What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Feleti Mateo preparing to leave Parramatta at end of 2010

aussies1st

Staff member
Parramatta playmaker Feleti Mateo is steeling himself for the harsh reality he may be forced out of the NRL club at the end of 2010 due to salary cap pressures.

Mateo, 25, was a key member of Daniel Anderson's 17-man squad that stormed into the NRL grand final in 2009.

While he is determined to make 2010 a personal breakthrough season, he says he also knows the clock may be ticking on his time at the club.

With young gun Daniel Mortimer, classy centre Krisnan Inu and club veteran Luke Burt, among others, off contract at the end of this season, the Eels know they have some tough decisions ahead of them.

But Mateo believes he could be the one to change colours if Parramatta is forced to shed some cash in order to remain under the cap.

"I'm a local boy and want to stay here at Parramatta. But I also know there's a lot of talent and salary-cap issues. Whether they can fit me in is another thing," Mateo said.

"I want to stay, but I also understand if they can't keep me."

Eels supremo Paul Osborne said he had told Mateo he was wanted beyond this season.

"Feleti's a Parramatta junior, a Parramatta supporter and his family are big fans of the club, so we're determined to keep him," Osborne said.

"But we know there is interest from other clubs."

The Bulldogs and Warriors have both been linked to Mateo - one of the NRL's most exciting players at his best - but he said he was only focused on "going one better with Parra" this season and winning an overdue NRL title.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,26615346-5018866,00.html

Is he worth a shot?

84 Baby

Referee
In reality Brendan Oake would be a much better pick up for you guys. Same player but cheaper

Green Evil

Juniors
He would be a great pick up and considering he is probably best suited as a ball playing lock you would play him there. Tongue is getting towards the end and playing hooker from what it seems and our other lock options are workers as well so his line breaking and ball playing abilities would make him a great addition to the squad.

In saying that i would think we would have to pay overs to get him to even consider heading to Canberra. More likely to end up at another Sydney team from what you hear.

84 Baby

Referee
Where would we play him? Campo is a better running 5/8.
2nd rowers we have heaps.

I know Mateo is a class player but I really cant find where we would play him.
Unless TLL makes a permanent move to frontrow when Logan retires,
See pick up Oake. Hagan had him playing in all forward positions except hooker. Great value

aussies1st

Staff member
In reality Brendan Oake would be a much better pick up for you guys. Same player but cheaper

Are you trying to offload him like we want to do with Kelly?

Finding a spot wouldn't be a problem, you make a spot for a player like him. Look at him as a luxury, not something we need but would look great in our team. Can play 5/8 at a pinch and would add that x-factor at lock. We could probably go
Shillington
Waddell
TLL
Joel Thompson
Harrison
Mateo

14. Tongue

I know its all a dream though, his asking price will be through the roof and we might need to grab a halfback depending on how we go there this season.

forget Mateo he will join a sydney club, he grew up around that area he has family there etc, if anything we should pay overs for a halfback i dont think we will be a serious threat until we sign a decent one!

84 Baby

Referee
Are you trying to offload him like we want to do with Kelly?

Finding a spot wouldn't be a problem, you make a spot for a player like him. Look at him as a luxury, not something we need but would look great in our team. Can play 5/8 at a pinch and would add that x-factor at lock. We could probably go
Shillington
Waddell
TLL
Joel Thompson
Harrison
Oake

14. Tongue

I know its all a dream though, his asking price will be through the roof and we might need to grab a halfback depending on how we go there this season.
Much better team. Telecrap is beating up Parra's cap issues. Oake is the only one legitimately looking to be offloaded. Good player just bit on small side