What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fiji RLWC squad

Springs

First Grade
1. Kevin Naiqama
2. Sisa Waqa
3. Wes Naiqama
4. Darryl Millard
5. Akuila Uate
6. John Sutton
7. Aaron Groom
8. Kane Evans
9. Apisai Koroisau
10. Petero Civoniceva
11. Tariq Sims
12. Ashton Sims
13. Jayson Bakuya
14. Alipate Noilea
15. James Storer
16. Junior Roqica
17. Korbin Sims
Marika Koroibete
Semi Radradra
Illisavani Jegesa
Kaliova Tani
Tikko Noke
Eloni Vunakece
Peni Botiki

Springs

First Grade
As we should. He is a joke and making a mockery of the sport.

Bullshit. The only one making a mockery of a sport is Australia. He is back where he belongs and should stay there regardless of whether he plays Origin or not.

I honestly doubt I'll see anyone (not on the internet) complaining that a player born in Fiji with Fijian heritage is going to play for Fiji. It was rightly complained about when Australia broke the rules to have him play Origin.

hutch

First Grade
Bullshit. The only one making a mockery of a sport is Australia. He is back where he belongs and should stay there regardless of whether he plays Origin or not.

I honestly doubt I'll see anyone (not on the internet) complaining that a player born in Fiji with Fijian heritage is going to play for Fiji. It was rightly complained about when Australia broke the rules to have him play Origin.

I couldn't card less if you see anybody complaining. He should never have been allowed to play for nsw, he should never of been allowed to switch to Australia and now he should definately not be allowed to switch back to Fiji against the rules again. He had a cry about switching to Australia and now that he is not good enough just goes back to Fiji, that is making a mockery of our sport. You simply should not be able to do whatever you want, there should be strong rules in place protecting the integrity of the sport and setting it up for the future.

marv

Juniors
You simply should not be able to do whatever you want, there should be strong rules in place protecting the integrity of the sport and setting it up for the future.

Happy Uate is in the Fiji squad and we get to see him in the World cup but I totally agree with this he should never have been allowed to play for Aus in the first place. Meaningful games for minor nations should be happening to build the International game so players want to keep playing nations like Fiji.

RHCP

Bench
Uate should have been allowed to play for Fiji and NSW. He is a Fijian, but as a rugby league player, he is a 100% NSWRL product.

rabbitohs95

Bench
I'd like to see Hayne drop out of the Australian team and play for Fiji, with Boyd, Inglis, Slater and the Morris twins making up the backline, it'd be nice to see him star for Fiji alongside Uate, Sutton and Waqa, i think they lack that playmaking ability that Hayne could give them.

natheel

Coach
I'd like to see Hayne drop out of the Australian team and play for Fiji, with Boyd, Inglis, Slater and the Morris twins making up the backline, it'd be nice to see him star for Fiji alongside Uate, Sutton and Waqa, i think they lack that playmaking ability that Hayne could give them.

I'd like hayne to do this too. I think it's a good chance. Plus last time he really hit his straps it was off the back of playing for Fiji. I think it would be good for him and the game in Fiji too. When I want there I wore an eels shirt and all of them love him. Also Uate is a favourite over there too

Happy Radradra was picked in the squad it's a good start for him he looks like he could be a very good winger

Evil Homer

Staff member
This won't be happening, Fiji's 24-man squad has already been named.

As for Uate, on balance I reckon it's a good thing that he's playing, the guy is a superstar in Fiji and the competition needs players like him. IMO the blame for this lies more with Australia for luring him away in the first place, but you can understand how this has happened from everyone's perspective. Just one of those things.

hutch

First Grade
No one has broken any rules

How so? The rlif changed the rules to allow one switch per World Cup cycle. Uate has already used that switch, so why is he allowed to switch again? What happens next year, will he be allowed to switch back to Australia? Then in 4 years time play for Fiji again? What a joke!

Joker's Wild

Coach
Wake up guys

Our sport already struggles enough at the Int'l level without restrictive rules that leave the smaller nations without access to the top line players.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Really?

