What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finals Week 2 Semi Final - Eels vs Rabbitohs: Saturday 10th October 7:50pm @Bankwest Stadium

Bennet says you played at 70% and the side only composed itself late in the first half.

I hope you didn’t miss some of the angles run tonight, they say that’s Dimetrious tricks. Players running in diagonals, sweeping in, careful not to obstruct. I saw it last week as well.

He said that he didn’t flog the players during the break to preserve their power. So from that we learn he adopts a long term approach in preparation. So that the intensity builds up to peak now instead of declining from perpetual physical pounding.

Then as he said, the personnel and style of play is different come finals time from the stock season. All the players are to buy in, squad wise for selection options based on form, and use in game throughout the season. Only a few sacred cows.

The benefit is that the opposition will never know what’s in store so quite hard to plan for.

The electric response to broken play is also planned, not the event obviously, but the back up.

Cooks last try was a planned attempt that paid off. He was always going to run it, then his step was timed to the exact second leading to fullback waste. The game was won by then, so you think it was a trick that was optional and evidence of the creative play. Cook is a good thinker, that’s how he scored as much as his physical prowess.

The panthers are the leading exponents of this type of game. They love the open play and youth, power, tenacity and speed means confidence in response.

Bennet says he hasn’t been following the panthers, but I think he’s trying it on a bit here.

Big motivation to get to take on one of the greatest teams in nrl history, no one can remember when they lost. A finely tuned side, built from ground up, whereas you have a lot of imported talent. Game of the year coming.

All hands on deck I’d say. Every player needs to lift at once. There is no tomorrow.

Cody needs to keep his hands bathed in glycerine all week. He will need his good hands ready v Panthers.
And you will need a bit of thug, he might try the spoiler game as we know a few of their players can lack discipline. At least 3 i think are vulnerable.

Make your own luck says Bennett. You will need it against a formidable Panthers outfit. Strong across the park, although their wingers can be suspect. Not much of a chink in the armour there!

Last edited:

Rabbits20

Immortal
WE DID IT WE DID IT WE DID IT WE DID IT!

WE MAY HAVE BEEN OUTNUMBERED BUT ONCE WE GOT A SNIFF YOU SHOULD HAVE SEEN OUR FAITHFUL!

WHAT AN EFFORT I AM LOST FOR WORDS!

PARRA CAME HARD WE HAD TO DIG SO SO DEEP WE HAD TO BEAT 18 MEN AND WE DID!

WOW WOW WOW!!!

TAKE A BOW BOYS TAKE A BOW THAT WAS GUTSY!

CAN YOU BELIEVE IT, WE ARE IN THE PRELIM GET IT UP YA ALL THOSE WHO WROTE US OFF STICK IT UP YOUR ARSES!

I BELIEVE WE CAN DO IT BUT DO THE BOYS? WE CAN SNIFF IT WE CAN SNIFF IT!

MY VOICE IS GONE!!!

Rabbits20

Immortal
WWWOOOOHHHHOOOOOOOO @callmack1 @BotanyBorn&Bred HOW GOOD WAS THAT WE HAD TO DIG THE DEEPEST I HAVE NEARLY EVER SEEN AGAINST A CRAZY PARRA CROWD WE HAD TO FIND SOMETHING FROM DEEP WITHIN OUR GUTS AND WE DID!

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS BRO!? WE ARE IN THE PRELIM WE ARE IN THE .... PRELIM!

yyyyeeeaaaahhhhhhhhh YYYEEEAAAAHHHHH!

I am not looking at the prelim yet we need to soak this all up!

I hope your saw our members going off tonight Callmack we all were!

callmack1

Staff member
Yeeeeehaaaaaa. What a performance and what a game!! I am so friggin happy right now, we're into yet another Preliminary Final!! Looked touch and go there for a little while but to the boys credit, they weren't phased, they regrouped and turned out an incredible second half to keep our Season alive and send us to a Prelim! So friggin happy right now!

