What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finals - Round 1

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
I said all week that if the Roosters won we'd be gone.

I'd rather we get another game, but at the same time having seen the quality of football the other teams have produced I think it's a bit of a mercy killing.

Best to just work hard and prepare for 2011.

Bullsh*t

We would've been a much better chance against any of those 4 sides last night then we were against the Titans.

Had the draw gone any other way I would've been very confident about whoever we were playing last week.

It's a weak comp and we couldn't have been more unlucky with the way it panned out.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Just to put this in perspective, I'm not saying that we were going to win the comp or that we deserved to. Certainly not.

I still maintain we play turgid football and I wish we played differently (all the "wise after the event" criticism directed towards players who dare to pop an offload or try something that doesn't come off doesn't help either).

However, apart from the Dragons it's an ordinary comp this year and we can beat any of those teams.

We came up with 3 poor pieces of goalline defence on Friday night, which is a shame, but if it wasn't for sh*t refereeing we woudn't have been defending our goal line at all and the result could've been very different. And imo the Titans are the CLEAR 2nd best side in the comp.

Skinner

Coach
Bullsh*t

We would've been a much better chance against any of those 4 sides last night then we were against the Titans.

Had the draw gone any other way I would've been very confident about whoever we were playing last week.

It's a weak comp and we couldn't have been more unlucky with the way it panned out.

Bollocks, they would not have looked anywhere near those four teams last night.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Bollocks, they would not have looked anywhere near those four teams last night.

Oh please. Canberra v Penrith in particular, Penrith are very ordinary and they still almost got up. Without Waterhouse and Pritchard they are pretty close to a bunch of nuffies.

Tigers v Roosters was a thrilling finish, but it shouldn't be overlooked that the Roosters played about 5 minutes out of 100 and still managed to win. Both teams were too incompetent to set up a fieldgoal for 20 minutes and both sides also struggled with the fundamental skill of putting the ball down once you get over the line. The Tigers even forgot how to pick the ball up when you're leading with 30 seconds to go and your own scrum.

Plenty for the fans to cheer about but questionable quality, story of 2010. The Warriors with a favourable go from the refs are always capable of grinding out an ugly win.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Anyway, everyone knows what a close comp it is this year. To say the Warriors would be "nowhere near" the teams they have been neck and neck with all season is f*cking stupid. Almost as stupid as saying earlier in the year when the Warriors were in the 8 that they looked "nowhere near" a top 8 side. You're following an imaginary competition Skinner.

AuckMel

Bench
Well, the 20s just got screwed by the ref in a carbon copy of friday nights Rapira incident.

Skinner

Coach
Anyway, everyone knows what a close comp it is this year. To say the Warriors would be "nowhere near" the teams they have been neck and neck with all season is f*cking stupid. Almost as stupid as saying earlier in the year when the Warriors were in the 8 that they looked "nowhere near" a top 8 side. You're following an imaginary competition Skinner.

and what happened....they simply made up the numbers in the first week of the finals

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Haha it wasn't ike we were given a hiding by the Titans. We were in that game and really should have won it. And then unlucky that the Roosters ans Raiders got up. It's not like we finished 8th and got smoke by 40.

Iafeta

Referee
We didn't deserve to win, end of story. Two things. We were royally raped by Gavin Badger on Rapira's offside and the two strip calls. They were howlers and cost us a lot of points. We can be all PC and diplomatic, but at the end of the day they wee howlers and they hurt us big time. But it's life, it's two days on, and frankly I'm already excited about 2011.

Secondly, I do understand Manu's point. I feel we would still beat most of those sides. What happened on Friday night was we produced perhaps our worst performance since the Tigers demolition. Guys like Matulino who don't miss tackles and don't drop balls were doing it ad nauseum. I think the pressure got to them. I think if we had have lasted into next week we'd have got through to the following week as well.

The other part of it all is there are some teams who have seemingly limped into the finals. Penrith have played like dribblers for the past 2 months once teams figured out if you can keep out their kicking game they're fairly ordinary elsewhere. Wests Tigers only know one way - run to the sidelines. Never was that more evident than against the Roosters in extra time. One team played direct, the other team played like spastics. You can put a red line through those two, they're gooorrrnnee. Manly.. can't believe they somehow got across the line to get into the finals. There are only three teams IMO who can win it - Saints, Roosters and Titans. For mine, Roosters or Saints win. The other 13 teams are merely making up the numbers, and that's why I agree with Manu, that on any given day we could have beaten other teams. We just produced our worst performance since the middle of the year and we are done and dusted.

