What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finals Week 2 Semi Final - Rabbitohs vs Sea Eagles: Friday 20th September 7:50pm @ANZ Stadium

callmack1

Staff member
You’d think Robbo would have not made that insulting “ put 50” on them comment which Wayne has drilled into your side all week.

Walkers been ordinary since his failure at state of origin. He’s a real good guy and all that, but all that political stuff, right or wrong, has sunk deep into his psyche and he still looks very lost. Not the player he was and no signs of breaking out. I hope he gets over it.

I heard the comments about Darius Boyd and all the quiet signs from Wayne is that he’d love to bring him down and catch up with the other good broncos snared. That’s my smokie for the off season.

Besides you need a solid fullback.

I’d be mixing it up and playing cook off the bench and bring him in at half time. Get your massive forwards to hurt them for the first half and once they tire, Cook will have his evil way.

Gags is just not turning up this year, he is unlikely to do much. Sell him off.

Reynolds is elite, rarely has a bad game. It’s solid, good or outstanding.

Probably I think Roberts is the key to this game. He is lethal under the right conditions. That’s extraordinarily hard to predict or get right, but when he’s on, wow, he’s on.

They won’t for a moment be frightened of Manly per pound of flesh, they just need to back themselves.

I agree SuA should play. He just keeps getting better and better this bloke. Big things ahead if he can stay composed.

Wayne is obviously loving the bronco mayhem. He even backed their players on the queen of the Nile. A nice cheap shot we all enjoy.

$10 a spin is a serious punt though. Way too much fellas.

Can’t see Manly doing it.

callmack1

Staff member
It's finally that day, Game Day!! I can't wait! It's sudden-death footy, no more second chances, no more "there's always next week," you either do or you die. So tonight we simply must 'do.' This is the biggest game of the year so far!

Manly will well and truely be up for this. They'll want to continue their run and despite having a few players out, will be confident after last week. Having Taupau back will be a big boost for them. For that reason, we absolutely need to be on. You don't need me to tell you that we need to be a lot better. We saw last week that starts to games are very important so we must come out full of energy, hunger and passion then keep that up for 80 minutes. We really need to win the forward battle tonight and having our inspirational leader back will help that. If we win that battle and stop Taupau, Fonua-Blake and Jake Turbo then it will go a long way to being able to shut down Cherry-Evans and the rest of the Sea Eagles dangerous backs. Plus, it will hopefully allow the likes of Cook, Cody and Jimmy a bit of space for us and the attack can flow off the back of that. So yea that's the key for me but it's easier said than done.

Having Tatola's 50th game will hopefully motivate the boys and I can't believe no one has really mentioned it but every game from now on could be Sutto's last ever game aswell as George's last game in the Red and Green. I hope the boys always have Sutto at the back of their minds.

We can do this!! I know we can!! Manly will be very, very tough but I know we can do it!!

Travitoh

First Grade
I'm hoping Sam is moved to the middle before kickoff. It's where the game will be won or lost and letting a frustrated Sam loose against Taupau and AFB could really rattle Manly.
Sua is more than capable on an edge and Sam will have more influence tonight playing in the middle imo.

callmack1

Staff member

Mr Spock!

Referee
Hoping Gagai and Reynolds learn to tackle this week before they play the Raiders.

We looked very fragile near the line.

Travitoh

First Grade
I like that the players didn't seem to over-celebrate the win. It's only 1 win of the 3 required.

Strange game but a win is a win.

Manly were a rabble at the backend, couldn’t handle your effort. Even dce merkined out with that drop out.

Good to see Sutton get over.

Des whining on the press conference playing the victim. Annesly told him to f-off after the game when he complained to him. Doh!

callmack1

Staff member
Wow, wow, wow!! I don't even know where to begin to start explaining that oh my god. What a win!! That was a rollercoaster, a yo-yo, a washine machine of a game and to be honest, I can't believe we won!! it wasn't the greatest performance from us by any means and for most of the game I had this feeling of dread that Manly would overcome us in the end. But to the boys credit, it was us that overcame them. I honestly don't know how we did it as we looked down and out with fifteen to go, it was looking dire. Add to that the fact that we only had one player left on the bench and the reshuffle we had to do, that is a gutsy win, a seriously gutsy win. The boys just never gave up and just always believed!!

Attack was okay tonight I thought. We really struggled for meters early on in the game coming out of our own end but the attack certainly looked slick when we did end up getting down their end. Geez we scored two lovely tries there early. AJ's one was paticularly impressive, that was a brilliant move. Cody's try was also great to watch, as was Murray's. Like I said though, the forwards seemed to really struggle for meters in that first half due to Manly being so aggressive and we made errors at crucial times during sets after points. You simply can't afford to do that and we paid for it as almost all their tries was off the back of an error from us which isn't good enough. However, the boys seemed to be better in the second half and they sort of found their groove as the forwards seemed to find another gear. This saw us roll up the field much easier than before in a really good sign. There was still a few errors but they weren't at that crucial spot. Then, despite all the disruptions we had to the backline, we were still able to make inroads and score two wonderful tries to seal the match. So yea, attack could certainly be better but it wasn't bad.