Our attack certainly wasn't as electric tonight as it has been but it still wasn't bad. We didn't make many errors which allowed the forwards to march up the field and we scored some great tries as a result. I feel like the attack wasn't as good as previous weeks (like i said) but I think that was more due to the Eels edge defence doing a pretty good job.

Defence. Apart from the ten minute window where we kind of fell apart defensively, I was actually pretty happy with the defence over all. That period where Parra almost blew us away was really, really poor in defence as we were missing tackles and making really poor decisions. However, after we rode that period out, it was great and we managed to turn them away pretty much from then on with some awesome defensive sets. That was really pleasing.

Allan: Pretty good without being spectacular. Apart from the one drop, he was safe under the high ball and he chimed into our attack really well as he had some great runs. Also great play to assist Jaxson for his first try. The way Corey just held the pass to buy him a bit more time and space, it was a very classy play.

Johnston: Once again AJ was a bit more quiet this week but he wasn't bad at all. He had a few really good hit ups coming out of our own end but seemed to get either stopped in his tracks or driven back in many of his runs. I also didn't like how he was running sideways. However, his defence was very good, there was no way the Eels were scoring down his side.

Gagai: Similar to Graham in that he didn't do anything really special but was solid. Some really stong hit ups coming out of our own end to help out the forwards. Was pretty good in defence too (failed to get across to Gutherson for his first try but that wasn't really his fault.

Graham: Wasn't a spectacular game from Cammy but he was certainly solid and he didn't let anyone down. He did make a couple of defensive errors that lead to tries for parra but apart from that he was really good. Loved his contribution in Murray's try, that was all class.

Paulo: Awesome game from Jaxson. First of all, his hit ups. He looked really solid there and made plenty of charges coming out of our end, had a couple of line breaks thrown in there too. He did get exposed a little bit in defence but his two tries (one a nice finish in the corner, the other a great read to take the intercept and streak away, more then made up for it.

Walker: Parra did their absolute best against him which meant he wasn't quite as blistering as he has been recently but Cody was still very good. While he did get shut down more than he's been used to lately, he still looked dangerous everytime he touched the ball and was creating plenty out there. Was instrumental in steering the boys around and sparking our comeback. I liked his defence too.

Reynolds: Overall Reyno was pretty damn good. The only real blight on his game was the kick out on the full but he recoverd to produce a decent performance. Had the ball on a string with his kicking game for most of the night. We got a couple of key repeat sets off the back of some fantastic kicks dribbled into the in goal area with perfection which was very classy. I thought his punt and bomb kicking in general play was very good and allowed us to build pressure as he asked a few questions of Parra there. What I loved to see most was him taking it right to the line and even running on occasion. We saw his peak running game in the build up to Murray's try. That was great play from Reyno and you can basically put that try down to him.

Tatola: Junior was a bit quiet tonight compared with his lofty standards. That's not to say he played bad at all, he just didn't seem to make the impact he has in previous games.

Cook: Another incredible performance from Cookie, especially in the second half. All game he picked his times to run well but otherwise it was kept simple which suits Cook. His service all game was near perfect. In the end he picked up a try, two try assists (loved his assist for Knighty), ran for 158 meters, made three tackle breaks and 47 tackles. That's not to mention his blistering try at the end of the game. What an amazing try that was!! One of our best.

Burgess: See what I said about Tatola as their performances were pretty similar.

Su'A: Really good performance from Jaydn. He was a meanace out on that right edge as he just ran hard and ran aggressively all night. He certainly troubled the defenders out there today and had a big impact on the game. My heart was in my mouth when he went down injuered but thank god he was okay.

Sironen: Worked really hard all game and did his job in both attack and defence. Awesome instincts to not give up on the play when he scored and look what happened. It was an unlikely try but Bayley deserved it.

Murray: Great once again. Toiled away in the middle there in defence all game just cutting blokes in half and stopping them in their tracks, he's so good at that. His attack was awesome too, I lost count of how many times I said "good run Cam!" Often, those runs resulted in quick play-the-balls too. Loved his try, that was awesome support play.

Nicholls: Feel like I say the same every week but he just did his job to perfection. A very solid game, making meters on every ryun with strong carries and I'm not sure if I saw him miss a tackle at all tonight. Awesome stuff.

