What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fien Considering another year

Lewish33

Juniors
From the Illawarra Mercury
http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/1452641/fien-ponders-extra-year-in-a-city-he-loves/?cs=302

Fien ponders extra year in a city he loves
By ADAM PENGILLY April 23, 2013, 10:30 p.m.
Nathan Fien.
RUGBY LEAGUE

See your ad here
Nathan Fien has added further intrigue to the Dragons' retention jigsaw, claiming he's open to the idea of prolonging his 14-year NRL career for another season once St George Illawarra's coaching future is sorted.

Despite having toyed with the decision of whether to hang up his boots at the end of 2013 since pre-season, the veteran halfback and Penrith-bound five-eighth Jamie Soward have helped steer the Dragons out of the early-season mire.

The World Cup-winning No 7 told the Mercury there was no pressure to continue playing beyond this year given his interests away from the field, but he still felt he had plenty to offer in nurturing the club's young halves.

GALLERY: The Dragons at training this week

"I've been thinking about it over the off-season but I haven't made any decisions," the 33-year-old said when quizzed on his playing future.

"Every time I get an opportunity to wear the Dragons colours I go out there and give it my best. That's all I can do. I'm very confident in my ability and I still think I've got a lot to offer the team.

"If the time comes down the track and we find out who's coaching and that gets settled, then we can see [about my future]. If I'm definitely wanted, I'm available, but at this stage it's really focused on week-in, week-out and this big Anzac clash on Thursday."

Full coverage of the NRL

Skipper Ben Creagh, Matt Cooper, Mitch Rein, Michael Weyman, Chase Stanley and Matt Prior are other Dragons yet to confirm their playing future beyond this season.

St George Illawarra have also been linked with several coaches to replace the off-contract Steve Price, who has steeled the Dragons' defence in recent weeks to launch the one-time wooden-spoon favourites back into the top eight.

But the recruitment of Melbourne five-eighth Gareth Widdop to a four-year multimillion-dollar deal has clouded the future of Fien, whose young family is entrenched in Wollongong.

Fien, capped 22 times for his New Zealand, has already spent five-year stints across the Tasman with the Warriors and in far north Queensland with the Cowboys.

"We love it [in Wollongong], but at the end of the day you've got to make decisions for your family and we've done it in the past," Fien said.

"If you have to move away to play footy you do that. I guess outside of football I've got a few other things so the pressure's not there to be playing next year."

That might dash the prospect of playing against long-time partner in crime Soward, who has won the support of team-mates to fire the Dragons back into the finals.

"I personally didn't think I'd see him playing for another club other than the Red V," Fien said.

"That's the way it goes. It's professional footy and the nature of the beast. I wish him well, but for Sowie he's an integral part of what we do here at the club and his kicking game is so important to us. It's probably the best in the comp. We definitely need him firing on all cylinders this year."

Meanwhile, Roosters skipper Anthony Minichiello gave Sonny Bill Williams the green light to overcome a knee complaint that kept him out of New Zealand's loss to Australia in the Anzac Test on Friday night.

See your ad here
The former All Black had been rated only a 50-50 chance earlier in the week to play his first Anzac Day game for the Roosters.

"He's looking pretty good," Minichiello said. "He had a little niggle in his knee, but he's trained over the last couple of days and I think he'll be taking his place in the side."

Follow @mercury_sports

Last edited by a moderator:

BennyV

Referee
I'd imagine he wont be there next year, they won't exactly we begging for him to stay.

Minh

First Grade
He's still got it but only just why stay on too long he's achieved everything already.

Mr Red

First Grade
King and Rein to be the hooker rotation.
we need a half back still... Widdop at 6.

Bye Bye Nathan..thanks for the memories.

anth20

Bench
Given that the club was not going to re-sign Soward, what chance does Fien think he really has.

TheRev

First Grade
If Fein is dirt cheap he is possible as a backup for injury, possibly play cutters, all depends on expectations.

