What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FFBRL End of Season Rerating and Drafts

Misanthrope

Staff member
With the season heading into its final stretch, the FFBRL has some hard decisions to make.

Hard, but I think very beneficial for the game in the long run.

A few months ago I proposed a system that, barring any major complaints, I'd like us to adopt.

In brief, at season's end we'll have ratings organised (MrC and I are working on a system), a salary cap set, and a limit of 50 'years' worth of contracts we can allocate to our players (with a maximum of five years per player).

This will mean talent coming 'off contract' to enter into the draft. The draft will be done in reverse order of finishing to equalise talent.

At the end of each season, a year is deducted from each contract a club has. A five year becomes a four year etc. Those who go from 1 year to zero are off contract.

However, each club has five extensions per year. Extensions can be made to last from 1-5 years. The player's salary is adjusted to fit their current ratings.

---------

Other facets of the proposal (such as having a reserve club) are up in the air for now. The big thing we need to decide is:

What stats are important to each position?

MrC is working on a system that calculates 2015 statistics to generate ratings. To decide ratings, we need to decide what stats contribute to what in game rating.

For example, try scoring is obviously a more important part of a winger's game than a prop forward's. We need to decide which stats to use to gauge a player's ability.

We then need to decide on benchmarks. How many tackles does a player need to make to be a defense 8 or 9?

I'm open to input and suggestions. If we don't get any, MrC and I will have to work it out ourselves and ya'll will have to live with it :crazy:

Last edited:

Dutchy

Immortal
I prefer the Dutchy system of Player Ratings.

Also, I'll give you a rundown of a real system later on. AKA, tweak someone's who is almost right, and make it better. Ceebs doing all the grunt work.

MrCharisma

Bench
Thanks for getting the ball rolling Chris, it's been on my radar for a while.

When I get home I'll share the statistics that are readily available to the public. As a baseline I believe all player ratings need to be based on performance statistics and then bench marked against their peers. When that's all said and done we can overlay (and argue) the X factors that can't be captured.

What I have ready today is the first 10-14 rounds of the NRL... with about 20 statistic categories. I don't want to progress any further until;
1. We agree on this approach
2. We agree on what defines the key measures for Att & Def per position

It should also worth noting that I've formulated a player salary methadology for salary cap

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
For me stats wise

Fullbacks - Kick return meters, LB, tries, assists
Wing and Centre - Tries, meters, LB
6/7 - Assists, kick meters, tries could be good
Props - Hit ups, offloads, meteres
Hooker - Tackles, runs, avg run meters
2nd row/locks - tackles, hit ups, offloads

Love the contract idea
I assume each player will have a specific value to fall into the salary cap?
50 years worth of contracts seems a bit low though if our squads are say 25 (re-feedback in reducing squad numbers), would think a number closer to 65-70 would be better. Happy to trial whatever is decided though.

Also, like the idea of a reserve grade idea where we carry a suplement draft, these players can fill in a max amount of games for you to cover injuries etc, but are open to be bought on contracts at any stage by a rival team (provided its to a top tier contract)

Drew-Sta

Staff member
I'm happy in principle to move forward with this approach. My only caveat is:

* I would like to see all ratings prior to making my squad nominations
* A clear and concise document for the salary cap is tabled, pinned and agreed to by all (Most of this is already done; I just want everyone to be ok with it and aware of it).

Would you like us to submit our 'criteria' in here?

MrC; my entire job is excel based, so if you need help applying these stats via formula's etc, let me know and I can help.

How is SL players being done?

soc123_au

Staff member
I'm happy in principle to move forward with this approach. My only caveat is:

* I would like to see all ratings prior to making my squad nominations
* A clear and concise document for the salary cap is tabled, pinned and agreed to by all (Most of this is already done; I just want everyone to be ok with it and aware of it).

Would you like us to submit our 'criteria' in here?

MrC; my entire job is excel based, so if you need help applying these stats via formula's etc, let me know and I can help.

How is SL players being done?

The bolded are my main concerns. I believe SL players should be rated lower than NRL, I don't expect too many allies on that though.

