What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Favourite Panther wins

soc123_au

Staff member
Brandys last home game vs Canberra round 25 1999 always holds a special memory for me.

And John Cartwright's last game. Round 22 1996 vs Parramatta worth a mention too.

Brandy's last game at Penrith was a cracker. Vintage Brandy. It's a shame his final game the next week was a bust.

Brandys last home game vs Canberra round 25 1999 always holds a special memory for me.

And John Cartwright's last game. Round 22 1996 vs Parramatta worth a mention too.

I was at Cartwright’s last game as well. What a miserable night that was in terms of weather! Only about 3000 fans turned up but it was quite a good game.

Cartwright’s conversion starts the end was cool. Did Gower play in that game?

Whino

Bench
I was at Cartwright’s last game as well. What a miserable night that was in terms of weather! Only about 3000 fans turned up but it was quite a good game.

Cartwright’s conversion starts the end was cool. Did Gower play in that game?

Yes, Gower played. I think Carter was injured then, but Gower wouldn't have made way for him.

I remember Parra had to win big for an outside chance of making the finals. I think they shot out to a 10 point lead at halftime. Jody Gall scored a double either side of the break I think.
Cartwright just missed the conversion from the left sideline - I think? He nearly nailed it.
It was also Gary Freeman's last game too.

1. Bobby Thompson
2. Fred Petersen
3. Ryan Girdler
4. Ned Catic
5. Andrew Hinson
6. Garen Casey
7. Craig Gower
8. Carl MacNamara
9. Brett Boyd
10. John Cartwright
11. Phil Adamson
12. Steve Waddell
13. Jody Gall
Bench 14. Brad Drew
Bench 15. Gavin Clinch
Bench 16. Duncan MacGillivray
Bench 17. Fa'ausu Afoa

http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/seasons/arl-1996/round-22/penrith-vs-parramatta/summary.html

Panther Mick

Juniors
Another good one. Round 12 2004 vs The Bulldogs.
We won 40-29. The match ebbed and flowed throughout. It was the ticker of the side that impressed me that day. Gower got injured in Origin earlier in the week and didn't play.
Girds injured his hamstring in scoring an intercept try against the Bulldogs that equalled Greg Alexander’s then club record of 101. Preston got injured later on forcing us to have a halves combination of Lewis and Amos Roberts. Trailing 29-28 we scored 2 more tries for a gutsy win.

Kilkenny

Coach
We won 40-29. The match ebbed and flowed throughout. It was the ticker of the side that impressed me that day. Gower got injured in Origin earlier in the week and didn't play.
Girds injured his hamstring in scoring an intercept try against the Bulldogs that equalled Greg Alexander’s then club record of 101. Preston got injured later on forcing us to have a halves combination of Lewis and Amos Roberts. Trailing 29-28 we scored 2 more tries for a gutsy win.
I wonder if there are highlights on you tube? I don’t remember the game but at 59 years of age my memory Is not what it once was. I do remember that one season of Amos Roberts ,wow, what a season he had.

TheFrog

Coach
Gutsy run by Girdler, whose hamstring went some way from home. Unfortunately we got flogged twice after that by this mob, on their way to winning the comp. Injuries were not kind to this side in the latter stages.
Beating Parra at home to finish 1st in 2003 was it for me
The Eels led 12-0 early in this one, needing to win by 28 or so. Match callers had them past the post and in the finals after 10 minutes. Roy Masters described them in print, once the Panthers clicked into gear, as like a dog on a slippery floor, the harder they tried to run the less they achieved.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
I wonder if there are highlights on you tube? I don’t remember the game but at 59 years of age my memory Is not what it once was. I do remember that one season of Amos Roberts ,wow, what a season he had.

Kayo has it in their classic games. So many great tries in that.
Amos shoulder charging the winger was a highlight

Fangs

Coach

Yes my favourite. I was at the ground. Amazing day.

Girds intercept try was amazing. As well as his attempted comeback. He realised we were down on players so he strapped up and got ready to go back out. Wasn't needed in the end.

GongPanther

Referee
Brandy's last game at Penrith was a cracker. VintageBrandy. It's a shame his final game the next week was a bust.
That was a season which held so much promise for us, only to lose in those 5 rounds between 16 to 20 which in effect made it all so difficult for the rest of the season.

It also was a finals series were I was convince this was the Sharkies best chance at their 1st premiership, but Mundine scored a hat-trick to end their run in the SF. Melbourne made up for it in the GF which will go down as the strangest finish in GF history.

TheFrog

Coach
NRL.com had the final round game of 1992 on last evening, us vs the wooden spooner Gold Coast Seagulls, played at Tweed Heads. It was Wally's last game, that's why it was on. I only watched the first half. All our points were scored in the first half, and we should have led by 20+ with the holes the Seagulls had, and with the personnel we had, but it was 8-6 at halftime, and the GC ended up doing it for Wally and getting the try they needed in the second half to win 12-8, 2 tries all. A sad finish to a very sad season for us. I'm sure they could have challenged the Broncos that year if their minds were on the job.

NRL.com had the final round game of 1992 on last evening, us vs the wooden spooner Gold Coast Seagulls, played at Tweed Heads. It was Wally's last game, that's why it was on. I only watched the first half. All our points were scored in the first half, and we should have led by 20+ with the holes the Seagulls had, and with the personnel we had, but it was 8-6 at halftime, and the GC ended up doing it for Wally and getting the try they needed in the second half to win 12-8, 2 tries all. A sad finish to a very sad season for us. I'm sure they could have challenged the Broncos that year if their minds were on the job.

I always look back on that game with a great deal of sadness.

Whino

Bench
A few big wins have popped up as favourites.
Here are a few more. How many can you recall?

Vs Adelaide Rams round 4 1998. (54-12)
The Adamson brothers scored 3 tries between them.

Vs Brisbane round 26 2004. (46-20)
Gower, Lewis and Rooney scored doubles.

Vs Canberra round 25 1982. (42-8)
Doubles to Fenton, Marshall & Walden.

Vs Bulldogs round 13 2017 (38-0)
A double to Rein.
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/pe...over-canterbury-bulldogs-20170604-gwk48o.html

Vs Cronulla round 26 2000 (44-6)
Double to Beckett and Carter.

Vs Titans round 2 2015 (40-0)
A hattrick to Idris and double to Whare.

Vs Cowboys round 24 2004 (56-6)
A hattrick to Wesser and double to Whaturia.

Who remembers this one?
Vs Norths round 1 1976 (43-9)
A hattrick to Peter Newsome and a double to Bill Ashurst.

Vs Roosters round 11 2009 (48-6)
A hattrick to Jennings and a double to Wade Graham.

Vs Magpies round 3 1999 (60-6)
4 tries to the Aeroplaneman.

Blues Riff

Bench
The Eels led 12-0 early in this one, needing to win by 28 or so. Match callers had them past the post and in the finals after 10 minutes. Roy Masters described them in print, once the Panthers clicked into gear, as like a dog on a slippery floor, the harder they tried to run the less they achieved.
I was at this one too. The Roosters would have won the minor premiership if they'd won their game and if we lost to Parra. (back in the days when games were played at the same time). Anyways, I found myself standing in the walkway onto the field. Next to me was a lanky grey haired gent with the JJG shield leaning on his leg. It was David Gallop. We were not certainties at this stage (about 65 minutes in) but I thanked Dave for his vote of confidence. He said "Destiny mate".

Latest posts