise they actually got the real deal to be a part of the movie though.

There is a remake of the 1974 classic The Longest Yard coming out soon, with Adam Sandler in the Burt Reynolds role.

Cupid Stunt

No because Rudy sux! :D

Steve I just saw an ad for "The Longest Yard" last night. Adam Sandler should be banned from Gridiron movies unless it's "The Waterboy 2" because you just cant see him suited up & take him serious. :lol:

camsmith

Juniors
Is it a serious movie, from the ad's it looks like another "the replacements" kind of movie...... :s maybe its just how they want people to think of it..

Foz

Bench
I liked the movie Nick Nolte was in.
I think it was North Dallas Forty.
The other movie about Dallas with Debbie in it wasn't bad either.

Bumble

First Grade
I watched Any Given Sunday last night and it was quite good.

Remember The Titans is still my favourite, though.

Collateral

Coach
I saw Friday Night Lights the other week...its just come out at the video store...pretty enjoyable movie.