What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finals Footy 2004

miccle

Bench
How expensive could Ballymore be? It holds around 20K right? Easily get 10-15K for the QRL GF day imo. That'd be tops. If only Langlands park held a few more thousand people, it'd be the ideal venue imo.

mud n blood

Juniors
The QRU refuse to allow control of the gate go elsewhere. I was told its in the constitution, but don't know how true it is ....

Big Tommy

Juniors
Well they did for the Strikers!.

Mind you, they also then charged them some steep rental

But this is the day of commercial reality - anything is possible, even to the dinosaurs at the QRU

gullsfan

Juniors
oxenham said:
Ballymore would suit....if it can be worked out and scheduled.....a bit of tit for tat.
So the QRU doesn't mind using Lang park for the "State of the Union" match but they shudder at the thought of league using Ballymore? Didn't they get an Australian Super 12 record crowd, whilst playing at the home of RL in QLD, for the above match? I think that's tit for tat enough. Or is it easier for Union to get into Lang park because a neutral party ( the Events Committee or whatever they call it) mediates, whereas for League to go to Ballymore means the QRL have to plead directly to the QRU?
Personally I think 13-16,000 at (22,000 capacity) Ballymore would be both a great spectacle for the QRL and good exposure for the under utilised Ballymore. May even attract people to the BRU final, which at both I've been to (2000 & 2001) averaged about 5000, and it seemed 1/3 were relatives of Polynesians playing on the day.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
Interested to see a snippet in today's Sunday-Mail (pg 143) indicating that the QRL will consider a return to Lang Park for the GF at a Board meeting on July 6.

The number of "could's", "if's" and "was possible's" in the article doesn't give great confidence that we won't be back at Dolphin again.

mud n blood

Juniors
very dodgy story - won't accept it as a real option until they announce it WILL be there .... :?

gotta remember its origin time - uncle Ross needs to stay in the reporters faces during origin 'season' .... :roll:

mud n blood

Juniors
gullsfan - wholeheartedly agree with your sentiments.

I suggested last year that the QRL and QRU work together and stage all three top grade grand finals from each comp on the one day, as plenty of people would hang around for both - the BRL Colts at 10:00am, BRL A grade at 11:45pm, entertainment/parade at 1:30pm, introduce teams at 1:50pm, Qld Cup at 2:00pm (television purposes), QRU Colts-1 at 4:30pm, QRU 2nd grade at 6:15pm, and QRU 1st grade at 8:00pm, maybe fireworks or some crap at 10:00pm.

Both gain. Share the gate of about 15,000 - share promotional costs (I'm sure the Govt sports mob would help here too)

Its not hard :|

XXXX Cap

Juniors
Today's the date of the QRL Board meeting to decide on the Grand Final venue. I'm sure Nine News will have the result. :lol: :lol:

Interestingly, the Suncorp Stadium website has a tentative listing for the Qld Cup final in September on their calendar.

mud n blood

Juniors
Well bugger me ....

If they do set it for Lang Park, they automatically have a hook to hang their promotion on .... the return of "our" game to its traditional home.

chileman

Coach
mud n blood said:
gullsfan - wholeheartedly agree with your sentiments.

I suggested last year that the QRL and QRU work together and stage all three top grade grand finals from each comp on the one day, as plenty of people would hang around for both - the BRL Colts at 10:00am, BRL A grade at 11:45pm, entertainment/parade at 1:30pm, introduce teams at 1:50pm, Qld Cup at 2:00pm (television purposes), QRU Colts-1 at 4:30pm, QRU 2nd grade at 6:15pm, and QRU 1st grade at 8:00pm, maybe fireworks or some crap at 10:00pm.

Both gain. Share the gate of about 15,000 - share promotional costs (I'm sure the Govt sports mob would help here too)

Its not hard :|
Give mud and blood the job now, that's a fantastic idea and I reckon you'd see the place packed!

By the way, what is the actual day/date for the QRL GF this year, it's not on the qrl website :roll:

mud n blood

Juniors
As it's at Lang Park, we don't have to combine two codes. However, it's an opportunity to stage the grand finals for juniors there on the sunday as well, or even rep second divvy and junior matches if all the GF's are already played.

Seagullsrock

Juniors
My fellow seagulls fan, Mr Cap, has complained about the grand final not being at a neutral venue. Well, what if Toowoomba makes the grand final? Then techinically it won't be a neutral venue and would probaly favour Toowoomba.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
A ground that you play 4 out of 22 games at in a year is hardly a home ground. Clive Berghofer Stadium in Toowoomba is their main home ground with seven games this year. I would assume if they get a "home" semi that it will be played there.

There is no geographical or particular crowd advantage for Toowoomba at Lang Park compared to say Redcliffe at Dolphin or Wynnum at Kougari. I wouldn't think the place will be packed with Broncos supporters on GF day even if they make it. Most wouldn't know it's on.

It will be Burleigh v Easts anyway. :eek:

oxenham

Juniors
Mud
I am certain they played the under 18 grand final before the Cgrade at some stage.I can remember Norths losing one(Grauf Deeks and companies side)Timing would be difficult given the TV committment, perhaps it could be played later, but might be an anticlimax.Make it a weekend of football with all A finals played from U12 and one ticket covers all......hang the expense :roll:

XXXX Cap

Juniors
There were Under 18 Grand Finals before the C Grade from 1982 to 1984 from what I can find. Police Academy played in each of them against Wests, Easts and Wynnum.

There have also been various Minor League, Schools and Under 21 GF's played in the morning over the years.

Latest posts