What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flanno's New Signings

SaintWayne

Juniors
o If we need a spot (Some AFB equivalent comes on the market), we can easily afford to pay players out (Russell, MaxF, MattF), and we have Dev Spots I think that are all being moved on (Shereb, Coric, Muhlheissen) and there is AlexT.. all of which are likely to be moved on end of year.. but I think most of the 2025 spots are spoken for.. we have a tonne of kids promised spots.

o The Couchmans are some of the best 19yr olds I had seen in some time.. ppl around the club say their fitness and work ethic is immense.. and even they need/needed >2yrs to be able to hold a 1st grade bench spot.. if indeed they actually make it.. they have a head start over the SG boys and Stewart/Webter/Liu.. I like the idea of any forward that is skillful enough to play lock also.. just feel like hes a better bet to invest in.. cause we have to make tough choices.

o Halangahu is the only one im confused about, he is top 30 next year and I dunno if he deserves it over a NickT for example (believe NickT/Latu have Dev spots next year though).. I think we must have had to beat out a competitor to sign Halangahu...

o Meafou, Williams, Reed and BRumble are the 4 I'd love to see locked up yet.. but there is a limit to how many we can do that with NRL contracts though... King Togia im still on the fence about.. I love watching him but I cant be sure he is 'the one'... we cant have all of them on dev contracts, but we can perhaps have them ear marked for 2026 or 2027 dev spots perhaps...
Halangahu is miles ahead of nickT, yes we did have to beat off signatures but he is the real deal

saintmar

Juniors
I remember the last time we made a mid-season signing of a current NZ international hooker/utility who'd just won world cup and sought a release from his club. That dude was 30 years old at the time. Turned out alright :)

r0_0_3807_2501_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg
Yeah but there was a bloke called Bennett recruiting with a plan.
currently we have nothing

saintmar

Juniors
Moley has made a comment about the Lomax thing. Spot on too.
If the Dragons wanted to keep lomax they would have - simple as that.
There is absolutely a reason that he is not part of our plans for the future.
Yep you are correct
Obviously extending Benny keeping Bird and upgrading FLano must be the plan now that we have got rid of our best attacking player

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
Halangahu is miles ahead of nickT, yes we did have to beat off signatures but he is the real deal
The wording on the media releases by the Dragons re Latu and Halangahu was “2025 they are joining the extended NRL squad”

I’m guessing that is development player 2025 not top30 given the reference to “extended NRL squad”……All other players that were moving into the top30 said so in the media releases.

Stewart and Egan they specifically said top30 2025. Same for Couchmans etc

Last edited:

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
Development players 2025 as reported in the media or via our Dragons media release

1.Latu

2.Tsougranis

3.Ackers

4. Halangahu

guessing some of the below will contend for the remaining two spots?

5.Pasifiki-Tonga?

6.Jett Liu?

7.Meafou?

8.Cyrus Stanley Traill?

9.Kyan Hjaltason?

TheRev

First Grade
Development players 2025 as reported in the media or via our Dragons media release

1.Latu

2.Tsougranis

3.Ackers

4. Halangahu

guessing some of the below will contend for the remaining two spots?

5.Pasifiki-Tonga?

6.Jett Liu?

7.Meafou?

8.Cyrus Stanley Traill?

9.Kyan Hjaltason?
I've been tracking them also... most are listed on zero tackle.. but some of them are flat out not public knowledge... this is what i have atm:

2025 (Top 30):
o Egan, Halangahu, Pasifiki Tonga, Stewart

* Halangahu is in our 30 on zero tackle, but the news article is vague on it.. its possible he is just a dev, which tbh would be more logical given his age.

2025 (Dev*):
o Nicky T, Latu, Ackers

* This assumes Coric, Shereb and Muhleissen are being let go...
* Stanley-Traill is a 2026 Dev (2027 Top 30).. but he might also be Dev for 2025.. I cant be sure

There are a bunch of other forwards like Hutchinson, Meafou, Liu & Webster that I think will be in and around.. but I assume most will be train and trial players.. but if one of them kills it this year.. we may need to find room..

We also need a young hooker.. if its not Muhleissen we need to buy someone or possibly Kyan like you say.. I dont know if hes 'that' good.. dunno maybe.. hopefully..

And we need some development in other spots too.. the guys i think are on the radar are Buchanan, Reed, King-Togia, Williams, BRumble.. I mean there are numerous others that the club might have their eye on though.. we could also buy externally in a position if we feel like we have a huge hole.. its rly tricky.. but its good that JF and SG have had good seasons so far..

Last edited:

TheRev

First Grade
I really hope you are right on this one, I've only seen a little of Jacob, he didnt stand out but the Dragons SG have an incredible pack, his body type is very unusual. Why do you think he is ahead of NickT though, do you mean his ability ceiling?

NickT is about 2 years ahead age-wise and played U19 origin last year.. I think if he can stay injury-free, he could be in cup soon... but all bets are off once the SG season finishes..

BlackDuckSaint

Juniors
I really hope you are right on this one, I've only seen a little of Jacob, he didnt stand out but the Dragons SG have an incredible pack, his body type is very unusual. Why do you think he is ahead of NickT though, do you mean his ability ceiling?

