What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

*fix* Getting onfield sponsors to show up in friendlys

Jonotallica

Juniors
If you don't use a 2004 update patch you won't have this problem and this won't concern you.

However if you are using a 2004 update patch that has had the competition draw updated to 2004 you will have this problem.Basically you will only see the onfield sponsors in competition games, rather then friendlys or origin. This was spotted by eisen.

I had a look yesterday and figured out what the problem is.

In the comp.db file, 'most' 2004 patches change the name of the NRL competition to NRL 2004 (instead of 2003) which changes what you see when you are choosing teams. I have no idea why but changing the 3 in 2003 to a 4, causes the onfield sponsors to disappear in friendlys and origin games.

So you have a decision to make.. what's more important? Having the NRL teams say NRL 2004 when choosing a team, but having no onfield sponsors during friendlys.. or having it say NRL 2003 (even though it's 2004 rosters) but having onfield sponsors show up in EVERY game you play. I have no idea why it is like this, but that's the way it is. It's a trade off.

The funny thing is that in my patch I had to alter other parts of the comp.db to include the new Salford team I made instead of Halifax. (If I didn't do this, Vossy would have called Salford Halifax). So it lets you alter others parts of the comp.db file, it just won't let you alter the name of the competition. I tried other combinations like just "NRL" and "Superleague" without the year of the season but it was the same result. There may be a way around this, but I'm yet to figure it out.

How to fix it if you do decide you want onfield sponsors

If you don't care about it saying 2003 instead of 2004, and you are using Timmo's latest patch, or my patch.. download this file and copy it into the DB directory and when it asks if you want to overwrite the old one, select Yes.

edit - if you edit the 2003 reference in the .exe file, you can get it to say 2004, and still have onfield sponsors. So downloading the comp.db isnt necesary anymore, read the posts below.

http://home.iprimus.com.au/lwillett/comp.db

CAUTION - Don't use this file if you aren't using Timmo's patch, or my patch. It is an altered comp.db file and will cause your game to crash if it doesn't have the added Salford Reds team in your team.db file.

If you are using a different 2004 update, Ridge's (even though his isnt released yet, I noticed in his screenshots his had this problem) or Gols for example.. simply use a hex editor like Ultra Edit to edit the comp.db file and wherever you see 2004, change it to 2003. By memory the competition names you need to change are NRL 2004, Super League 2004 and City/Country 2004, and State of Origin 2004 to NRL 2003, Super League 2003 etc etc etc.

It's a pain that it won't show sponsors when changed to 2004, but what can ya do..

Jonotallica

Juniors
See.. that's why inertia writes the coding for player editors and I don't.

You are correct sir, that fixes it. All you have to do is change the 2003's to 2004 in the exe, and it's sweet.

But what options are there? Hosting an editted .exe file? Or telling people what parts of the .exe to edit with the hex editor?

I wouldn't wanna host an .exe unless Mario gave the ok, and also the .exe is really large in size and I don't have enough space left to host a file that big..

Mario

Juniors
Jonotallica said:
I wouldn't wanna host an .exe unless Mario gave the ok, and also the .exe is really large in size and I don't have enough space left to host a file that big..

I'd prefer if you didn't host a modified .exe.

Seperate util or instructions to patch would be fine.

Jonotallica

Juniors
Okie dokie..

I'll leave it up to you then inertia.. :)

Btw your hosting ridges graphics and font patch for him aren't you? Any idea when that'll be ready to download?

strong_latte

Juniors
Jonotallica said:
See.. that's why inertia writes the coding for player editors and I don't.

You are correct sir, that fixes it. All you have to do is change the 2003's to 2004 in the exe, and it's sweet.

But what options are there? Hosting an editted .exe file? Or telling people what parts of the .exe to edit with the hex editor?

Whats the "exe", where do I find it and how do I change it? I read this before, but have no idea what poeple are talking about so I'm stuck with Origin matches with no sponsors and commentary lines that are supposed to be for grandfinals.... Can you guys help me out here? Also If you can, could you tell me how to change the Grandfinal back to being at Homebush instead of the Colloseum? Also I'd like to be able to change the "red numbat" thing to a VB sponsor?
Cheers fellas :)

Jonotallica

Juniors
The .exe is the file that you click on to start the game.. it's called rugbyleague.exe and it is the main program file.

You need a hex editor which is a program that is able to edit the .exe file.

Here is the website for one of them http://www.ultraedit.com, but there are plenty of others out there, just search "hex editor" in google.com

Once you run the hex editor, open your rugbyleague.exe file with it, which is in your main league directory/folder.

Down the left you will see an index type thing that looks like this

000000h
000010h
000020h
000030h

What you want to do is scroll down until you find - 00296a20h

Look to the far right and you will see references to nrl 2003, super league 2003, state of origin 2003 etc etc etc

All you need to do is change those to match your comp.db file.. in other words change the year so that it is 2004. Anywhere you see 2003, change it to 2004. Then save the file and run your game and it will be fine.

To change the grand final to play at Homebush, all you need to do is use inertia's fixture editor which is available from his website. Open the fixture editor, select the nrl season, and go to the grand final (which will be right down the bottom). Change the stadium to whatever stadium you want to play at.

About a VB sponsor.. download this and copy it into your data/world/stadium/shared/textures folder.. :)

http://home.iprimus.com.au/lwillett/crzjhns.png

inertia666

Juniors
jsut as easy is to take the search field, click on "find in ascii" and enter part of the name of the competition in.

strong_latte

Juniors
Thanks guys! Thats very helpful. I appreciate you doing this for a "computers for dummy's" gamer like myself :D