What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flanagan keen to lure O'Donnell to Cronulla

PJ

First Grade
I remember in a players poll a couple of years ago he came as the second highest coach that players wouldn't play for.

Brian Smith has topped that poll just about every year it has been run yet players still go to his clubs.

But I am liking the players he is having a crack at.

So do I, but I liked some of the players that Stuart had a crack at as well.

Inferno

Coach
No he is not from the Ricky Stuart thinking.

Our back row depth is a myth. It isn't as strong as it has been in previous years.

Just look at our bench.

Also players like Bakuya have been terribly injury prone.

Reece Williams has had seriously nasty medical conditions and his NRL career must be highly doubtful.

I think Millington and Cuthbertson are probably better suited to prop and would be able to shift there with a signing like a an O'Donnell or a Blair.

There are some talented forwards coming through in the junior ranks but they are seriously a couple of years away from being First Graders nor should we solely rely on them. Most young forwards take time to develop and should not be rushed.

I like the names Flanagan has on the radar.

It sure beats names like Cordoba, Cuthbertson and Tautai that were on Ricky Stuarts list.

Ricky gone and Flanagan in is a great result for the Sharks especially in recruitment.

Arguably 2 of our best 3 players are currently in the backrow and contract for the next 2 years. Cuthbo is contracted for next year and we have Williams with an option in his favour (I've heard unlikely to take it up) and possibly Milo and Bukuya off contract. In addition to that we have the Pom contracted who can play in the backrow as can Wright.

I'd have to disagree with you DS, I think re-signing Milo and Bukuya would more than shore up our backrow depth as well as leave us with a decent amount of dollars to spend strengthening our weaknesses which are our halves and backline.

Brian Smith has topped that poll just about every year it has been run yet players still go to his clubs.

A lot of players wouldn't though.
Most of his signings are usually loyal disciples or young ignorant players.

So do I, but I liked some of the players that Stuart had a crack at as well.

Well this will be an interesting test. Ricky asked and he said no. Flanagan asks and he will say?

mortz

Arguably 2 of our best 3 players are currently in the backrow and contract for the next 2 years. Cuthbo is contracted for next year and we have Williams with an option in his favour (I've heard unlikely to take it up) and possibly Milo and Bukuya off contract. In addition to that we have the Pom contracted who can play in the backrow as can Wright.

I'd have to disagree with you DS, I think re-signing Milo and Bukuya would more than shore up our backrow depth as well as leave us with a decent amount of dollars to spend strengthening our weaknesses which are our halves and backline.

top post inferno, however, i would still like LOD here

Inferno Milo is currently a starting back rower.

As stated Bukuya is highly injury prone.

And we both agree Williams is highly unlikely to resume his NRL career.

So who exactly is our back up back rowers when we have Tupou, Gallen and Millington (More of a back up prop) in the starting line up?

Oh and f**k the Pommeroy to back row option the guy needs to get cut from the team this year for good!

Vossy

Bench
Sharks don't need forwards, you need backs. Especially a top quality fullback and a decent five eighth.

we have found our fullback in Gardner and we wont need a 5/8 if Baz stays on, his current form has been his best for us

Inferno

Coach
Inferno Milo is currently a starting back rower.

As stated Bukuya is highly injury prone.

And we both agree Williams is highly unlikely to resume his NRL career.

So who exactly is our back up back rowers when we have Tupou, Gallen and Millington (More of a back up prop) in the starting line up?

Oh and f**k the Pommeroy to back row option the guy needs to get cut from the team this year for good!

Bukuya has been unlucky 2 years in a row, I'm not ready to call him injury prone just yet. We already have Dougy, Snowy, Vave and Mannah as props and I suppose Cuthbo if you don't want to call him a backrower, so Milo won't be moving to prop any time soon. I just think it would be silly to spend so much on another backrower when that is currently our biggest strength.

mortz

a backrow of

11 gallen
12 toops
13 LOD

14 milo

is alot better than

11 milo
12 toops
13 gallen

15 cuthbo or 15 brod wright

a backrow of

11 gallen
12 toops
13 LOD

14 milo

is alot better than

11 milo
12 toops
13 gallen

15 cuthbo or 15 brod wright

Exactly Mortz.

If you want to go a long way into a Premiership campaign your bench forwards have to be much closer in quality to the starting forwards than how it is at the moment.

It's a 17 man game now.
Who you have on the bench is almost just as important to who you have starting.

mortz

yeh DS,

thats why i was saying in the gordon thread, its a few quality players needed, LOD and gordon will be great if we can get them

Special K

Coach
We do need forwards... We lack go forward and since we lost the other bash brother we have been lacking another quality backrower.. Tupou is a different style of backrower but I love the idea of of adding lod and getting some fear back into our pack

Selachimorpha

Juniors
LOD would definitely be a quality signing, not high on our chances but maybe potentially playing with his brother will help bring him our way.

Latest posts