What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fijian team for the NSW cup?

Sinman

Juniors
It does seem as though the NRL has decided that expansion will happen at the lower level's of Rugby league for now but in that expansion it will actually be growing the game significantly... There is talk that the NRL is looking at a conference style system in the future.. One of my questions would be.. does the conference idea put expansion into the NRL back onto the table and give hope to PHG/FIJI/Wellington becoming part of the big league?

The Great Dane

First Grade
It does seem as though the NRL has decided that expansion will happen at the lower level's of Rugby league for now but in that expansion it will actually be growing the game significantly... There is talk that the NRL is looking at a conference style system in the future.. One of my questions would be.. does the conference idea put expansion into the NRL back onto the table and give hope to PHG/FIJI/Wellington becoming part of the big league?

Wellington yes, PNG and Fiji no.

I mean Wellington (or an all of Nz except Auckland club) could fit in the NRL under the current system, but it doesn't matter what sort of set up the competition is if the money's not there, the money's not there.

Fiji and PNG are a minimum of 30-50 years away from being able to support an NRL club, and money isn't the only worries that the NRL would/should have about placing teams in those countries.

Having them in the lower leagues is awesome though.

if they did have a conference style systemI would like to see 4 NZ teams Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch and one other

adamkungl

Immortal
Don't really need a conference system, and 3 NZ teams is probably the ideal, some time down the track (a 2nd team NOW)

Auckland
Wellington
Christchurch

In my ideal fantasy world each would have a 2nd city that they play 2 games a year at, too. But no other NZ cities outside these 3 really have the population to support a full time NRL side imo