What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Final 2012 TV Count + Discussion

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Just double check the Knights Monday games. They were complaining when our game (sharks) was announced as a Monday some weeks back. They said it's their 3rd home & 4th Monday overall.

My heart bled for them, when this week was our 6th & we have 1 more coming.

FTR, I like MNF but I don't like it when my team is playing. 3 (or 4 max) per year each team is fair.
I think you'll find the main problem the club had wasn't so much the fact they had 3 MNF games (a quarter of total home games for the season), but only had 1 Sunday arvo game when they requested to have a fair crack on a Sunday arvo at the start of the year.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The problem is Jobdog, that 14 of the 16 clubs ask for a "fair crack at Sunday arvo".

Canterbury are in a similar boat having only two Sunday arvo home game.

firechild

First Grade
We need more day games. End of story.

Night games suck balls

This. I'd love to see them trial 3pm Saturday games again. Night games are better for tv audiences but the quality of day games is far superior.

Timmah

Staff member
Pretty straight forward to me... don't worry about Saturday arvo unless there's schedule clashes.

1 x Fri 7:30
1 x Sat 5:30
1 x Sat 7:30
2 x Sun 2:00
2 x Sun 3:00
(could even stagger these out over 1pm, 2pm, 3pm and 4pm if you wanted)
1 x Mon 7:00

4 day, 4 night.

Kiwi

First Grade
I disagree with this part but agree with you on the whole. I do go "Broncos v Wets, no thanks" because they're the same teams that keep getting shown on FTA. I don't have foxtel so unfortunately I am subjected to the same teams week in, week out. I don't like or dislike Canberra and I don't like Cronulla or Melbourne but I wouldn't actually mind getting to see them every now and then. There's no shortage of FTA games involving Parra, Stains or the Roosters despite them all being rubbish this year. A more even distribution of games would actually increase the likelyhood of me watching which completely goes against what channel 9 assumes of rugby league supporters.

you assume they are just guessing, i imagine they actually monitor the numbers, they'd be stupid not to. They put on what rates, and opinion of a forum in terms of percentage isn't really a blip on the radar when compared to the numbers they are looking at no doubt.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Just thought I'd leave this here. Add a bit more information to the discussion RE: when teams played their games at home in 2012.

nrlhomegamebreakdown.jpg

* includes "home" games at an "away" venue

Timmah

Staff member
Souths 4 Fridays should have an asterisk mate - tomorrow night's game at Bluetongue.

Same with Manly (R2 also at Bluetongue)

jonno_knights

Juniors
I think you'll find the main problem the club had wasn't so much the fact they had 3 MNF games (a quarter of total home games for the season), but only had 1 Sunday arvo game when they requested to have a fair crack on a Sunday arvo at the start of the year.

Makes you wonder how the crowd average may have looked with some more Sunday arvo games. I guess the 3 5.30pm games aren't too bad though in terms of getting home/back to Sydney at a reasonable time.

21,000+ (Less than 1000 off our best ever (1990, 2006) is still very healthy average though.

nrlnrl

First Grade
Thought I'd start this in a new thread as a separate discussion now it's final for the season - hopefully it gives rise to some productive discussion on next season's schedule and what can be improved to balance the fairness out. I also started the thread because I can :)

NRLTVCount-2012FINAL.jpg

So the fun facts:

Friday (includes Thursday R1)
MOST: Broncos 18/24, Bulldogs & Dragons 10/24, Titans Manly and Tigers 7/24.
LEAST: Sharks 1/24, Panthers Roosters Warriors 2/24, Raiders 3/24

Saturday 5:30
MOST: Raiders Titans Warriors 6/24, Storm 5/24
LEAST: Rabbitohs 0/24, Eels Panthers Dragons Broncos Tigers 1/24

Saturday 7:30 (includes Sat 9:30 early season)
MOST: Cowboys 10/24, Eels Panthers 7/24, Dragons 6/24
LEAST: Broncos 0/24, Raiders 1/24

Sunday 12pm or 2pm
MOST: Raiders 11/24, Warriors 9/24, Sharks 7/24
LEAST: Dragons 0/24, Cowboys Broncos 1/24, Rabbitohs Tigers 2/24

