What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Rugby League training in Nicaragua

latingringo101

Juniors
Rugby League introduced to Nicaragua

The Central American nation of Nicaragua is the latest Latin American country to have Rugby League introduced following the hard work of the Nicaragua Rugby League and the Federación Latinoamericana de Rugby League.

Joining the likes of Mexico and El Salvador, the Nicaragua Rugby League has successfully introduced the code to the capital of Managua, hosting a number of training and development sessions at the National University of Engineering.

The Nicaragua Rugby League hopes to establish both a domestic competition around Managua and has plans to play El Salvador and potentially Honduras in internationals later this year.

https://www.asiapacificrl.com/2019/01/22/rugby-league-introduced-to-nicaragua/

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Unless we steal a bunch of established local Union players, its unlikely these teams will make the World Cup for a few decades at least.

So Im really hoping the International 9s is taken seriously by the RLIF. THAT is our best chance to give these teams a big of success on the big stage or at least give them a competitive run against the top teams.

I wonder if, on day, a Pacific Nations tournament might even include a South American team...

langpark

First Grade
World Cup qualification is not the be all and end all. There are 16 spots, and currently 40+ nations playing, and that number keeps growing. A sport can still thrive somewhere without their team making it into the WC. Good luck to all in Nicaragua!

Pulga

Juniors
Unless we steal a bunch of established local Union players, its unlikely these teams will make the World Cup for a few decades at least.

So Im really hoping the International 9s is taken seriously by the RLIF. THAT is our best chance to give these teams a big of success on the big stage or at least give them a competitive run against the top teams.

I wonder if, on day, a Pacific Nations tournament might even include a South American team...

Nicaragua have quite a few countrymen in Australia. Nowhere near the amount as El Salvador and Chile but a reasonable number.

I think they could be a relative powerhouse in the region.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
World Cup qualification is not the be all and end all. There are 16 spots, and currently 40+ nations playing, and that number keeps growing. A sport can still thrive somewhere without their team making it into the WC. Good luck to all in Nicaragua!

Missing the WC isnt a failure, but qualifying is definitely the best chance to give the game some profile.

Nicaragua have quite a few countrymen in Australia. Nowhere near the amount as El Salvador and Chile but a reasonable number.

I think they could be a relative powerhouse in the region.

Im not a huge fan of heritage players, but as a short term boost to get some local exposure, it definitely cannot be sniffed at.

Pulga

Juniors
Im not a huge fan of heritage players, but as a short term boost to get some local exposure, it definitely cannot be sniffed at.

I think we need to start distinguishing "heritage" players. They seem to be universally frowned upon.

There are so many different situations that can bring someone to be a heritage player.

Is someone who was born in Chile but moved to Australia at two a heritage player?

What about the Colombian team that played El Salvador in October last year? All were born in Colombia but all are currently living in Australia.

Only 60% of Salvadorans live in El Salvador. Does not the other 40% deserve to be represented and not as being labelled a "heritage" player?

These are just the situations I know of. I'm sure there are many others.

I really don't like the weight that word carries.

Last edited:

langpark

First Grade
I think we need to start distinguishing "heritage" players. They seem to be universally frowned upon.

There are so many different situations that can bring someone to be a heritage player.

Is someone who was born in Chile but moved to Australia at two a heritage player?

What about the Colombian team that played El Salvador in October last year? All were born in Colombia but all are currently living in Australia.

Only 60% of Salvadorans live in El Salvador. Does not the other 40% deserve to be represented and not as being labelled a "heritage" player?

It's very simple. The question is "where did you learn to play RL?" If the answer to the question is Aus, NZ, UK etc. Then you are a heritage player. End of.

Of course an E.S player who grew up in Colombia, would not be considered 'heritage'.

Pulga

Juniors
Of course an E.S player who grew up in Colombia, would not be considered 'heritage'.

How so?

That seems to be singling out a few nations where the game has some popularity.

So the relative popularity of rugby league in the country you learners to play is what determines if you are a "heritage" player or not?

Seems ridiculous to say the least.

Te Kaha

First Grade
It's very simple. The question is "where did you learn to play RL?" If the answer to the question is Aus, NZ, UK etc. Then you are a heritage player. End of.

That doesn't make sense.. if you are born in the country they you are not a heritage player as you are automatically eligible to play in that country. A heritage player is someone who wasn't born in the country but qualifies due to a parent or grandparent. As in its their "heritage" e.g. NZ Born Islanders who identify as both an NZer and an Islander. Their island country is their "heritage".

latingringo101

Juniors
Heritage debate aside it's great Nicaragua is playing the game. Hopefully other central American countries like Panama, Guatemala, Honduras, Belize etc take up the sport and a Central America championship can be established.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

No, BORN in the country definitely qualifies as a local. Whether the leave a 2 because their parents got a job or at 20 to join a pro league overseas, they will ALWAYS qualify as "locals".

People born in and live in Australia to migrant parents, but travel back contnuously to see family? That is getting to the edge, but id still classify them as genuine "locals".

My problem with "heritage" players comes when a guy has never set foot in the country (maybe didnt even know it was their heritage until their 20s) but qualify because one grandparent migrated 50 years ago. That is where it starts to get insulting...

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

Of course not...

People in the Kangaroos teams are NOT representing "Australian Rugby League", they are representing the Australian nation THROUGH Rugby League.

It doesnt matter where people first begin to play this game, their home nation is where they are born (or sometimes where they grow up).

langpark

First Grade
Guys, 'heritage' and 'domestic' have become the terms used over the years. Where you're born, of course makes you eligible for that country, but does not automatically make you 'domestic'. EXAMPLE. George Peponis, born in Greece, left at age 2, is NOT a domestic player if he were to play for Greece.

Here are the current rules as taken from the RLIF site:

The criteria for a domestic quota player:

i. Presently registered by the Participating Countries’ NGB; and

ii. Having played a minimum of ten matches in the current or most recent Participating Countries’ championship season [or for a club based within the participating country but with a league structure beyond that country] or a combination of both the current and preceding season; or

iii. If less than ten games have been played as per ii, above, not having played rugby league in any other country; or

iv. Currently playing overseas having originally transferred from a team in the country applying for domestic quota clearance for which the player has played a minimum of ten matches in that country’s domestic championship, or if less than ten games have been played as per ii, above, not having played rugby league in any other country; or

v. Is a product of the Participating Countries’ youth programme:

a) having played a minimum of ten registered youth games domestically; or

b) If less than ten games have been played as per a), not having played rugby league in any other country

If a case arises that is not covered by the above the RLIF will make a judgment based on the spirit of the rule, which is to promote players who play rugby league in the Participating Country

I find it really sad that the rules are the for a reason, and people are constantly going through them with a microscope, looking for loopholes, or to be clever and say "Uh ha! Gotcha!" Rather than just abiding by them and getting on with it.

Anyway, I did not mean to start the heritage debate, I'm sorry about that, and good luck once again to the Nicaraguans!