NickT is about 2 years ahead age-wise and played U19 origin last year.. I think if he can stay injury-free, he could be in cup soon... but all bets are off once the SG season finishes..
From the bit of footage I have seen of Nick T, I fully believe he could be a great impact middle player off the bench. Like Lenui at the Panthers.

He runs at a million miles an hour and is awkward to tackle. Lives the contact and hurting people.

maestro1

Bench
I can hardly contain my excitement at the signing of Old Brown.
Flanno has said he’d be patient & wait for the right quality player. Wow!

At this point Brown is signed for the rest of 2024. This will not impact us signing the quality you mention for 2025 and beyond. It is an astute signing as Brown is experienced, plays with good footy IQ and is a dangerous impact player that will help us score more points. Can play multiple positions, especially a couple of spine positions where we would have stryif injuries hit.

SaintWayne

Juniors

Halangahu has it all, his PCM are off the charts, he can fold people in half, pass and he is co-captains for St George even though he’s under age. Nickt on the other hand is one dimensional imo

TheRev

First Grade
At this point Brown is signed for the rest of 2024. This will not impact us signing the quality you mention for 2025 and beyond. It is an astute signing as Brown is experienced, plays with good footy IQ and is a dangerous impact player that will help us score more points. Can play multiple positions, especially a couple of spine positions where we would have stryif injuries hit.
Agreed, we tried to get some 2024 hookers with potential.. didnt come off.. so Brown is probably only here for 5 months.. avoids us having to rely on Mulheissen in 1st grade, and gives us some injury cover (we have been very lucky so far).. probably hes not here next year.. unless we get a pleasant surprise.... time will tell.. not sure on Marschke's extension either, but it'll play out over the next few months.

Very nervous about 2025.. but thats unrelated to this signing.

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
I've been tracking them also... most are listed on zero tackle.. but some of them are flat out not public knowledge... this is what i have atm:

2025 (Top 30):
o Egan, Halangahu, Pasifiki Tonga, Stewart

* Halangahu is in our 30 on zero tackle, but the news article is vague on it.. its possible he is just a dev, which tbh would be more logical given his age.

2025 (Dev*):
o Nicky T, Latu, Ackers

* This assumes Coric, Shereb and Muhleissen are being let go...
* Stanley-Traill is a 2026 Dev (2027 Top 30).. but he might also be Dev for 2025.. I cant be sure

There are a bunch of other forwards like Hutchinson, Meafou, Liu & Webster that I think will be in and around.. but I assume most will be train and trial players.. but if one of them kills it this year.. we may need to find room..

We also need a young hooker.. if its not Muhleissen we need to buy someone or possibly Kyan like you say.. I dont know if hes 'that' good.. dunno maybe.. hopefully..

And we need some development in other spots too.. the guys i think are on the radar are Buchanan, Reed, King-Togia, Williams, BRumble.. I mean there are numerous others that the club might have their eye on though.. we could also buy externally in a position if we feel like we have a huge hole.. its rly tricky.. but its good that JF and SG have had good seasons so far..

yep you are right re Pasifiki Tonga was upgraded (nov23) to a 2025 and 2026 top30 contract. He is currently on a train and trial.

Re Halangahu it more so alluded in most articles that he is in the extended NRL SQUAD. Not clear whether he is in the top30........sounded more like Development list

TheRev

First Grade
They were talking about Turuva on a podcast earlier.. I didnt know he had gone through so much losing his mum and house burning down.. and the panthers supporting him thru it and stuff... makes it very hard to pull him away...

The knights are now out after signing Schiller, so its really only us and the Panthers.. but I feel like it will come down to a word in his ear from a mentor or some such...

Turuva is only 21.5yrs old.. but if he does want to get back to fullback, he has to compete with Iongi who was fullback of the year in cup last year.. so if he stays at the panthers.. its probably purely wing.. so that gives us some chance.

Halangahu has it all, his PCM are off the charts, he can fold people in half, pass and he is co-captains for St George even though he’s under age. Nickt on the other hand is one dimensional imo
The thing I'll say for Nick T. is that I've seen him handle SG Ball, Flegg, and NSW Cup. Each level up is a faster, more demanding game. The opposition is more organised, bigger, stronger, faster. Each level he has stepped up he has not taken a backward step and has done a decent job. It can be a difficult transition for a good SG Ball forward through these levels.

No dice, is sitting last on the reserves bench. Same olds for this match. Cant see us beating the Warriors unless Jack has another blinder off the bench and the Flanagan/Hunt combo finally clicks into gear.
Anyone in the 22 is a possibility until 6pm tonight, when there will be only 19 to choose from. For example, there is a big chance that M. Molo beats out BMM to a bench spot, there is also the chance with the short turnaround that someone succumbs to a minor injury. If Brown is fit and raring to go, he could be used. I suspect they'll wait for another week, because the team doesn't really train at all in these 5 day turnaround weeks: it's almost all recovery.

Coffs dragon

Bench
I hope you are right & he provides useful backup in 2024.
I was more concerned at how many clubs he’s been to!
…..(more than the Deltones) LOL

Latest posts