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
I agree they should.
Often you see guys that would be rated a 6/6 or 6/7 turn our performances alike of a 8/8 or higher.

mickyj

Bench
yeh SL needs to be a bit harder to get higher stats imo but not too much

say it 30 tackles for a NRL forward to be a 8 make it like 33 for a ESL guy
bit more to look at then that but its a rough idea for starters. Too many guys are average in NRL turn into super stars over there

Bazal

Post Whore
So if an average player changes clubs and starts killing it they should be rated as average regardless? :lol: some players aren't suited to the boring bullshit wrestling grind of the NRL. So we should punish their coaches, obviously. I for one am out if that happens

Misanthrope

Staff member
I do tend to agree that there should be a slightly higher increase in what is required statistically for an ESL player to get a 9.

As soc says, it needn't be a huge gap - but I think it's widely agreed (maybe not by those who have based their clubs around European players) that there's a bit of a gulf in quality between the two leagues.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
I think we should be more discerning rather than blanket rule ESL. They've prosuced players of comparable skill to the NRL. Sam Tompkins, Mike Cooper, Burgess', James Graham etc are all examples of that.

Misanthrope

Staff member
But there's no way you can sit there and with a straight face say that scoring 20 tries in the ESL is as hard as scoring 20 in the NRL, surely?

Bazal

Post Whore
In that case I may as well let someone take South Canberra now. I said it years ago when this was discussed over at ASRL and I hold that same opinion here.

There are more overstatted NRL players than ESL players anyway.

Misanthrope

Staff member
In that case I may as well let someone take South Canberra now. I said it years ago when this was discussed over at ASRL and I hold that same opinion here.

There are more overstatted NRL players than ESL players anyway.

Which is why we're setting up a system to remove as much personal bias and errors in judgement as possible.

I think you're stressing out way too early. It's not going to be the top ESL players who suffer. It's going to be the middling ones who are currently rating 7/7 or 8/7 simply because they start for Widnes.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
But there's no way you can sit there and with a straight face say that scoring 20 tries in the ESL is as hard as scoring 20 in the NRL, surely?

Pat Richards killed it in ESL. He killed it in NRL. To me he is a great player.

Peter Fox, Greg Eden etc; they're all gun players. To make the distinction that NRL is better than ESL is to penalise English players for their style rather than their skill. I agree with Baz on this.

When Mike Cooper came out here, noone knew him. He was as talented as Merrin and a few years younger. He's proven he's as talented as Merrin. Same with Burgess and Graham; they're gun players. If they come fr the ESL, that suggests to me the competition is in a good place.

Chad Randall? Matt Wright? They're playin first grade but are far blow the quality of their ESL equivalents. If those two can make the NRL, then it defeats your argument that the NRL is a higher quality comp.

Bazal

Post Whore
You're talking about punishing, stat wise, players for playing in a more open, attacking competition. I'm not on board with that at all. Of course it's easier to score when the main focus is points, not who can grapple the other team the most

Misanthrope

Staff member
Pat Richards killed it in ESL. He killed it in NRL. To me he is a great player.

Peter Fox, Greg Eden etc; they're all gun players. To make the distinction that NRL is better than ESL is to penalise English players for their style rather than their skill. I agree with Baz on this.

When Mike Cooper came out here, noone knew him. He was as talented as Merrin and a few years younger. He's proven he's as talented as Merrin. Same with Burgess and Graham; they're gun players. If they come fr the ESL, that suggests to me the competition is in a good place.

Chad Randall? Matt Wright? They're playin first grade but are far blow the quality of their ESL equivalents. If those two can make the NRL, then it defeats your argument that the NRL is a higher quality comp.

And their stats probably reflect that. You're selecting the best players out of the ESL - of course they're good and of course they're going to remain good.

I'm talking about the guys like Scott Dureau who proved they weren't up to snuff here, but who are world-beaters there. It won't make them 2/1, but it won't let them be 9/6 either.

Bazal

Post Whore
And their stats probably reflect that. You're selecting the best players out of the ESL - of course they're good and of course they're going to remain good.

I'm talking about the guys like Scott Dureau who proved they weren't up to snuff here, but who are world-beaters there. It won't make them 2/1, but it won't let them be 9/6 either.

Hes a perfect example of a player who has thrived not having to make thirty "tackles"on one out running props. His problem was never attack, it was his inability to even pretend to be a defender. Run at him, make him miss, his head and his energy levels drop and he's out of the game. Why should he be punished for playing in a competition that suits his style?

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Sure, Scott isn't 9/6, but then Cam Smith isn't 10/9 either.

My issue is Scott is a strong player who should be rated well. Context is important. He had Gidley, Mullen and Walsh in front of him; thats more why he didn't crack the NRL.