What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Grade Experience 2005

Juniors
We all know we are losing some players with alot of first grade experience next season and I thought I would have a closer look at it. The players that are remaining next season that are with us this season average 62 first grade games. But the players that are leaving or look like leaving average double that with 127 games.

Here are the stats:

2004 Squad

Shane Elford 89
Robbie Farah 7
Daniel Fitzhenry 51
Liam Fulton 3
Ben Galea 79
Bryce Gibbs 16
Dene Halatau 28
Bronson Harrison 10
Brett Hodgson 143
Anthony Laffranchi 52
Jeff Lima 2
Benji Marshall 11
Mark O'Neill 204
Chris Paterson 24
Todd Payten 122
Scott Prince 99
Ben Reynolds 20
Pat Richards 45
John Skandalis 177
John Wilson 55

Total Games- 1237

Average games per player- 62

Confirmed Losses/Likely Losses

Michael Buettner 261
Luke Covell 21
Nick Graham 145
Chris Heighington 15
Robert Mears 121
Robert Miles 133
Jason Moodie 142
Scott Sattler 200
Darren Senter 223
Gray Viane 9

Total Games- 1270

Average games per player- 127

Now our new signings don't have much experience:

Paul Whaturia (Penrith) 67
Mark Meredith (Souths) 5
Tim McGann (rugby) 0
Jarrod Saffy (rugby) 0
Nick Kouparitsas (raiders) 0

Total Games- 72

Average games- 14

We are going to need the likes of Galea, O'Neill, Prince, Hodgson, Skandalis, Payten to really step up and lead the younger guys next year.[/b]

ozcrusader

Bench
No, next year will - provided Marshall is fit.

These olders guys are moving on just at the right time - Prince, Hodgson, Galea and Skando have all be around for some time now and they will step up.

We will have an experienced campaigner in O'Neill - but more importantly, we will have our young guns - Harrison, Halatau, Fitzy, Marshall and Laffranchi playing regular first grade footy.

It all depends on prince and marshall being fit and on the field together.

Just imagine how dangerous we would be if we played like we did last week and we had Marshall in the team.

westie

Bench
goangod said:
No, next year will - provided Marshall is fit.

These olders guys are moving on just at the right time - Prince, Hodgson, Galea and Skando have all be around for some time now and they will step up.

We will have an experienced campaigner in O'Neill - but more importantly, we will have our young guns - Harrison, Halatau, Fitzy, Marshall and Laffranchi playing regular first grade footy.

It all depends on prince and marshall being fit and on the field together.

Just imagine how dangerous we would be if we played like we did last week and we had Marshall in the team.

Marshall's option taking is very erratic and often disatrous (bulldogs intercept) and his defense is less than disirable (virtually lost us the game against storm). At the moment his is still an unknown quantity with MANY faults in his game.

Tigerpete

Juniors
Yeah its an interesting issue this one and one thats really hard to guage how we'll do next year. Yes we do lose a lot of experience next season and that will hurt us no doubts. But its obvious that more so than this season, young players such as Harrison, Gibbs, Fulton and Marshall are going to have to come on and make the impact that guys like Halatau have this season.

Ultimately i think it will all come down to how well these younger guys respond to having that little bit more pressure on them.

ozcrusader

Bench
westie said:
Marshall's option taking is very erratic and often disatrous (bulldogs intercept) and his defense is less than disirable (virtually lost us the game against storm). At the moment his is still an unknown quantity with MANY faults in his game.

LOL.

Marshall has played about 10 first grade games.

So he has cost us one or two tries - how many has he setup? I can think of at least 3 from memory.

Marshall has quality stamped all over him. He is more dangerous with the ball in his hands than all the other players in this club put together.

We need him fit, and we need him playing.

It is absolutely no coincidence that we were riding high when he was at 5/8th and then crashed out when he was injured.

Nitekrwlr

Juniors
It was no coincidence we played our best football when he was around.

Don't diss the D...he held his own plenty of times

westie

Bench
goangod said:
westie said:

LOL.

Marshall has played about 10 first grade games.

So he has cost us one or two tries - how many has he setup? I can think of at least 3 from memory.

Marshall has quality stamped all over him. He is more dangerous with the ball in his hands than all the other players in this club put together.

We need him fit, and we need him playing.

It is absolutely no coincidence that we were riding high when he was at 5/8th and then crashed out when he was injured.

I'm not saying he is not a quality player, but he has cost us games this season, and we wern't exactly scoring a motza when he was in the team.

Mighty Tiger

Bench
Marshall to be honest is over rated - sure he has potential to die for but he hasn't reached it yet and I think alot of us are jumping the gun abit.

I think the biggest area of concern is Hooker, with no one really expereinced enough to lead the way like Dazza does for us during the start of the game.

Sure we have some good options to replace both Dazza and Mears but those options lack some much needed top grade expereince in that position - I have no doubts that they can prove me wrong but I just think this is the area that will prove to be our weakest next year!

Backs, Halves, Back Rowers and Props I think for once we will be very well stocked in those areas its just the Dummy half area that concerns me.

Mighty Tiger

Bench
HOT028 said:
MIGHTY was everything alright with the baby, what is the tube for?

Yeah champ everything is going great guns he needed the tube for feeds like they all do at that age ;-)

But he is a bit young to be called on for First grade though :?

He might be able to play as a centre or 5/8th in the under 6mth old comp as we speak ;-)

HOT028

Juniors
good to hear, i hate seeing bad stuff with kids it really makes you look at your own and wonder how lucky you are.

Wrighty79

Juniors
Mighty Tiger said:
Marshall to be honest is over rated - sure he has potential to die for but he hasn't reached it yet and I think alot of us are jumping the gun abit.

I think the biggest area of concern is Hooker, with no one really expereinced enough to lead the way like Dazza does for us during the start of the game.

Sure we have some good options to replace both Dazza and Mears but those options lack some much needed top grade expereince in that position - I have no doubts that they can prove me wrong but I just think this is the area that will prove to be our weakest next year!

Backs, Halves, Back Rowers and Props I think for once we will be very well stocked in those areas its just the Dummy half area that concerns me.

I think next year, we will find out with Fitzy, what St. George are finding out with Withers. I think fitzy will end up being our starting hooker. Whilst his defense is slightly disturbing, he can be hidden in defense a bit more in hooker, then he can, at say 5/8 or centre. A Fitzy/Farah rotation would do me nicley.

Mighty Tiger

Bench
Wrighty79 said:
I think next year, we will find out with Fitzy, what St. George are finding out with Withers. I think fitzy will end up being our starting hooker. Whilst his defense is slightly disturbing, he can be hidden in defense a bit more in hooker, then he can, at say 5/8 or centre. A Fitzy/Farah rotation would do me nicley.

I think it would be great, Fitzy should be either Hooker or Fullback those are his 2 positions IMO (And no I'm not saying he should be Fullback for the WTS infront of Hodgson thats just his best position!)

But its not a case of what we think its more of a case of what Sheens thinks :evil:

Vicious

Bench
To me Buettner looks like he`s as fit as he`s ever been.He`s only 30y.o and if he`s keen to play on for around 50k-80k,I can`t see why we wouldn`t give him another year.The same goes for Mears.It would be great to find a hooker who is a punishing defender to compliment Robbie Farahs creativeness,but i`m stuck for ideas on that.Luke Quigley could be a prospect???

Latest posts