So RL is the only Int'l sport that allows players to switch countries?

I tell you what, we are the only Int'l sport that has such a gulf between the 2 major competitions and the rest of the worlds.

Like I said, wake up. Having the big 3 countries dominate games because we dont allow the best players to represent the smaller nations will just lead to creating a bigger gulf and kill of interest in anyone watching by trowing up regualr 80-0 thrashings.

We should be encouraging top line players to represent smaller nations by adding more games to the Int'l schedule and pumping money into the kitty to pay them. Like it or not players are going to look after their wallets, and who could blame them.

Separating SOO and Int'l eligibility also needs exploring

Got any other names to call me tough guy?

Evil Homer

Staff member
^ We should be looking to create a situation where players are free to play for whichever nation they want on a level playing field. That would eliminate the need for nation swapping.

IMO the biggest issue in this case is and always has been that Uate was coerced by the ARL using Origin selection. The situation is already a complete mess, the fact that he's now switched back to Fiji at least serves some practical benefit and restores him to his original nation so I'm not too angry about it even though the rules have been broken, the whole thing is a complete free-for-all anyway so we might as well just go with whatever has the most benefit until the rules are reformed and a proper RLIF with a backbone is introduced.

Springs

First Grade
Wake up guys

Our sport already struggles enough at the Int'l level without restrictive rules that leave the smaller nations without access to the top line players.

Na na na. It's a joke! A Fijian is playing for Fiji! What a Joke! Joke! Joke! Joke!

Who gives a shit. Uate is playing who he should be playing for. The only reason this has happened is because Australia changes (or breaks) the rules to suit themselves and their Origin series. If they weren't so stubborn and let Uate play for NSW without switching to Australia, well then we wouldn't have a small minority of rugby league supporters yelling joke! all the time.

I think Fiji has done the right decision by choosing a Fijian born and bred player over a player (Hayne) who was going to wait and only choose them as their second choice. By ruling out Hayne before he could make a choice they've made a tough decision to stand by players who want to play for them first. Now Hayne could possibly miss out on a World Cup spot altogether.

hutch

First Grade
Na na na. It's a joke! A Fijian is playing for Fiji! What a Joke! Joke! Joke! Joke!

Who gives a shit. Uate is playing who he should be playing for. The only reason this has happened is because Australia changes (or breaks) the rules to suit themselves and their Origin series. If they weren't so stubborn and let Uate play for NSW without switching to Australia, well then we wouldn't have a small minority of rugby league supporters yelling joke! all the time.

I think Fiji has done the right decision by choosing a Fijian born and bred player over a player (Hayne) who was going to wait and only choose them as their second choice. By ruling out Hayne before he could make a choice they've made a tough decision to stand by players who want to play for them first. Now Hayne could possibly miss out on a World Cup spot altogether.

Na na na, lets just let players make their own rules. Play for the country they were born in one year, then switch to Australia for money and state that he owes his family the financial security and really enjoyed playing for Fiji but its time to move on, then a few years later let that player switch back to Fiji cause he is not quite good enough for Australia at the moment, then next year when he has a blinder let him play for Australia again, then in 2017 let him switch back to Fiji because he is after all Fijian and not quite good enough for origin again.

Nobody is doubting his fijianess, he simply should not be able to do as he pleases. He has now broken the already weak rules twice, he shouldn't be allowed to play for anybody but Australia in this World Cup. It is a joke, if you can't see that than you're an idiot. What's next, feleti mateo play for England this year, Australia the next and then back to tonga the year after? When does it end?

Joker's Wild

Coach
It ends when the Int'l game is strong enough to offer players the payment and incentives they deserve to play for the non-big 3 countries AND when the ARL stop forcing SOO players to declare their Int'l alligance to Australia.

Denying the smaller nations access to players who haven't been selected for Aust/NZ/England doesnt help one bit no matter how much of a "joke" you think it makes of the game. The bigger joke is watching nobodies line up against superstars and getting the stuffing belted out of them. That does far more damage to the credibility of the WC than a couple of players moving teams

Latest posts