What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Firing Up

ebbedfred

Bench
http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...cylinders-for-finals/1921061.aspx?storypage=0

Dragons firing on all cylinders for finals

BY TIM BARROW
24 Aug, 2010 04:00 AM
St George Illawarra high performance manager Jeremy Hickmans is adamant the Dragons finals preparation has been timed to perfection despite the loss to bogey-side Canberra.
An overcooked training schedule was identified by Hickmans and coach Wayne Bennett as part of the problem for last year's shattering late season slump.
And there was a wave of concern among the hardened Dragons faithful yesterday after Bennett conceded they were "off the pace" in Sunday's 32-16 loss to the Raiders at Canberra Stadium.

However, Hickmans claimed the squad was still on course to be physically ready for a tilt at this year's title.
"Absolutely," he said. "We looked after them more at the start of the year and we've backed off (training workloads) a little bit when they've needed it.
"Pretty much as a squad we've started to ramp it up again over the last couple of weeks, so everything is looking good."
Hickmans said the contingent of State of Origin players were returning to peak physical condition after the hectic representative schedule.
NSW second-rower Ben Creagh has been in outstanding form in the six weeks before Sunday's loss, while prop Michael Weyman has been imposing since returning from a month-long suspension.
Hickmans yesterday revealed Dragons forwards Jeremy Smith and Beau Scott would have taken the field against Canberra if St George Illawarra's season was on the line.
Smith, who has battled injury during his two years in Wollongong, suffered an aggravation of the calf injury and was rested for Sunday's stunning 32-16 loss to the Raiders.
Scott had been rested after a heavy playing schedule this year that has included 17 NRL games and three State of Origin appearances for NSW.
"We're in a position where we can afford to rest them," Hickmans said. "Both players could have played if they absolutely needed to, but there are little things they've carried for a few weeks.
"Smith had an injury related to the same sort of [calf injury] he suffered earlier in the season, but by no means to the same extent.
"We didn't think it was worth risking and him be out for another six weeks if he hurt it again.
"With Beau it was more a case of general soreness."
Smith, who will join the Sharks next year, has managed just 26 of a possible 49 games since he came the Dragons from Melbourne at the start of 2009 because of continual injury problems.
Scott started the season in the centres and was chosen for NSW because of his bruising defence, but was moved into the second row to accommodate the comeback of former St George Illawarra captain Mark Gasnier.
Hickmans said he expected both players to be available for Saturday night's showdown with Newcastle at EnergyAustralia Stadium.
Utility Nick Emmett and prop Ricky Thorby are expected to make way for the pair when the team is named today.
Prop Neville Costigan is available to play in Saturday night's clash with Newcastle after only being charged with a grade one careless high tackle on Canberra lock Trevor Thurling. Costigan is expected to take the early guilty plea and escape suspension

Ulysseus

Bench
rest Costigan, although they probably wont aim up against him due to if they break it they are breaking their top buy for next year.

Divine

Bench
I nearly choked on my coke when I heard Andrew Johns fire up on MMM last night...he reckons the Knights will toss our salad !! It's time!

ebbedfred

Bench
I nearly choked on my coke when I heard Andrew Johns fire up on MMM last night...he reckons the Knights will toss our salad !! It's time!

Joey's footy tipping skills this year are about as good as Phil Rothfield's from the telecrap.

If Joey is picking the Knights we'll be dead set certainties.

Last edited:

YEHHHBOYYYD

Juniors
The knights have no idea whats coming to them.

I don't think any of us really expected a win against the Raiders...

We rarely lose 2 games in a row

Go u Saints!

Zoggy

Juniors
yep. Lets not take the Knights lightly, they are also playing for their season.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
As soon as I heard Smith and Scott were out of the game I knew the Canberra game would be a training run for the boys. Apart from those 12 minutes the Saints were on top. They will up the intensity this week and probably drop off again next week because if they win on SUnday the Minor premiership will be sewn up and win or lose againts souths won't make a difference. Only thing that can is injuries so they will rest a layer or 2 again.

I personally think they should rest Boyd. He was in red hot form and is now looking like he may need a rest.

Latest posts