What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fifty years since Club's First Premiership

parra pete

Referee
This season it will be 50 years since the Parramatta District Rugby League Club won its first ever premiership, with the THIRD GRADE team toppling St George in the 1964 Grand Final. I had two great mates involved with the team in those days.

1964, the Parramatta Third Grade team became the FIRST to win a premiership for the Club.
The team was John Wicks, Peter Delaney, Rod Smith, Ken Stewart, Jim Poulos, Ernie Gillon, Gary McCalla, Kenny Cluff, Peter "Dutchy" Linde, Russel Johnstone, Vic Collins, Ron Workman and Matt Johnson (Capt) Coached by Mick Kelly.
Defeated St George in the Grand Final 14-4 (Linde and Delaney tries, John Wicks 4 goals)

"Go you Good things"...Ken Cluff was a good friend of mine. He died in an accident in Wagga in the early seventies..burnt to death when a fire started when he was cleaning his car.
Great bloke, Ken. He went to Parra Marist and I was a year behind him in 1961.
He was a copper in Wagga at the time of his death - and was playing with Narrandera, after playing with Wagga Magpies under Arthur Summons in the breakaway Murrumbidgee Rugby League competition.
Another good mate of mine Bobby Lee was injured at the time and would have been in that team. Bobby played in Hay Magpies first ever premiership in 1959. He was a 'bit actor' with parts in Alvin Purple, King Gee advertisement, and other newspaper and TV ads. A real character. Sadly, Bobby is suffering from Parkinson Disease and is living in a nursing home on the North Coast. I just love the bloke as both a mate, a character, and a good player.
Bob played in the Parramatta State Cup team that played Newcastle in the Final of that competition when Newcastle was part of Country Rugby League.

jono

Juniors
Better than a "bit" actor in Caligula....
All the good bits seemed to get chopped off (and I don't mean by the film editors)

parra pete

Referee
50 years ago
1964 NSW State Cup Finalists.

My mate Bob Lee in back row (fourth from left)next to Dick Thornett

state cup finalists 1964.jpg

Delboy

First Grade
Fantastic Pete, I was talking to a mate of mine and we reminisced about players from the past. Wayne Woodward limping on to the field, Bob Jay, John Baker etc - the old Cumberland Oval sitting in garbage bags with arms and head holes to keep some of the rain off.

Happy days

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Does anyone Remember Billy "Chimpy" McGovern or Don "The Pirate" Winstanley? Both of them were absolute guns and would have relished an opportunity in second grade.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I'll tell you who could punch on for a little bloke - Mathew 'Robert Matthews' Roberts. If only he'd been bigger than 5'7" - and if he could touch the ball without dropping it - he could've been anything.

parra pete

Referee
I'll tell you who could punch on for a little bloke - Mathew 'Robert Matthews' Roberts. If only he'd been bigger than 5'7" - and if he could touch the ball without dropping it - he could've been anything.

Was also sacked as an assistant to a lamb marker for dropping too much ball...