Sunday 3pm
MOST: Rabbitohs 7/24, Roosters Tigers 6/24, Knights Panthers 5/24
LEAST: Raiders Warriors 0/24, Titans Storm 1/24, Bulldogs Cowboys Dragons 2/24

Monday night
MOST: Sharks 7/24, Eels Panthers Roosters Tigers 4/24
LEAST: Titans 0/24, Broncos 1/24, Bulldogs Warriors Storm 2/24

Thanks for compiling that. Just a few changes needed after the Panthers v Titans game in round 25 was moved to 3.30 ( from 7.30 )

Moz 1982

Juniors
Pretty straight forward to me... don't worry about Saturday arvo unless there's schedule clashes.

1 x Fri 7:30
1 x Sat 5:30
1 x Sat 7:30
2 x Sun 2:00
2 x Sun 3:00
(could even stagger these out over 1pm, 2pm, 3pm and 4pm if you wanted)
1 x Mon 7:00

4 day, 4 night.

2 x Fri 7.45 - 1 FTA (shown in local market) 2 x Fox
1 x Sat 3.30 - FTA/Fox
1 x Sat 5.30 - Fox
1 x Sat 7.30 - Fox
1 x Sun 1.30 - Fox
1 x Sun 3.30 - FTA/Fox
1 x Mon 7.15 - FTA/Fox

Would be my ideal round structure with a Thursday night kickoff game in round one, a few Sunday night games thrown in and Monday afternoon replacing Monday night on Easter/Queens Bday weekends.

Valheru

Coach
I have been saying for ages, that the only fair way to go is the following.

4 generic timeslots (Fri night, sat night, sun arvo & mon night)

24 games each team = 6 games per timeslot. How bloody hard is it.

That would be extremely hard because it would be impossible to have each team play 6 games on the Monday. There is only 26 Monday games (including the Sunday night of round 26 and the additional Sunday game of the round before the test) meaning 52 available slots for Monday. That equals approx 3 Monday games each.

The easiest way to do it is this:

Each team plays 24 games per season with the available slots being 2 x Friday, 3 x Saturday, 2 x Sunday and 1 x Monday. Ignore the time differences between the Sat and Sun games and you have games spread out as follows:

25% on Friday (6 per team)
37.5% on Saturday (9 per team)
25% on Sunday (6 per team)
12.5% Monday (3 per team)

This does not take into consideration bye weeks and team requests etc. but the NRL should try and get as close to the above template for each team as possible. A minimum of 22 of the 26 rounds need to be fixed at the release of the schedule with the other 4 floating fixtures although my personal preference is to have only 1 or 2 rounds as floating fixtures. To answer BM’s question, I find it acceptable to lose money in the deal because of that, in fact it doesn’t bother me at all.

Frailty

First Grade
Can people stop suggesting Saturday afternoon...

It was a failure before and it would be a failure again.

firechild

First Grade
2pm Saturday might not work because people do have other committments on Saturdays but 3:30 or 4pm might be successful since most people have generally finished with kids' sports and other obligations well before that time. Plenty of people seem to suggest bringing back Saturday arvo footy so surely there are more than a handful of people that will turn up. I'd definitely go to games if they were around that time, much better time to go with kids than 7:30 and for those that have to travel (I live an hour away from Brookie without even accounting for fighting the traffic to get home) Saturday is much better than Sunday.

some11

Referee
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...for-friday-night/story-e6frexnr-1226446647711

Funny that Brisbane didn't complain about all the free-to-air games they got before this last round. Can't have your cake and eat it too, Broncs.

Umm.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/rug...ave-sunday-on-their-minds-20120314-1v2th.html

White said the Broncos had to accept the decision of host broadcaster Nine in the scheduling of matches, but would continue to campaign to the NRL and Nine for more of a mixed bag in its fixtures.

"In a perfect situation, we'd like there to be variety for our fans. Friday night games, they can work well for us if promoted and marketed the right way. But we certainly do request and actively work with the NRL and broadcaster to try and promote changes to the total Friday night night schedule," he said.

"We request Sunday games, we've requested Saturday night games in the past. We're active in that area.

"At the end of the day, once a decision is made by the broadcaster, we have to accept that decision. We don't have a right of reply at the moment in relation to that."

Us season members are sick of it too.

Last edited:

Latest posts