What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fitzgerald denied link to Jason Smith

dazeely

First Grade
Veteran Smith vows he won't play for peanuts
Chris Wilson
Thursday, 13 July 2006

Canberra Raiders playmaker Jason Smith doesn't want to retire but says he won't "play for nothing" next year.
It remains a puzzle where Smith will play next season after Parramatta chief executive Denis Fitzgerald yesterday denied rumours the Eels wanted to sign the 34-year-old.
Smith has been linked with Souths, North Queensland, the Roosters and Parramatta since declaring he wanted to play on next year. It would be his eighteenth season of first grade.
Smith's manager Sam Ayoub added to the intrigue yesterday when he said he was talking with two more clubs. "Two of the clubs have expressed they don't want us to mention who they are because they're making some changes themselves," Ayoub said.
He said he was expecting a call as soon as the clubs "cleared their decks".
Smith said he would only play on if the right deal came along.
"I think there might have been a couple of clubs who thought I was desperate to play and they could give me next to nothing," Smith said. "I don't have to play but I feel I still can. But I'm not going to play for nothing."
Raiders coach Matt Elliott was heavily criticised for recruiting Smith in 2005, but the veteran has found new life at the Raiders after shaking off a chronic shoulder injury. The Raiders have already told Smith he is not in their plans for next year.
"Everyone says play as long as you can because retirement's forever," Smith said. "Most of the people I talk to and respect their opinion, they all gave the game away because their bodies gave way. My body's still fine and that's convinced me I'm not ready to retire." The Raiders have made offers to retain Alan Rothery (two years), Terry Martin (one year), and Terry Campese (one year). The Raiders have also filled one of their coaching positions for next season, promoting Sean Edwards to take over as strength and conditioning coach.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
dazeely said:
Veteran Smith vows he won't play for peanuts
Chris Wilson
Thursday, 13 July 2006

Canberra Raiders playmaker Jason Smith doesn't want to retire but says he won't "play for nothing" next year.
It remains a puzzle where Smith will play next season after Parramatta chief executive Denis Fitzgerald yesterday denied rumours the Eels wanted to sign the 34-year-old.
Smith has been linked with Souths, North Queensland, the Roosters and Parramatta since declaring he wanted to play on next year. It would be his eighteenth season of first grade.
Smith's manager Sam Ayoub added to the intrigue yesterday when he said he was talking with two more clubs. "Two of the clubs have expressed they don't want us to mention who they are because they're making some changes themselves," Ayoub said.
He said he was expecting a call as soon as the clubs "cleared their decks".
Smith said he would only play on if the right deal came along.
"I think there might have been a couple of clubs who thought I was desperate to play and they could give me next to nothing," Smith said. "I don't have to play but I feel I still can. But I'm not going to play for nothing."
Raiders coach Matt Elliott was heavily criticised for recruiting Smith in 2005, but the veteran has found new life at the Raiders after shaking off a chronic shoulder injury. The Raiders have already told Smith he is not in their plans for next year.
"Everyone says play as long as you can because retirement's forever," Smith said. "Most of the people I talk to and respect their opinion, they all gave the game away because their bodies gave way. My body's still fine and that's convinced me I'm not ready to retire." The Raiders have made offers to retain Alan Rothery (two years), Terry Martin (one year), and Terry Campese (one year). The Raiders have also filled one of their coaching positions for next season, promoting Sean Edwards to take over as strength and conditioning coach.

Well if we haven't cleared the decks yet, we're never gonna bloody well clear them.:x

Y2Eel

First Grade
hmmm clearing their decks is that why manly are trying to offload monahan??

Hurriflatch

Referee
Wing might be a decent 5/8 if the Roosters want to get rid of him

he does have a decent running game

Y2Eel

First Grade
wing has won a grand final at half the only thing is fittler was doing all the work

HayneHindi

Juniors
What they were saying on the footy show. The roosters are favourites to get smith and that is why they are getting rid of Finch. They are also after Nat Myles.

Regarding Mongahan(sorry spelling), They saying they are off loading him because he is keeping other young hookers at the eagles a go, but I reckon they are getting rid of him because of the salary cap. With all the players they are suppose to be chasing they will definitely go over their salary cap if they don't get rid of some of their playing staff and mongahan is one to be let go even though he only signed a three year contract with them last year.

Gronk

Staff member
Hurriflatch said:
Wing might be a decent 5/8 if the Roosters want to get rid of him

he does have a decent running game

Signing Wing would be very odd. He would offer the same type of game as Morris and I doubt he would go any better. Wing would probably be on more $$$ too.

Release Morris and then sign Wing ? :crazy:

Parra Guru

Coach
I feel sorry for Monoghan. Manly treat him like sh*t.

I'd really like to sign Wing for 5/8. Nate Myles would be awesome too.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Parra Guru said:
I feel sorry for Monoghan. Manly treat him like sh*t.

I'd really like to sign Wing for 5/8. Nate Myles would be awesome too.

Unfortunately Nate wasn't offered a contract by us, Fitzy confirmed it on the BSB this morning.

Stagger eel

Staff member
T-BONE MCGRAW said:
Yeah mate I was just stirring. Seriously though are there many players left on the market worth signing?

well, Myles and Simpson are the only big names left but there are several first graders and premier league off contract and it appears that the GC and souths are the only clubs signing players at the moment..club are waiting for the big tickets to be tied up and then you'll see the likes of Manufoka, Villasante, Chris Walker, Bickerstaff, Feeney,Paea brothers etc will be snapped up by various clubs.there's also talk of clubs like Manly, NQ and the Roosters off loading contracted players and some players in England are looking at coming back to oz..

If you think about it there is still some options out there.