Mattc

Juniors
Plays for the cutters, adds experience to the whole squad,
particularly the younger players.
If he is cheap enough, I see no harm.
If he is to be part of the first grade plans, then I see a big problem.

Dudes there's continuing very heavy speculation over on the Eels site that they're chasing Rein hard and offering him more money than we are. They reckon he's the missing piece. Could easily just be wishful thinking. People coming on here would've been surprised at how deluded we all were about Bellamy signing for Saints when it was a non-story everywhere else.

But they need a hooker and they'd have half a mil in the cap for the slot. I reckon if we get Chase and Williams we could cover the loss. But if we think Chase is our halfback, King's our hooker and Cook's a good enough back up, that makes us look pretty thin to me.

In the King vs Rein debate I'm on the fence. King's got more raw talent and he kicks, but Rein is all effort and commitment and he'll play the full season.

Elias1983

Coach
Dudes there's continuing very heavy speculation over on the Eels site that they're chasing Rein hard and offering him more money than we are. They reckon he's the missing piece. Could easily just be wishful thinking. People coming on here would've been surprised at how deluded we all were about Bellamy signing for Saints when it was a non-story everywhere else.

But they need a hooker and they'd have half a mil in the cap for the slot. I reckon if we get Chase and Williams we could cover the loss. But if we think Chase is our halfback, King's our hooker and Cook's a good enough back up, that makes us look pretty thin to me.

In the King vs Rein debate I'm on the fence. King's got more raw talent and he kicks, but Rein is all effort and commitment and he'll play the full season.

Keep rein, offer them king.

You got young cook in there who can be back-up dumy.

watatank

Coach

We also have Garvey who is at least as good as Rein was in the U20s (IMO better)...I can't see why we couldn't develop him in a similar fashion. We also have Kyle as backup this time and who knows what might happen if we can get him fit again.

BennyV

Referee
...But they need a hooker and they'd have half a mil in the cap for the slot. I reckon if we get Chase and Williams we could cover the loss. But if we think Chase is our halfback, King's our hooker and Cook's a good enough back up, that makes us look pretty thin to me...

I heard that Parra have said no to the asking price of $500k. However, if we had Chase at 7, King at 9, Cook at 14 with Garvey to fill in at a stretch, I'd say we are pretty well served - 1 promising NRL level hooker, 1 reserve and 1 up-and-coming youngster should serve us ok for hookers, dont see the point is wasting Rangi as a backup hooker...

Slippery Morris

First Grade
You would think they would keep away from Saints after they got Poore from us. Best signing for the Dragons. When Poore left the discipline and penalty count improved 100%. Thanks Parra.

Hopefully Rein will also remember how good Poore did when he moved there.

Mr Red

First Grade
give Parra Fien and both Stanley boys in a package deal. Fill up their cap so they cant get Rein..

I heard that Parra have said no to the asking price of $500k. However, if we had Chase at 7, King at 9, Cook at 14 with Garvey to fill in at a stretch, I'd say we are pretty well served - 1 promising NRL level hooker, 1 reserve and 1 up-and-coming youngster should serve us ok for hookers, dont see the point is wasting Rangi as a backup hooker...

Benny V, I like the idea of what King could be. But he's spent a lot of time injured over the past couple of years. We've already got the Stanley brothers, Weyman and Beale who are made of glass and we're linked with Dugan who's also pretty fragile. Hooker's such a critical position and you do at least feel confident that Rein will give you 24 rounds of football.

F*** I'd love to keep them both.

hardbaby

Coach
I'd much prefer Rein to King at this stage. King is probably the better player but he hardly has many runs on the board. Regardless, I'd offload Fien and let the young blood come through.

TheRev

First Grade
Gah id hate to have to make a decision on Rein/King so early, we cant keep King forever if he cant put some time on the field.. but I still think he has more potential than Rein, but right now Rein is there each week doing his job.

Unsure on Cook yet, but Garvey is the other one coming through, but still a youngen... we need to worry about the next 2 years first.