What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First signing?

johnny cash

Juniors
What is the feeing in Australia, will the first signing be a Marquee signing, or will there be a few squad members signed first, and do you expect anyone signed straight away on Monday.
Living in Scotland leaves someone very far from the rumour mill.

MugaB

Coach
Im guessing someone like Christian Welch, or Tariq Sims
Someone they look upon as a leader or senior player, even if they aren't a Qlder

Someone2

Juniors
can see Sam burgess coming out of retirement to play under Bennett he will be 34

he was talking about coming out of retirement last year before the personal stuff happened

Perth Red

Post Whore
well today is signing day so we might get some news this week. What names are availble from 2023?
Herby Farnworth
Jake Turpin
Josh Hodgson
Tom Starling
Jackson Topine
Wade Graham
Jesse Bromwich
Cooper Johns
Felise Kaufusi
Brandon Smith
Christian Welch
Chanel Harris-Tevita
Kodi Nikorima
Jordan Mclean
Clint Gutherson
Isahai Papali'i
Junior Paulo
Dylan edwards
Vilaime Kikau
Anthiny Milford
Angus Crichton
Joseph Manu

Theres a stack of big names off contract at end of 2023 so be interesting to see if they hang back a bit to pick up bigger names for their second year.

Smiley

Bench
Will be a couple of current QCup players. Guessing Cameron Cullen and Lachlan Timms.

Perth Red

Post Whore
You have to question what they are thinking if they sign Ponga for 1.4m a season

He's a great player, one of the elite.. but he's not a Tommy Turbo
Was always going to be a problem, you have to pay a fair bit more to get a big name player to move. Do agree though he hasnt shown enough to warrant that coin an could easily end up a Milford or Barba of Fifita in taking up huge cap space but not delivering wins.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Newly appointed Dolphins recruitment chief Peter O’Sullivan has dropped a bombshell that will send shockwaves through the Newcastle Knights.
The man famous for signing some of the game’s greatest stars has revealed that superstar Kalyn Ponga is a genuine target to become the marquee face of Wayne Bennett’s new Queensland-based NRL team.

It comes amid fresh speculation from News Corp’s own Phil Rothfield that the Dolphins could be willing to pay Ponga as much as $1.4 million-a-season to jump ship and move back to Queensland in 2023.

Already other names thrown up as potential marquee recruits include Cameron Munster and Brandon Smith.

O’Sullivan said ideally he won’t be targeting more than three marquee players to come on board for the club’s inaugural season.
Told of the speculation Ponga would be the Dolphins’ priority target, O’Sullivan didn’t hesitate: “Well, he could be. Who wouldn’t be keen on him?

“You could name anyone at that top echelon of players but they have to be coming off contract. And, two, they have to want to come.”

And that is where it gets interesting with Ponga’s situation.

There has been some dispute as to whether Ponga is up for grabs for 2023 with ongoing speculation he has a player option in his contract but it would only allow him to seek a release if Newcastle won a premiership.

News Corp spoke with Ponga’s father Andre about that clause last week but he was cagey with his response, claiming he needed to check the clause to be certain.
However, other sources have said that if push came to shove Ponga could leave the Knights at the end of next season.

Asked if he had any understanding of the agreement, O’Sullivan said: “Well, the official NRL (contract list) says he has a player option.”

Asked if he had any relationship with Ponga’s father, O’Sullivan then revealed that “I tried to sign him as a kid at the Roosters so I know his old man”.

The Newcastle Knights have been adamant that Ponga has shown no desire to want to leave the club, and that they don’t fear losing him.

However, the situation surrounding Mitchell Pearce’s request for a release to join French Super League club Catalans could be decisive.

Pearce’s pending move will leave the club without a reconsidered halfback heading into next season, and that could be hugely detrimental to their hopes of challenging the top teams.

It would be a massive setback if they can’t find an experienced replacement of Pearce’s calibre because, aside from that, they have a quality roster that could potentially challenge the top four teams

Perth Red

Post Whore
I wouldnt be spending $1.4 on ponga, or anywhere near it. Personally Id go for
B Smith $800k
J Manu $700k
C Welch $750k (c)

as my three marquee signings. Leaves plenty of room in the now smaller cap to build strength through the squad not just at the top end. I don't think Smith is worth that much but Storm allegedly offered him $700k a year for three years and he's turned it down (I suspect from reports he's hoping to go to Warriors). If I was going to chuck $1mill plus at anyone it would be Gutherson or Munster, not Ponga.

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach
I wouldnt be spending $1.4 on ponga, or anywhere near it. Personally Id go for
B Smith $800k
J Manu $700k
C Welch $750k (c)

as my three marquee signings. Leaves plenty of room in the now smaller cap to build strength through the squad not just at the top end. I don't think Smith is worth that much but Storm allegedly offered him $700k a year for three years and he's turned it down (I suspect from reports he's hoping to go to Warriors). If I was going to chuck $1mill plus at anyone it would be Gutherson or Munster, not Ponga.
Dopey Gutho, with his gutho dance... although he is a great hard working fullback, he lacks a spark, or talent that Ponga and Munster oozes, and Munster isn't milion dollar material, he doesnt put in the work to win every game he gets paid for,... if you had a player with guthos ethics, and Munsters ad lib talent, they be a freak... maybe thats ponga in a few years.. maybe thats what they are looking for

The_Frog

First Grade
It comes amid fresh speculation from News Corp’s own Phil Rothfield that the Dolphins could be willing to pay Ponga as much as $1.4 million-a-season to jump ship and move back to Queensland in 2023.
Double what he's worth IMHO.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Dopey Gutho, with his gutho dance... although he is a great hard working fullback, he lacks a spark, or talent that Ponga and Munster oozes, and Munster isn't milion dollar material, he doesnt put in the work to win every game he gets paid for,... if you had a player with guthos ethics, and Munsters ad lib talent, they be a freak... maybe thats ponga in a few years.. maybe thats what they are looking for
yeh fair call though we have seen a lot of clubs speculate on players and pay them well above what they are worth and it go bad. Ash Taylor, Milford etc etc

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not exactly what we thought would be the first name lol

Former Queensland under-18 representative Harrison Graham has reportedly become the first player signed by NRL expansion side the Dolphins.

There was plenty of talk linking the Dolphins to marquee men Cameron Munster and Kalyn Ponga, but it’s 20-year-old Graham who has etched his name into the club’s history books.
Graham has been touted as one of the best young hookers in the game and can also play lock.

The young gun has been signed on a development contract with scope to upgrade him, according to the Sydney Morning Herald.

However, he has a train-and-trial contract with the Broncos for the upcoming pre-season and could be picked up by Brisbane for the 2022 NRL season.

Latest posts