What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fielden : Ban for punch harsh

ShadesOfTheSun

Juniors
Fairleigh Good! said:
Any dog can throw a lucky punch. I've seen people almost killed through people throwing lucky punches like that. Mason proved his cowardice just minutes later with the assault on Sean Long.

Which is what most people are bothered about. GB only cited Mason for the punch because of the ridiculous and insulting decision to rule he had no case to answer for the elbow. Even Fielden himself has come out in the press to say he didn't deserve a ban for the punch, but everyone bar the disciplinary panel (Who have ticket sales for the final in that hell hole league backwater Sydney to worry about) and a few geniused Australian's like that fat fu$k Gould and Ricky Stuart can see he should be banned for the Long elbow.

It also amazes me that Mason hasn't appologised for that incident.
What amazes me is that people who say it doesn't matter who won the fight, because GB won the game, are spending so much time trying to convince others that the fight was unfair, that one person involved just got lucky, or that the outcome was somehow voided by the melee that followed. The amount of attention you guys are dedicating to belittling Mason's punch as well as his character suggests to me that it bothers you more than you're willing to let on that Fielden fared so poorly in the fight. First it was 'it was a cheap shot', then '...but Peacock decked him anyway', and then 'and Mason's punch was just lucky!'

If league is not about boxing, as many of you GB fans have stated, and all that mattered was the outcome of the game, then why is this ridiculous issue dominating all of the attention at the moment? It wouldn't make a difference to Mason's penalty whether his hit caught Fielden off guard, whether it was lucky or cheap or good, so why should it matter to you? You have all been telling the Aussies on the board that a player's quality is not determined by his ability to box, so why does it matter whether or not Fielden has a glass jaw?

You won't get any argument about Mason being a scumbag from me, but it is actually possible to be a coward and be able to throw a good punch at the same time, you know. The most pertinent question, to me, is why it matters how good a punch Mason can throw. His ability as a boxer has nothing to do with his ability as a player - who cares how good or bad he is at brawling?

simon says

First Grade
Cos Pommies think they are the hard men of the Universe......and to see their top man dropped so easily has dented the pride BIG TIME.And basically its all they have had for 30 years.I dunno how many times Ive heard how they lost the game but won the fight.

Its quite hilarious watching them running around in circles trying to cover it up......it was a cheap shot,his hand wasnt cocked,what about his hit on Long.......blah,blah.

Fielden went for Willie and got roasted in one shot........acceptance is the key to understanding and allowing the healing process to begin.

WJ

Juniors
simon says said:
Cos Pommies think they are the hard men of the Universe......and to see their top man dropped so easily has dented the pride BIG TIME.And basically its all they have had for 30 years.I dunno how many times Ive heard how they lost the game but won the fight.

Its quite hilarious watching them running around in circles trying to cover it up......it was a cheap shot,his hand wasnt cocked,what about his hit on Long.......blah,blah.

Fielden went for Willie and got roasted in one shot........acceptance is the key to understanding and allowing the healing process to begin.

You mean like mason couldn't accept it when kidwel got him?

I'd suggest it's you australians that want to be the hardmen the way you keep harping on about this fecking punch.

Maybe if you had won it would mean something.

borntoride

Juniors
I think the player was lucky not to get a ban from the tournament considering the nature of the first 10 minutes.

simon says

First Grade
WJ said:
You mean like mason couldn't accept it when kidwel got him?

I'd suggest it's you australians that want to be the hardmen the way you keep harping on about this fecking punch.

Maybe if you had won it would mean something.

Fair call on the Kiwi game......I thought Kidwell got him fair and square,and Willie went on like a turnip,I reckon his pride was dented.

On Aussies,we dont want to be hard,we are hard.Ask Fielden.

On winning,Aussies have been kicking the pommies arses for so long that if we dont win by 30 points we feel like it was a loss.

ShadesOfTheSun

Juniors
WJ: All of the topics about the fight that I've seen have been started by GB fans. You've been simultaneously claiming that the outcome of the fight doesn't matter, because GB won the game, and at the same time relying on every reason you can think of to diminish the outcome of the fight AS a fight. Mason just got lucky, he caught Fielden off guard, it was a cheap hit, etc. For a group of fans who claim that league is not boxing, and that players' abilities to fight are therefore unimportant, you're awfully insistent in upholding your man's reputation as a fighter.

Bullseye

Juniors
The fight really isn't an issue. Every player involved seems to think that it was just one of those things. As soon as Mason and Fielden went toe to toe they knew what they were getting into.

However Mason's hit on Long was a disgrace. If you check it on slow motion Mason lifts his elbow just before contact with Long's eye socket. How he escaped with only 7 stitches is a miracle. It was a potential career ending hit and Mason should have got a long ban for it. McCallum wants his eyes testing if he thinks tackles like that are within the rules.

Latest posts