On the other hand, defence was absolutlely shocking. I'll start with talikng about general play because that was where we were losing out. In the first half especially, the boys just seemed a little flat and weren't physical enough at all. For some reason, the lads just struggled to put their bodies in from of the ball runner and we failed to wrap up the ball many times. This hurt us as they had a real roll on for much of that first half due to our poor ruck defence but thankfully, we were able to fix it in the second half but the conrol of the ruck in the first half was simply not good enough. Then there was the defence on the line which was just as horrendus. Honestly, just about every try Manly scored tonight was due to our poor defence and some of those conceded tries were simply way too easy. Defence both on the line and around the ruck has to improve a whole lot for next week or we'll get rolled.

Doueihi: I thought Adam was brilliant tonight, he was really good. He ran the ball hard on hit ups/kick returns and he had pretty good field position, particularly defending Cherry-Evans' grubber kicks. He read them beautifully and I love the way he was bursting onto the ball which saw him get a couple of brilliant line breaks. The only negative I could see in his game was when he let that ball go for a 40/20. A real shame that he had to go off for an HIA but hopefully he'll be okay.

Johnston: AJ wasn't bad, he did a solid job. Had a fair few runs and they were all good, he didn't get dragged back and ran nice and hard. I used to feel that he was afraid of contact but i don't have that feel now. He also had decent positional play and it was a beautiful finish for his try, he still had a fair bit of work to do but found the line which was awesome.

Gagai: I'm going to be harsh but I think we can all agree he deserves it bacause that was hands down the worst I've ever seen him play. Plenty of errors and he didn't get involved enough for mine. Then there was his defence which was just shocking. He couldn't contain Suli at all as he came up with arm grabs for most of the day which was just so friggin weak. His defence let them back into the game. That's simply not good enough for a rep centre, honestly it was a shocking game from him.

Roberts: Pretty quiet to be fair. He had some decent runs and was able to generate a quick play-the-ball more often than not but I just feel that he was just not involved enough. I really don't understand why we don't use him more.

Graham: A solid game from him and I don't think he did too much wrong. Was safe under the high ball, good defensively and the hit ups he took were strong with often a wave of Sea Eagles coming at him. Got shuffled around and still held his own.

Walker: A mixed game for Cody I feel. He showed some great signs and did some lovely things like the lead up play for AJ's try and the beautiful whole he ran for his try. Then there were a few nice touches along the way too as well as a good short kicking game into that left corner. However, I feel that his game was mixed because I reckon he still drifted in and out of it. There were twenty minute periods throughout the game where he was barely involved and we need more than that from him.

Reynolds: Had a very off night you don't need me to tell you that. He just didn't seem to be all there for one reason or another. He looked a little slow in attack and on set piece shifts but it was his defence that was most concerning and it almost lost us the game to be honest. He just one was a poor read in defence which was still very poor but the other miss was probably worse because he just wouldn't get his body in front and it was all arm grabbing. There were a few instances where the Sea Eagles went straight through off his left or right shoulder. Normally he is a good defender and really puts his body on the line but that just wasn't there tonight. I must say though, his kicking game was insanely good, That last kick he did at the end to force a line drop out and win us the game was outstanding.

T.Burgess: Tom was pretty solid tonight. His match fitness is improving and it showed in this game. I thought he went through the motions a bit in his first stint but even then he was solid, however, his second stint really lifted the intensity and he was immense with some really barnstorming runs which bent the line each time.

Cook: Limited opportunities in this game but still did pretty well. Did a nice job of bringing the forwards onto the ball, particularly in that second half, was busy in defence as always and set up Cam's first try perfectly. Manly did a pretty good job of shutting him down. I still feel we need more from Cook.

Knight: Was good, probably one of our best forwards. He played big minutes and had a very high work rate. All his runs were aggressive and he just kept putting his hand up all night. Pretty good defensively too.

Sutton: A nice, solid game from Sutto. He was a little quiet early on but warmed to the task and became more prominant. He then went on to make a good contribution with his strong running game and his footy smarts. That try he scored was incredible, I loved every moment of it!!

S.Burgess: Made a successful return I reckon. You could see he was a bit angry as there was just that extra little bit of 'oompf' to his game. He did everything in that game at 100 miles an hour in both attack and defence. His runs were all very powerful and I quite like him running off Reyno back on that angle towards the centre of the field. Sam was putting in some good shots in defence too. A successful return.

Murray: Wow, what a game yet again from Cam! He was honestly in everything! Was doing a fantastic job through the middle with very strong runs and fast play-the-balls which built a little momentum. He just didn't stop all game, he was into everything and that didn't stop on. Murray's first try was a brilliant hole run by him and hen it was amazing to see him get another in what turned out to be the match winner, that was special. What a game from him.

G.Burgess: I actually though George looked good in his stint. He came out with a bit of a fire in his belly as his first few hit ups were done at full speed and they certainly rocked Manly's defensive line. Plus, he was hitting and sticking in defence. However, he obviously can't play long minutes which lessons his impact.

Nicholls: I feel like I say the same thing about Mark every week but there's not too much to talk about, he did his job.

Tatola: Was good off the bench, he came on and provided some real impact. The pack was looking a bit flat befor he came on and Junior certainly lifted them with his aggressive running.

Lowe: Same as Nicholls, he just did his job.

So all in all, I'm buzzing right now!!! We're into the Prelim!!! How good is that?! Anything is possible from here but we gonna have to be A LOT better than we were tonight.

Last edited:

callmack1

Staff member

Mr Spock!

Referee
I thought George was much better.

Forwards look much better when they put a step on like they did a couple of times later in the game.