Overall, I'm bloody ecstatic with our performance this year. We weren't tipped to make the 8. We come 5th. We were tipped as a major contender for the spoon. We were nowhere near it. We were tipped to run down below and a lot of critics said for us to have any chance we needed a good run with injuries. We had one of the worst runs with injuries in club history. So what did that all bring us? A club championship. An U20s squad choc-full of talent. A genuine shot for them to collect a premiership. And probably 30-40 games experience for guys of our future who mightn't have got that game time in key situations except for the injuries. To a man, those blokes stood up. We had blokes like Lewis Brown and Ben Matulino and Russell Packer who became fairly consistent first graders, and they're only going to get better. We had blokes like Jerome Ropati who were on the cusp - their careers could go downhill or get back to good consistent levels, they to a man came back. Who would have thought if we had our first choice halfback, our premier prop, the back up prop, our premier back, let alone our new captain, all missing for big chunks of the season that we'd go as well as we did. 2010... wicked year.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Haha it wasn't ike we were given a hiding by the Titans. We were in that game and really should have won it. And then unlucky that the Roosters ans Raiders got up. It's not like we finished 8th and got smoke by 40.

I definitely give you your right to an opinion, but we should've won it? To me, apart from the first 10, we were far and away the 2nd best side on the park. I wouldn't put that down as one we let slip away - rather we were well below par across the board on the night.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
What I meant was that we played under what we had been, our worst game in while combined with some dodgy calls. If we had played how we had for a while and didn't cop those decisions we would have won I feel. I don't think the Titans were outstanding, but they got the job done I spose.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
The Titans won by 12 and the first 18 came off sh*t calls!

We won the first twenty and we won the second half. We lost a 20 minute passage of play where the Titans scored almost all of their points off the back of the refs. Poor defence, yes, but they wouldn't have even been done our end but for the refs.

How the f*ck can anyone say we weren't competitive. Self-loathing at its worst.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
The Titans won by 12 and the first 18 came off sh*t calls!

We won the first twenty and we won the second half. We lost a 20 minute passage of play where the Titans scored almost all of their points off the back of the refs. Poor defence, yes, but they wouldn't have even been down our end but for the refs.

How the f*ck can anyone say we weren't competitive. Self-loathing at its worst.

Were we second best? Yep, narrowly. But jeez, we've won games where we've been more off the pace than that. Reverse 1 or 2 calls and you're looking at a grandstand finish. I'm not even really that mad at the refs or anything, sh*t happens. But that's the point- sh* t does happen, no point pretending it didn't.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
I definitely give you your right to an opinion, but we should've won it? To me, apart from the first 10, we were far and away the 2nd best side on the park. I wouldn't put that down as one we let slip away - rather we were well below par across the board on the night.

?

Did you watch the second half? We scored two tries to one and had many more opportunities.

The winning and losing of the game was the last 20 of the first half. They scored 4 tries to 0 in that period of time.

The other 60 minutes we scored 3 tries to 1 and had most of the play.

JoeD

First Grade
I agree with Manu. We are just as good or better than 6 of the other 7 teams that made the 8. The fact that we aren't playing this weekend, considering the crazy sh*t that happened on Saturday night, is more about bad luck than bad management.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Penalty 2 – TITANS: Sam Rapira (Warriors) penalised for not square at marker. RESULT: TRY to William Zillman; converted by Scott Prince. 6 POINTS.

Penalty 3 – TITANS: Lance Hohaia (Warriors) penalised for second tackle. RESULT: Repeat set from goal-line drop-out. Next set TRY to Clinton Toopi; converted by Scott Prince. 6 POINTS

Penalty 4 – TITANS: Micheal Luck (Warriors) penalised for strip. RESULT: TRY to William Zillman; converted by Scott Prince. 6 POINTS

Penalty 5 – TITANS: Micheal Luck (Warriors) penalised for strip. RESULT: PENALTY GOAL Scott Prince. 2 POINTS

And that was the difference....

Rapira penalty wasn't a penalty, neither of the Luck penalties were penalties.

I can't remember the Hohaia one but that wasn't a try anyway as Atkins knocked on.