Knight: What a performance off the bench for Knight. His stint really changed the game and the momentum started to return with us once he came on. He ran very hard all game with great aggression. Was rewarded with a try too! That try was great awareness from Knighty to identify where the space was and it was a brilliant pass from Vookie.

Cartwright: Didn't get a lot of minutes but did his job that's for sure.

Koloamatangi: Another awesome game from young Keaon, he just kept charging all night. His runs and quick play-the-balls went a very long way to us wrestling back momentum.

So yea, I am so friggin proud of the boys! As I said, there was a period there where it looked a bit touch and go but we found the hunger and completely turned it around with an amazing second half performance. Full credit to the boys for that.

But not only that, we are off to another Prelim!! That's right, we're off the the Prelim!! Can't quite believe it to be honest. It's incredible, it really is. The year after we lose three of the greatest players ever we still make a Prelim! It's amazing, absolutely amazing!! I am just going to soak this all in and enjoy it. God I love this team!!

truthslayer

Juniors
I really have to vent here about the standard of the ref. It was not acceptable, Early with souths attacking Blatant offsides were ignored, Parramatta number 4 must have been wearing Harry Potters invisibility cloak as he was offside all night. Parra received restarts one on the 5th tackle, all restarts allowed them to gain strong field position. Well done boys however a few untidy plays that cannot happen next week , one game from a grand final how exciting. Corey Allan cannot lose the ball on the first tackle, Toms been good but a lose carry gave the ball back, Campbell Graham must fix his rush up defence. To get to one game for a grand final is an exceptional team effort. Now boys the next two games will need every player to stand up and make it their best game of the season.!Proud to support this great club.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
I really have to vent here about the standard of the ref. It was not acceptable, Early with souths attacking Blatant offsides were ignored, Parramatta number 4 must have been wearing Harry Potters invisibility cloak as he was offside all night. Parra received restarts one on the 5th tackle, all restarts allowed them to gain strong field position. Well done boys however a few untidy plays that cannot happen next week , one game from a grand final how exciting. Corey Allan cannot lose the ball on the first tackle, Toms been good but a lose carry gave the ball back, Campbell Graham must fix his rush up defence. To get to one game for a grand final is an exceptional team effort. Now boys the next two games will need every player to stand up and make it their best game of the season.!Proud to support this great club.
Agree with your points

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Bennet says you played at 70% and the side only composed itself late in the first half.

I hope you didn’t miss some of the angles run tonight, they say that’s Dimetrious tricks. Players running in diagonals, sweeping in, careful not to obstruct. I saw it last week as well.

He said that he didn’t flog the players during the break to preserve their power. So from that we learn he adopts a long term approach in preparation. So that the intensity builds up to peak now instead of declining from perpetual physical pounding.

Then as he said, the personnel and style of play is different come finals time from the stock season. All the players are to buy in, squad wise for selection options based on form, and use in game throughout the season. Only a few sacred cows.

The benefit is that the opposition will never know what’s in store so quite hard to plan for.

The electric response to broken play is also planned, not the event obviously, but the back up.

Cooks last try was a planned attempt that paid off. He was always going to run it, then his step was timed to the exact second leading to fullback waste. The game was won by then, so you think it was a trick that was optional and evidence of the creative play. Cook is a good thinker, that’s how he scored as much as his physical prowess.

The panthers are the leading exponents of this type of game. They love the open play and youth, power, tenacity and speed means confidence in response.

Bennet says he hasn’t been following the panthers, but I think he’s trying it on a bit here.

Big motivation to get to take on one of the greatest teams in nrl history, no one can remember when they lost. A finely tuned side, built from ground up, whereas you have a lot of imported talent. Game of the year coming.

All hands on deck I’d say. Every player needs to lift at once. There is no tomorrow.

Cody needs to keep his hands bathed in glycerine all week. He will need his good hands ready v Panthers.
And you will need a bit of thug, he might try the spoiler game as we know a few of their players can lack discipline. At least 3 i think are vulnerable.

