What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flano Press conference

I don't sorry. From recollection it was around the time he was under the pump and rumoured to be on the way out and was talking about how much he knows about winning comps from his time at other clubs as an understudy.
So probably middle of last year. I'll have a look.

redv13

Bench
Can you recall the game? I'd like to watch it.
I remember that pc with AOB. It was just before they went on the run of 10 or so wins. He was practically saying how good he was at the Storm and Roosters and won GF’s. Someone should have reminded him that he was the AC and Bellamy and Robinson were the head coaches. He was talking like an absolute desperate that night

Eion

First Grade
That's what I remember....figured I must have missed something from back then
The dope (pardon the pun) resigned.
He resigned after looking down the barrel of severe nrl sanction in early 2019 because of his own actions of ignoring NRL imposed previous sanctions put on him.
Flanno was ‘deregistered indefinitely’ after he resigned, hence his time in the wilderness.
He’s damn lucky to be back at all and a bit rich if hes cranky for wanting sharks to just wait 3 odd years for him to be able to coach again lol.
I am glad flanno is back, he’s a good coach. Did some silly things, and there were scapegoat elements to all of it. But if he’s genuinely angry he probably needs to look no further than the mirror.

PJ

First Grade
The dope (pardon the pun) resigned.
He resigned after looking down the barrel of severe nrl sanction in early 2019 because of his own actions of ignoring NRL imposed previous sanctions put on him.
Flanno was ‘deregistered indefinitely’ after he resigned, hence his time in the wilderness.
He’s damn lucky to be back at all and a bit rich if hes cranky for wanting sharks to just wait 3 odd years for him to be able to coach again lol.
I am glad flanno is back, he’s a good coach. Did some silly things, and there were scapegoat elements to all of it. But if he’s genuinely angry he probably needs to look no further than the mirror.

Which he is competely incapable of doing, unless its for something good.

I think O'Brian did something similar last year

I just watched a clip. It was slightly different to Flanno's.

O'Brien was asked about how to improve the team's defensive reslilence. He began his answer by bringing up being part of 4 grand finals in order to say he has seen and knows what teams need to do, but is having difficulty getting his team to do it.

Flanno was asked about the fact that they had just played 3 games in 11 days. After answering this question, he voluntarily segued into the Sharks game. Once this was established as the new topic, he said "I won a comp there"..."they haven't won since", etc.

Louiethefly

Juniors
Yes the Bennett and Flanno comparisons are very accurate. I still remember all the games Bennett coached at the dragons where we conceded 60 points, particularly the Anzac Day ones 🙂
Difference is that Bennett inherited a good roster that just needed some tweaking and some confidence. Flannagan has inherited an absolute Trainwreck of a situation from Griffin.

All things considered, he's doing a much better job than our three previous coaches have. Players are actually improving under him, we can defend our goal line now at points.

Takes time to turn the ship around

RedVDave

First Grade
Do people really believe we are a better team this year? Because we are not, we are actually far worse we've concded the most points this year more than any other team (apart from Souths) we've lost by two record margins this year already after only 8 weeks.

We've made zero acquisitions for next year we continually lose out on signings to other clubs.

I know some think Flanno is the saviour but sorry I'm just not buying into it. I hope to proven wrong and hope things can turn around but what I've seen so far has been pretty hideous, I think bringing back Dean Young was far and away the biggest blunder yet both he and his old man were great players but as coaches/managers they are so far out of their depth it's embarrassing.

Draginzaaar

Bench
I remember that pc with AOB. It was just before they went on the run of 10 or so wins. He was practically saying how good he was at the Storm and Roosters and won GF’s. Someone should have reminded him that he was the AC and Bellamy and Robinson were the head coaches. He was talking like an absolute desperate that night
But then they went on a 10 win run. So maybe what he said worked?

BLM01

First Grade
Do people really believe we are a better team this year? Because we are not, we are actually far worse we've concded the most points this year more than any other team (apart from Souths) we've lost by two record margins this year already after only 8 weeks.

We've made zero acquisitions for next year we continually lose out on signings to other clubs.

I know some think Flanno is the saviour but sorry I'm just not buying into it. I hope to proven wrong and hope things can turn around but what I've seen so far has been pretty hideous, I think bringing back Dean Young was far and away the biggest blunder yet both he and his old man were great players but as coaches/managers they are so far out of their depth it's embarrassing.
Yes the alarming record loss (one) is concerning however points conceded, Titans and Cowboys have played one less game (Cowboys to play today) and likely will overtake us and Parra are 2 behind just to add some perspective.
I believe we are better team in attack and when on in defense better there.
I am not sure why the blowouts and the run of possession goes against us it just snowballs, losing the ruck etc I cant quite put my finger on and we need to fix that inconsistency quickly.
I suppose the concern is we are just real Jekyll & Hyde ATM

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors

Well after 8 rounds in 2023 we had won 2 games. Our wins were against perennial under-achievers Titans and the Dolphins with a bunch a players out. This season after 8 games we have won 4, including wins against sides with top 8 aspirations in Manly and Warriors. I'd say there's been improvement.

The football played under Hook just left me in despair. I was glad to see the back of him. The football under Flanno has been a huge improvement. I will say however we seemed to be playing tougher footy with less blow-outs when Ryan Carr was in charge, even when Ben Hunt was having his big sook. I don't know what's gone wrong there, it's definitely an area we have regressed.

In terms of acquisitions, I don't know what to do. No-one wants to come to our club. Hook could only attract old Queenslanders. Flanno can't attract anyone even with a big pile of money. Even someone like Eisenhuth who is doing a pretty good job, almost took a reserve grade position with Penrith rather than play first grade with us. It's a sad indictment of our club, our management, Hunt as a captain, Flanno as a coach, or Wollongong as a destination.

Latest posts