What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flanno's New Signings

TheRev

Coach
When you complete for bombs you knock on a lot. If you never compete you don't.
Agreed, Hunts 5th tackle bombs were probably a 30% chance of result for Lomax.. it was Hunts pet play at every opportunity.. Lomax has a few more errors from silly flicks and what not.. but you are right, almost all of them would be chasing attacking kicks.

Its similar to the fullback missed tackle stats that people put far too much emphasis on.. frankly you want to see plenty of missed tackles from your fullback, as they put their body on the line.... even if its a 5% chance of stopping a try, knocking an arm, getting a limb under the ball.. anything.... The king of "no missed tackles" was Dufty, always go for the intercept... or supervise a try being scored from a safe distance.

Suli is a strong tackler no doubt but he does miss some and does get into the wrong position and is not the best reader of play.

I don’t rely specifically on stats as they are very often misleading.
It is hard to believe a bloke who had a 91% tackle efficiency rating in defence was prone to get himself into a "poor position" or to be "not the best reader of the play" because had he been either of those things he would have a much lower tackle efficiency i.e. he wouldn`t have point blank missed all of the tackles, but there would have been a lot of missed and attempted tackles and that would have lowered his tackle efficiency rate.

Parko1310

Juniors
As I said I don’t rely on stats that often give a false impression.

If you get yourself in the wrong position and don’t attempt a tackle that you would normally make when in the correct position it doesn’t count against you.

Widdop was a great defender but stats often unfairly went against him as he tried to clean up the mess created by others yet people called him out as being average.
Suli has improved his positioning out of sight defensively. I'm not sure if you've watched him since 2022. And lol... calling Widdop a great defender.. that's an interesting take. Bloke could not tackle, nor did he want to make a tackle. For all the creativity he might've had he was pretty soft, didn't want to tackle, didn't want to get tackled.

Old Timer

Coach
It is hard to believe a bloke who had a 91% tackle efficiency rating in defence was prone to get himself into a "poor position" or to be "not the best reader of the play" because had he been either of those things he would have a much lower tackle efficiency i.e. he wouldn`t have point blank missed all of the tackles, but there would have been a lot of missed and attempted tackles and that would have lowered his tackle efficiency rate.
You rely heavily on the stats that are printed but I suggest you have scant knowledge of how those stats are garnered or the sub layers of stats that are below each heading.

Not attempting or missing a tackle if you are dummied to or side stepped donot necessarily count against you as a missed tackle there are many nuances as to what constitutes that stat that’s why I don’t just rely on it.

Same as if you rush in to make a big hit and the cut out pass creates a 2 on 1 and they score doesn’t count against you as a missed tackle either. Sadly that ends up counting against the winger.

Tackle efficiency is only based on tackles attempted as against completed so again if you are beaten all ends up and make no attempt then it doesn’t count against your stats.

Lack of pace to get to the tackle or inability to turn and make the tackle don’t count against you either but there are separate stats collated for that as entity of their own.

So headline stats are not all they seem to be.

Old Timer

Coach
Suli has improved his positioning out of sight defensively. I'm not sure if you've watched him since 2022. And lol... calling Widdop a great defender.. that's an interesting take. Bloke could not tackle, nor did he want to make a tackle. For all the creativity he might've had he was pretty soft, didn't want to tackle, didn't want to get tackled.
I have watched every game some multiple times and is Suli better yes he but IMO he is still suspect.

Your comments re Widdop are simply laughable.

Gardenia

Bench
Pearce-Paul worth a look at too as RFM replacement for 2026.. depends what the plan is for R Couchman in terms of whether he's going to be a middle or an edge. If Luc doesn't get fitter next year/hit the ground running in pre-season then I wouldn't be opposed to him moving on either. That said, I hope he works harder because he can be a massive point of difference when he wants to be
Oh nah keep Luciano. Getting Big Lucy to fire is the key !!

Latest posts