Make your own luck says Bennett. You will need it against a formidable Panthers outfit. Strong across the park, although their wingers can be suspect. Not much of a chink in the armour there!
Re: angles run, credit to Parra's D on their right side, our left, they did a good job, and our execution wasn't as good as previous games. Gagai needed to shovel the ball out quicker a couple of times, and Cody could have looked to link up a bit more by switching over to the right side, but that Cook to Knight play for the try was classic angles play.

Penrith will be tough, I've underestimated them all year. Two great halves, like us.

NovoBunny94

Juniors
Re: angles run, credit to Parra's D on their right side, our left, they did a good job, and our execution wasn't as good as previous games. Gagai needed to shovel the ball out quicker a couple of times, and Cody could have looked to link up a bit more by switching over to the right side, but that Cook to Knight play for the try was classic angles play.

Penrith will be tough, I've underestimated them all year. Two great halves, like us.
No Kikau for the riff which is good.

callmack1

Staff member
Rabbitohs produce stunning second half to send Eels packing: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2...ce-stunning-second-half-to-send-eels-packing/

Semi Final Press Conference: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2020/10/10/press-conference-semi-final/

‘Hardly looked at them’ - Bennett makes shock Penrith confession ... but is it all mind games?: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/73fcd0a583c7d09be0df7af4e4db66f6

How Wayne Bennett’s 12-month tactical masterstroke left the Eels horribly exposed: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...l/news-story/8a8c6f4723dbdfc6ca3f04f5c05ad4dc

By The Numbers - Semi Final: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2020/10/10/by-the-numbers-semi-final/

Runaway Rabbitoh’s fine knock as Eels big guns made to rue clangers - Player Ratings: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...n/news-story/55d370f298bee733f6664f91482cc241

callmack1

Staff member

callmack1

Staff member
Watched the replay today and just want to add a few things I didn't mention in my post match report.

Firstly, it may just be me looking through Red and Green glasses but I thought the reffing was terrible. Seemed like we were being reffed out of the game at one stage. I'm not disputing a lot of the six agains we conceded, they were fair enough, it was the six agains that we didn't get which was bullshit. We'd conceed six agains for stuff but then Parra would do the same and we'd get nothing. Then there was the Corey Allan 'played at' call just before they scored the three tries in a row. There was no way Corey played at it, no way in hell! Thankfully it wasn't a call that cost us but it certainly did change the game. Yes, we should have challenged it but it should never have been called 'played at' in the first place.

Secondly, is Campball Graham. He did a lot right last night but his defence needs some work this week as I am a bit concerned about it. He's been so good in this area the whole year but it's fallen away a bit over the past few weeks. Three of Parra's four tries last night were caused because of poor reads from Graham so he certainly needs to sharpen that up this week. I'm not knocking Cammy here either, I love him and we all know what he brings, just a bit of constructive critisism.

Finally, the mental toughness of this team is incredible. It really is. There's the whole Sam Burgess scandal hanging over our heads which is a fairly big scandal but the boys haven't let it effect them one little bit in a Finals series. That shows serious mental toughness and I hope the scandal continues to have no effect on us in the Prelim. Not only that, but for two games in a row now we have slipped behind by double digits in pressure cooker Finals games but the boys haven't panicked at all and we've overcome it. That's serious mental toughness again.

I'm just so friggin proud of this team for getting to another Prelim! We lost three of the greatest players of all time in the same year last year, so many wrote us off and said our pack wasn't good enough, we've had plenty of injuries/suspensions, and at times this year, it looked like we might not even make the eight. But despite all of that, we're going to a Prelim and hopefully have a genuine shot at a Grand Final berth. So friggin proud of this team, I love this club and it is an absolute privilege to support this club. Let's hope the ride doesn't end here!!

Inkers75

Juniors
Whilst not being able to watch many NRL games is does seem to my untrained eye that there appears to be a lot more forward passes that go missed than in Super League.
One of the Eels tries yesterday looked like a certain forward pass but never got mentioned. Like I said it could just be my dodgy eyes!

Latest posts