What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Fiji, now Lebanon

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Something about the sport and it's culture is toxic.
Something about the people it attracts in powerful positions makes it continually shoot itself in the foot.
It doesn't matter what country, or how much money is involved, seemingly. Incompetence and infighting reign supreme all the way from Lebanon to Australia.

Problem is too many dumb Australian ex players who have no understanding of rugby league around the world ie. it is poor/amateur virtually, yet they think they should be paid money that they are use to in Australia.

Basically ignorant.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Well thats certainly changed things hasn't, watch out, here comes rugby league!

The games goal is to get into the com games and ultimately the Olympics in the nines format, this will unlock funding from governments in countries around the world.

Unfortunately it needs the support of the NRL and all it's clubs to happen........

deluded pom?

Coach
Problem is too many dumb Australian ex players who have no understanding of rugby league around the world ie. it is poor/amateur virtually, yet they think they should be paid money that they are use to in Australia.

Basically ignorant.
Yep. Fittler is probably worth more than the RLEF members put together barring England.

langpark

First Grade

Basically ignorant.
Exactly. This is a real shame. These players who are now 'boycotting', other than that one month in WC camp, have probably had sweet FA involvement in developing RL in Lebanon. They are now coming in and trying to remove those that have been building it for the last 18 years.

I've had a look at few of the Lebanese clubs' FB pages, there seems to be absolutely no sign of unrest. So this is really a strange one. I hope individual players step and come forward with some solid evidence. If they don't, then they should STFU.

deluded pom?

Coach
Exactly. This is a real shame. These players who are now 'boycotting', other than that one month in WC camp, have probably had sweet FA involvement in developing RL in Lebanon. They are now coming in and trying to remove those that have been building it for the last 18 years.

I've had a look at few of the Lebanese clubs' FB pages, there seems to be absolutely no sign of unrest. So this is really a strange one. I hope individual players step and come forward with some solid evidence. If they don't, then they should STFU.
Totally agree.

latingringo101

Juniors
SOMETIMES, in conducting interviews, it’s worth asking the same question twice.

Mohamed Habbous is the president of the Lebanese Rugby League Federation who is not standing for re-election.

There’s a lot happening in Lebanese rugby league right now – and not a lot of it seems to be good.

It made sense to start off by asking Mohamed for the reasons behind this decision not to seek re-election. But consider this: over the past year we’ve had a threatened player boycott, a threatened club rebellion and an official banned from the sport indefinitely over serious irregularities regarding funds.

It’s hard to imagine the 39-year-old business consultant’s decision to walk away from the sport would not be linked to these things in some way.

“I recently moved to Cyprus with my family,” Mo says from Cyprus when I ask him the question the first time.

“It (the presidency) is more like an honorary position. There’s no pay. It’s all done purely out of love for the sport.

“The last couple of years were very difficult for us as a federation. We went through a lot of ups and downs, trying to get through these World Cup qualifiers. The World Cup was supposed to be the big moment for us, where we arrive on the world stage and we’re able to push on afterwards.

“I just wasn’t enjoying it anymore. I spoke to my wife and I spoke to close friends. After the World Cup, I’m done. I just don’t have the time anymore and I don’t have the passion I used to have or the drive that I used to have.

“It’s become a lot more difficult and less fun.”

So what is the truth about the so-called player boycott, threatened in a letter from “player representatives” Chris Saab and Michael Hedwan in March?

“There are some players who’ve voiced their opinion about not wanting to play,” Habbous admits. “It’s not all the players. We could still field a strong side if we wanted to for any international event.

“But there are some players … they just state a loss of trust in the board and the management but they don’t say why. They don’t give any reasons, there have been no official complaints.

“So it’s come out of the blue and you don’t understand the reason for it unless you dig a little deeper and you see who’s behind this movement.

“And you see there are individuals there who are there for their own personal gains and they’re trying to, with the success we’ve had on the world stage for rugby league, pull a takeover of the federation from Sydney.”

Mo admits the game in Lebanon isn’t in the best shape it’s ever been, that some of the clubs aren’t even legal entities under Lebanese law.

“It was our big plan after the World Cup, to be able to launch this reform. As a federation, we’re not very financially blessed, if you win.
“But after this World Cup, we started getting the support. We had sponsors from Australia who wanted to support the development of the sport in Lebanon. Even the Sports Ministry recognised what we’ve done for the country and they started to give some support to the whole thing.

