What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Female Refs

Vee

First Grade
But lets also not forget that the media / commentators make it worse by carrying on and getting it wrong far more often than the referees.
Fixed. If it's so obvious, they should do a course, pick up a whistle and show us all how it should be done.

mattyg

Bench
I’ve seen a few games. Overall I don’t think Belinda Sharpe has been too bad at all. She’s actually been better than half the other refs out there. Kasey Badger though has had some shockers and lost control of the game yesterday. I don’t think I’ve ever seen so many successful captains challenges… Sezer should have been binned for that hip drop and then it all boiled over at the end and Mahoney didn’t go for being 3rd man in (dogs fan here).

Danish

Referee
The amount of white knighting being done by blokes on behalf of badger on social media at the moment is bloody embarrassing.

When Klein had a shocker a few weeks ago he was hounded mercilessly. the NRL promptly dropped him, and rightfully so. Badger’s game yesterday was by far the worst officiated game of the year and she deserves the attention she’s copping. But watch it be turned into a sexism issue today and Casey receiving some sort of statement of support from thr NRL by tomorrow

Vlad59

Juniors
The amount of white knighting being done by blokes on behalf of badger on social media at the moment is bloody embarrassing.

When Klein had a shocker a few weeks ago he was hounded mercilessly. the NRL promptly dropped him, and rightfully so. Badger’s game yesterday was by far the worst officiated game of the year and she deserves the attention she’s copping. But watch it be turned into a sexism issue today and Casey receiving some sort of statement of support from thr NRL by tomorrow
Great post. Badger lost control of that game. The last ten minutes were unwatchable. Sharp managed her game well but was let down by a bunker howler. This isn’t about gender. It’s about competence. There isn’t any reason gender is an issue with referees. It’s about confidence and competence. It’s a bloody hard job and you need to be mentally right to do it. Badger looked flustered yesterday. Needs a break.

Valheru

Coach
Badger committed the cardinal sin for any ref.....being so bad that you lose control over the contest as a whole.

She should absolutely be dropped to a lower level of rugby league.

I thought Belinda Sharpe was okay tonight.

I think the real ref problem in the NRL lies with the bunker. They have been horrid this year....yet, their job is much easier than an on-field ref.
Yep, the players don't respect her and I'm sure a lot of people will point to sexism for that but at the end of the day it's due to her performance. Klein also has all the players on his face for the same reason.

We do need to separate the disaster that is the bunker from the on field ref. It isn't Badger's fault that sezar didn't go for the hip drop, she just listened to what the bunker said. I'm not convinced she would have made a different decision up there though.

cinders7

Juniors
But lets also not forget that the media / commentators make it worse by carrying on and getting it wrong as much as the referees.
Agreed. Feel like this has always been the major issue and will continue to be until the NRL have more control over the broadcasts.

Vic Mackey

Referee
For Kasey there’s 2 issues.

When she has a shocker she absolutely cops it worse than a male ref does, no one could argue against this.

On the other side did she get catapulted into first grade ahead of others, due to her being a female? From what I’ve seen from her so far, it’s an obvious yes.

I thought Annesley hung her out to dry after the Raiders/Titans game when he said she should have blown 20 more penalties or whatever it was. There was no need for it to be said publicly, and likely destroyed whatever confidence she had. Yesterday she seems very hesitant and like she was guessing/making it up as she went. She needs to go back to NSW cup, not just for one week, but for 5/6 as a minimum. You don’t undo what happened yesterday in a week.

Last edited:
yeah usually u can get away with a few bad calls but from the very start she was only watching one team and than later on she was watching no teams lol
i mean how does she not send both Mahoney and sezer off
i blame a lot of this on the nrl too these rule changes have become a joke, rugby league in general is becoming a joke

2010Dragons

Bench
Referring is a very hard gig.

A good referee should be heard NOT seen.
A good referee uses more IQ and less EQ
The problem with Kasey and Belinda is they try really hard to use more EQ.
They try to man manage every player on the field.
Referees job is to rule on the rules. They don’t need to talk to every player. You are the referee not the coach.

Be consistent and be fair with EVERY call then you don’t have every player complaining to you. USE your whistle not your mouth.

aqua_duck

Coach
Yep, the players don't respect her and I'm sure a lot of people will point to sexism for that but at the end of the day it's due to her performance. Klein also has all the players on his face for the same reason.

We do need to separate the disaster that is the bunker from the on field ref. It isn't Badger's fault that sezar didn't go for the hip drop, she just listened to what the bunker said. I'm not convinced she would have made a different decision up there though.
A few years ago the video ref was copping it deluxe and the NRL said they would change the system, it would be in a nice office at HQ, fancy camera angles, etc the problem is they didn’t actually address the issue being the officials making the bad decisions, it was just a PR exercise. I’ve said this for a long time but the bunker should be manned by the most senior officials, who do multiple games for the sake of consistency. The Bunker is your last line of defence against an absolute game changer howler, do you really want that last line of defence to be Kasey Badger or Ashley Klein? That’s the equivalent of having Darius Boyd as your fullback

Anyone who has played any sport at a level where there is familiarity between players and officials will know, there are some that are so bad that you accept it going into the game. Badger is this at professional levels.

It’s like knowing what officials are strict on certain things compare to others and altering your behaviour for it.

Mr. Shaman

First Grade

Throw in lack of spatial awareness for good measure
"As Badger is in front of the ball, she is not in a position to receive the ball. She stops in the defensive line, and her actions impede the ability of Hughes to make a tackle. Challenge by the NRL is unsuccessful, penalty Bulldogs."

Maximus

Coach
Referring is a very hard gig.

A good referee should be heard NOT seen.
A good referee uses more IQ and less EQ
The problem with Kasey and Belinda is they try really hard to use more EQ.
They try to man manage every player on the field.
Referees job is to rule on the rules. They don’t need to talk to every player. You are the referee not the coach.

Be consistent and be fair with EVERY call then you don’t have every player complaining to you. USE your whistle not your mouth.

Is that why you call them whores?

Even the commentators don't understand why this whore of a referee is always calling 6 again.

She must be broken.

I'm happy to pay it for him.... This whore is destroying the game.

Dumb whore is clueless.

Wizardman

First Grade
Based on NRL games I've seen with female refs, I'd say the players behaviour has been extremely respectful of the referee. The only time I saw disrespect was on Saturday against Badger. Absolute reflection of the way the game was reffed that day.

Latest posts