What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Financial Incentive To Relocate A Sydney Team

Steel Saints

Juniors
I don't think fans of a new expansion team would want a relocated Sydney club. If anything, the fun and games of relocating Sydney clubs should've occurred 25 years ago.

Imagine if a club like Penrith got relocated? 😲

In the NRL era, they have produced so many players and have won 4 premierships. How silly would that have been?

cinders7

Juniors
I don't think fans of a new expansion team would want a relocated Sydney club. If anything, the fun and games of relocating Sydney clubs should've occurred 25 years ago.

Imagine if a club like Penrith got relocated? 😲

In the NRL era, they have produced so many players and have won 4 premierships. How silly would that have been?
Agree that the Sydney clubs have no incentive to relocate now. The game has spent the last 20-30 years propping them up at the expense of everything else.

However that hypothetical is faulty; there are nine clubs in Sydney... Cleary & co would've come through under Parra or any of the other suburban clubs within easy driving distance.

Now ask yourself how many Cleary-like players we've missed out on by not having clubs/pathways in cities with millions of people (Perth/Adelaide) or regions that only have a tiny number of professional spots and kids have been passed over or given up (SEQ/NZ).

Steel Saints

Juniors
Agree that the Sydney clubs have no incentive to relocate now. The game has spent the last 20-30 years propping them up at the expense of everything else.

However that hypothetical is faulty; there are nine clubs in Sydney... Cleary & co would've come through under Parra or any of the other suburban clubs within easy driving distance.

Now ask yourself how many Cleary-like players we've missed out on by not having clubs/pathways in cities with millions of people (Perth/Adelaide) or regions that only have a tiny number of professional spots and kids have been passed over or given up (SEQ/NZ).

With regards to Perth/Adelaide, you only have to look at the Melbourne Storm. They have only produced a handful or less than a handful of juniors over the last 26 years. Perth may have developed a few more, while with Adelaide, the code would be lucky if one or two came through.

There should've been a second Brisbane team in the last 30 years, not the last couple of years. The NRL did miss out on alot players. With NZ 2, that is a question mark. Should they have come in earlier, and how would it impacted on the Warriors?

But for the overall bigger picture, the code missed out big time when it was part owned by a media company for 15 years. NRL missed out on millions of tv revenue because in rights negotiations, it was negotiating with itself.

For 15 years, News was making money, while the code was sitting still. If only the game was independent right throughout. Maybe more players would've come through to fill 20 teams. But we will never know.

Yes I agree. I read recently that there are now 5000 players in the various Victorian rugby league competitions. Although this number is small, it is growth and will hopefully keep growing. Without the Melbourne Storm, I doubt they would have ever reached this figure.

Adelaide and Perth only have 2 AFL clubs and 1 A-League team each. Perth also has 1 Professional rugby union team. These are huge untapped markets.

But for the overall bigger picture, the code missed out big time when it was part owned by a media company for 15 years. NRL missed out on millions of tv revenue because in rights negotiations, it was negotiating with itself.

For 15 years, News was making money, while the code was sitting still. If only the game was independent right throughout. Maybe more players would've come through to fill 20 teams. But we will never know.
I agree with these points and thankfully the NRL is in the best position that it has been in for a long time. I don't think we should give up on expanding to NZ2, Perth and Adelaide as I think in the long run, it will bring more money into the game.

flippikat

Bench
I agree with these points and thankfully the NRL is in the best position that it has been in for a long time. I don't think we should give up on expanding to NZ2, Perth and Adelaide as I think in the long run, it will bring more money into the game.
Bringing that statement back to relocation, if ONE EXISTING Sydney team was to be relocated to NZ or Adelaide or Perth or Brisbane (say, Western Corridor) - then the other 3 from that list could be expansion teams 18, 19 and 20.

Then we'd have a competition with 3 Brisbane teams, 2 NZ teams, North Queensland, Gold Coast, Canberra, a heap of Sydney teams, plus a team each in Melbourne, Adelaide & Perth - all done with a 20-team competition.

Pippen94

First Grade
Bringing that statement back to relocation, if ONE EXISTING Sydney team was to be relocated to NZ or Adelaide or Perth or Brisbane (say, Western Corridor) - then the other 3 from that list could be expansion teams 18, 19 and 20.

Then we'd have a competition with 3 Brisbane teams, 2 NZ teams, North Queensland, Gold Coast, Canberra, a heap of Sydney teams, plus a team each in Melbourne, Adelaide & Perth - all done with a 20-team competition.

Newtown jets can merge with Ipswich jets

blue bags

First Grade
What makes you think that?

Just curious as to your reasoning those two teams could be in that position, given how generous the NRL grant is.
For business reasons
Growth. And small area's They occupy
Most likely relocation would guarantee their future

flippikat

Bench
Sharks should either relocate to Perth or Adelaide playing an annual “home game” at shark park.
Sharks to Adelaide (Adelaide Sharks)

Team 18 - Add Perth (Whether that's Pirates or the much lauded joint-venture with Bears)

Team 19 - Add NZ 2 (Open up to bids, choose the best business case)

Team 20 - Add another Queensland team. Open it up to bids from anywhere in Queensland - from Ipswich to East Brisbane Tigers to Central Queensland... and choose the one with most compelling business case.

Bukowski

Bench

Team 18 - Add Perth (Whether that's Pirates or the much lauded joint-venture with Bears)

Team 20 - Add another Queensland team. Open it up to bids from anywhere in Queensland - from Ipswich to East Brisbane Tigers to Central Queensland... and choose the one with most compelling business case.
Theres a lot to like about that

Brian potter

First Grade

This scenario would make me cream my shorts!!!

would make the NRL a true national competition and set it up nicely for the next couple of decades.

flippikat

Bench
Theres a lot to like about that
It delivers a 20 team competition that's set for some time to come.

Any change to that footprint would just be relocation of other Sydney teams after the successful move of the Sharks.

While the NRL wouldn't need to FORCE the issue after the footprint I described is in place, they can still be open to it if any club in Sydney hits the wall. NZ 3 would probably be the ideal relocation in that case.