What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flanagan / Hunt - Explain that.

TheRev

Coach
Wishart is not the answer, we'll all be very disappointed if we go down that route. Did an okay job filling in for a bit this year, that's it. We need a genuine half who can control a game, kicks well in general play and organise a team. Wishart is not the man
It is very easy for us fans to play musical chairs, but Flanno is a hardened coach, and he doesn make rash decisions.. I cant see him paying overs for anyone hes not very very sure about.. Wishart I think is a hell of a player, as a 6 sure, 7 I think he might get there.. but you'd be risking it all to pay him overs.

but I just dont see the experienced 7 on the market that Flanno is going to sign.. I think hes gonna have to think outside the box..

Dragon David

First Grade
If you go back and listen to Flanno last year when first questioned he only ensured Hunt would be here this year not to the end of 2025 contract as things were going to be revisited at the end of this year
I see a lot happen over this off season.
Let's hope so BLM01. This off season has to be the one that sets the tone for a successful 2025. No pussy footing around - just if you don't cut it, you are out. Get as fit and as strong physically and mentally as you have never been before. Run the length and breadth of those beautiful south coast beaches. No flabby bellies anymore. Learn more skills and train everyday to use those skills like the back of the hand.

Make sure that all negativity of the previous season are purged from the mind and more positive thoughts brought into the mindset. Leave all doubts behind.

Train to improve the attack and defence like no other off season.

Stay focussed.

Flanno has a bigger job than he thought. Making sure that the right personnel is at the club to do the coaching and getting the right players to perform consistently well. Getting the right players is crucial. Not just anyone to make up the numbers but some really decent ones who can make a massive difference on game days not like the Bhunt.

Looking forward to seeing what is around the corner now.

Go the Dragons in 2025.

Last edited:

BLM01

First Grade
Let's hope so BLM01. This off season has to be the one that sets the tone for a successful 2025. No pussy footing around - just if you don't cut it, you are out. Get as fit and as strong physically and mentally as you have never been before. Run the length and breadth of those beautiful south coast beaches. No flabby bellies anymore. Learn more skills and train everyday to use those skills like the back of the hand.

Make sure that all negativity of the previous season are purged from the mind and more positive thoughts brought into the mindset. Leave all doubts behind.

Train to improve the attack and defence like no other off season.

Stay focussed.

Flanno has a bigger job than he thought. Making sure that the right personnel is at the club to do the coaching and getting the right players to carry perform consistently well. Getting the right players is crucial. Not just anyone to make up the numbers but some really decent ones who can make a massive difference on game days not like the Bhunt.

Looking forward to seeing what is around the corner now.

Go the Dragons in 2025.
I dont believe Flanno was blindsided. He knew but you have to come out with only positive talk publicly otherwise you risk crushing what ever brittle mental state our team and club was already in.
It takes time and we all knew that
Except the Lomax leaving carry on and debates (and they had some doosies I am told reliably) they had would not of been in his plans.
I think he has been very controlled this year again publicly with some poor losses and not blowing a gasket in press conferences
He certainly has been protective of all of the team especially our skipper for good reason I believe..publicly
He unleashed this week (normal Flanno) because it was deserved, timely and to send a message
We nearly got there this year his way
Dont expect the same calmness, protection and positive talk when it is not deserved next year

BLM01

First Grade
One can only hope !!!!
Na the media blowing it up although it was a possibly before the spray anyway
He is not the first club elite player to be sprayed by his coach in front of the cameras in recent times
Bellamy gave Grant (as captain) what looked like a spray earlier in the year in the sheds on camera
Does anyone know what Flanno said?.
He might of said
"the way the other 16 played out there we are doubling your salary for 2025. You were the only one that tried"
Hunt just felt bad for the others and embarrassed naturally and said I accept.

BLM01

First Grade
Wishart is not the answer, we'll all be very disappointed if we go down that route. Did an okay job filling in for a bit this year, that's it. We need a genuine half who can control a game, kicks well in general play and organise a team. Wishart is not the man
Disagree. Naturally a 6 from juniors.
Will he make a NRL good 6 like a Foran or Cronulla's Atkinson style in lieu of a Munster or a Burton style.
I reckon he can, but obviously not to be paid like an elite 6 to start with.

matPORTS

Juniors
I know it's cliche - but this coming off/pre-season will be the toughest and most crucial ever.

This club no longer has the luxury of time.

We have more expansion clubs coming within the next 3-5 years. They will be targeting our nursery looking for players who they can build their first squads around, and players whom otherwise would not be getting an opportunity with us. The NRL won't want these expansion teams to fail.

We have to get our roster balanced by no later than 2026 - with a mix of a couple of solid marquees (be it homegrown or from outside the club), solid first graders, and juniors who will be transitioning from rookies to becoming regular first graders.

I feel like we have all the ingredients to make this happen, but as we have seen, there are a couple of 'expired ingredients' still to be thrown out & replaced in the otherwise bare pantry. The spring clean needs to be hard and ruthless (Hunt among several others including certain people in the backroom + support staff).

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm getting sick of being told to 'hang in there', 'things will be okay you'll see', 'you're not loyal to your team' etc. If we can't make a resounding improvement in our results soon, I feel that people are going to start walking away. I really don't know what the answer will be?

Dragon David

First Grade
I know it's cliche - but this coming off/pre-season will be the toughest and most crucial ever.

This club no longer has the luxury of time.

We have more expansion clubs coming within the next 3-5 years. They will be targeting our nursery looking for players who they can build their first squads around, and players whom otherwise would not be getting an opportunity with us. The NRL won't want these expansion teams to fail.

We have to get our roster balanced by no later than 2026 - with a mix of a couple of solid marquees (be it homegrown or from outside the club), solid first graders, and juniors who will be transitioning from rookies to becoming regular first graders.

I feel like we have all the ingredients to make this happen, but as we have seen, there are a couple of 'expired ingredients' still to be thrown out & replaced in the otherwise bare pantry. The spring clean needs to be hard and ruthless (Hunt among several others including certain people in the backroom + support staff).

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm getting sick of being told to 'hang in there', 'things will be okay you'll see', 'you're not loyal to your team' etc. If we can't make a resounding improvement in our results soon, I feel that people are going to start walking away. I really don't know what the answer will be?
Yep, spring and summer clean out and silly seasons before the autumn of 2025 being the time when we make our claim to be top 8 material once again.

It will be very interesting indeed.

justadragon

Bench
The most bazar thing that I can think of ( yes as a delusional Dragons member/supporter) yes Ben Hunt will one day leave the Dragons, oh yes he will, be it this year or next, but he will be gone. I will actually feel sorry for him whilst he is doing the lap of honour at our home grounds, can you imagine the comments and innuendo that he will be greeted with. Mine would be thanks for coming but I'm thanking you more for leaving !!

56to66

Juniors
Without the nastiness involved, I think it would be a invigorating for St George to release Ben Hunt to Broncos, we can hit the reset button, hopefully lure Tyran Wishart, Broncos will get another 2 years out of Ben, physically he's done nothing for us (sorry couldn't resist)
Win Win for everyone.,