What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flanno's New Signings

Dragon David

First Grade
Flanno needs to sign a running 6 or 7 asap we are so boring in attack
We are terrible in attack. I thought Ryan Carr was the answer to our attacking woes. I think I am wrong with that thought and our defence coach Master D Young has been lacking with the same inability to get our guys to commit to tackling with all the blow out scores this year.

We need speed in the halves, backs and edge forwards, plus power in the middle. Do things as fast as possible. Get stronger and have better endurance and resilience. What are our supposed "better" trainers and conditioners doing about getting our players fitter. They look like they become lazy after a win. They lack killer instinct and a firm will to win attitude. Somebody Psyche them up please.

I'm fed up saying what they need. Surely someone at the club can sort the mess out. Surely!!!!

Veteran Dragon

Juniors
Don’t know if it has been mentioned Flanno has had preliminary talks with Matt Lodge. On the plus side on his day he is a destructive forward. Could Flanno get the best out of him. On the negative side for whatever reason clubs want to move him on after a couple of seasons.

Veteran Dragon

Juniors
Flanno said at the start of this year there will be some pain to go through this season. They have done much better than the betting market predicted. Flanno’s coaching has definitely improved individual players and the team as a whole. The elephant in the room is we still can’t land at least one big name big bopper front rower or a quality back to replace Lomax despite having money to spend under the salary cap. I hope in 2025 we keep improving and make the finals but losing Lomax and so far no big signings makes it a big task.

TheRev

First Grade
Don’t know if it has been mentioned Flanno has had preliminary talks with Matt Lodge. On the plus side on his day he is a destructive forward. Could Flanno get the best out of him. On the negative side for whatever reason clubs want to move him on after a couple of seasons.
Yar Lodge is 29yrs old.. if we could get him for just say 2yrs.. 1yr overlap with Jack.. in 2yrs time we have 2 couchmans holding their own easily.. Tonga off the bench, Sele is signed end of 2026, lets see how he goes with injuries, Frank also signed end of 2026.. he will have competition for his spot...

This recruitment market is making us do it the hard way.. 1 small upgrade at a time.. and again.. and again.. ideally we could have gotten AFB or Stefano.. but this could work out better value for money... if we can get them to fire..

hewi

Bench

NRL 2024: Manly Sea Eagles prop Matt Lodge meets with Dragons | Market Watch​

St George Illawarra coach Shane Flanagan has spoken to Matt Lodge following reports the off-contract forward is yet to receive an offer from Manly.
Brent Read and Michael Carayannis

2 min read
July 8, 2024 - 8:47PM
News Sport Network
https://archive.md/2zkYf/again?url=.../dd72ba6b3fc3a1ff80d38a09aa090c12#share-tools
St George Illawarra coach Shane Flanagan has spoken to Matt Lodge as he expands his search for front row reinforcements to include the Manly forward.
Lodge is off contract with the Sea Eagles at the end of the season and it is believed he is yet to receive an offer from Manly, leaving him free to explore his options with rival clubs.
It is understood the meeting with Flanagan was more of a feeling out exercise for both parties, although the Dragons are known to be in the market for a front rower.
They initially expressed an interest in Stefano Utoikamanu but baulked at making a play for the Wests Tigers forward when it became clear they were unlikely to win the race for his services.
The club has also been linked with Newcastle prop Daniel Saifiti and it is believed that they could sign both him and Lodge depending on how much money the Knights chip in for their former NSW State of Origin forward.
Saifiti has two years remaining on a contract that pays him more than $800,000 a season but has been given permission to explore his options on the open market as the Knights look to rework their salary cap.
Matt Lodge. Picture: Bradley Kanaris/Getty Images

Matt Lodge. Picture: Bradley Kanaris/Getty Images
The Dragons are keen to hold talks with Saifiti as Flanagan prioritises a front rower as part of his rebuild of the joint venture club.
Lodge is another quality prop on the market, although his recent career has been blighted by injury. The 29-year-old suffered a knee injury last year that ruined his season and has been sidelined for much of this season after a biceps problem.
Those injuries have affected his ability to showcase his skills but he is due to return to the field in round 24. By then, he may have made a call on his future as he considers all avenues to extend his career.

Attachments

• 1720476557218.gif
    1720476557218.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 6

Dragon David

First Grade
Lodge isn't a player that can inspire others that we have and those that we keep chasing. It will be a waste of time and resources. He is a rejects reject.

rasaint

Juniors
Daniel Saifiti definitely up to $700k a quality buy. Lodge has been plagued by injury for two years now; quite a risk. I think Wayne Bennent signed him after those legal problems some years back, so fit is a solid player.

Gourley's Socks

Juniors
I stayed through the Russell Packer redemption, through the Mary desperation, the De Belin fiasco and through the rebranding of the club as "Ben Hunt's St George Illawarra Ben Hunt Dragons brought to you by Ben Hunt".

But Matt Lodge would be the end of it for me. Vile human who ran away avoiding his proper punishment for a despicable crime.

Shouldn't be allowed anywhere near this jersey.

since77

Juniors
I stayed through the Russell Packer redemption, through the Mary desperation, the De Belin fiasco and through the rebranding of the club as "Ben Hunt's St George Illawarra Ben Hunt Dragons brought to you by Ben Hunt".

But Matt Lodge would be the end of it for me. Vile human who ran away avoiding his proper punishment for a despicable crime.

gotta say I agree. There's already one guy in our team who I have a very hard time watching play in our jersey but Lodge would be a bitter bill to swallow. Winning substantially more games than we lose might help me deal with it.

kiwi_saint

Juniors

Josh McGuire anyone?

Gareth67

First Grade
Most surprised if Lodge is on Flanagans radar at the moment .

I realize that the cupboard is all but bare , but surely there must be a younger prop out there that has potential and would be a far better investment to the Dragons future then a has been whom is running on tired old legs ?

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
Most surprised if Lodge is on Flanagans radar at the moment .

I realize that the cupboard is all but bare , but surely there must be a younger prop out there that has potential and would be a far better investment to the Dragons future then a has been whom is running on tired old legs ?
I think that's the point of Lodge, he is ready now, 2 year deal gives our young guys like Tonga etc time to develop and not rushed and given the burden to be our pack leader, you need a Lodge type to take the battering and help the kids come through, look how JWH takes and gives out the punishment and makes it easier for Terrell May then to come on..

Latest posts