“This whole issue … I don’t see how they could not trust the management or the board when for 17 years this board has been carrying debt and working tirelessly, even funding things out of their own pockets, going to meetings and doing things without any remuneration, just for the love of the sport and to keep this going.

“If people don’t trust people who are doing that for 17 years, then they have a very weird concept of the word ‘trust’.”

Will the gazetted Test against Fiji at Campbelltown Stadium on June 23 take place? It has been removed from the official ticket sales page….

“This is something we’re in discussions about with the NRL,” Mohamed answers. “I can’t really say more on that at the moment. They’re supportive of us and the International Federation has also been extremely supportive of LRLF.

“We don’t have a national coach at the moment. We were in discussions with a national coach (rumours have it that Michael Maguire was the man) and these events have caused him to have second thoughts.

“That was big blow to us. For anybody who claims they love rugby league, anyone who claims they’re not in for themselves … well, these people have brought shame on themselves because what they’ve done is tarnish the reputation on not only Lebanon and Lebanese people but they’ve tarnished this very well-regarded entity with baseless allegations, allegations of nothing.

“Surely if you have a grievance, you approach the person you have a grievance with in a private manner…

“The intentions were not there to have a constructive conversation. It was intended to disrupt and that’s what happened.”

OK, a “League Of Clubs” has been launched in Lebanon with a flashy promo video. Is this a breakaway?

“That’s nothing,” he insists. “That’s just some clubs doing their own activities which is absolutely fine. We actually encourage the clubs, that’s part of the bylaws, to have their own activities.

“The CEO of the League has attempted many times to get the clubs to do the paperwork for the ministries. He’s sent emails, he’s actually been with the stakeholders of those clubs to the ministries.

Rugby League World Cup Amazon

The Rugby League World Cup: The Illustrated History of Rugby's Oldest Global Tournament

“You cannot blame somebody and then not accept responsibility yourself.

“And some of these clubs are not legal.

“(A breakaway) cannot happen. Legally, it cannot happen. The only body that can sanction any type of rugby league activities is LRLF.”

The banning of women’s development officer Ghassan Dandach for withholding funds accrued following an international is another drama Mo didn’t need.

“It goes back to people who cannot accept responsibility and instead blame others for their actions. This is a big problem in our society.”

Another problem – and it happens with many newer rugby league playing countries – is the constant power struggle between Australian-based officials and players and the administration based in that country.

“It’s very clear: the power of Lebanese rugby league always will be and always must be in Lebanon.

“That’s non-negotiable. There’s no governing body other than the official body from the country itself.

“Rugby league is such a big sport in Australia and the Lebanese community there is very passionate about it.

“Every time there’s a little bit of success, people want to hijack … they want to get involved and if they’re not allowed to be involved, they will try to get involved by any means necessary.

“We’ve had this power struggle over the years. We’ve been able to resist.”

I actually didn’t have to ask the first question again because Mo finished up by saying this.

“Not only am I not planning to stand for president but I am not going to be involved in rugby league.

“And the biggest reason is because of this constant struggle with people who don’t understand or don’t want to understand and they try to use any means necessary, whether it’s the truth or not the truth, to get the upper hand.

“What was meant to be the most pleasurable experience in your life after working for 17 years out of passion and love for the sport … to not enjoy the World Cup, to not enjoy the success of it afterwards…

“It was just too much.”

Coastbloke

Bench
I wonder if it's worth the LRLF trying to access public and business funding from Australia by advertising for support in Lebanese media in Australia as well as continuing to attempt increase support in Lebanese (as in Lebanon) media and business..

latingringo101

Juniors
I wonder if it's worth the LRLF trying to access public and business funding from Australia by advertising for support in Lebanese media in Australia as well as continuing to attempt increase support in Lebanese (as in Lebanon) media and business..
They reached out to the Australian-Lebanese community big time in Oz for the WC. I work in Bankstown (big Lebanese community) and all through the local papers and Lebanese-Australian papers were promoting the team left right and centre. They even got to meet the Ambassador of Lebanon on Canberra when they played against France in their first pool match.

I don't know how much more promotion could have been done for the sport using Lebanese expats

These problems that have occurred after the world cup are really worrying however, on one side the President has stood down claiming Australian based players and Lebanese clubs have "revolted" against a board which has done everything correctly and professionally since 2000. On the other hand those individuals are claiming the Lebanese RL are holding the game back and there is a need for change.

I think the RLIF needs to look into it and find out what exactly is going on.