What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flano Press conference

Dragon David

First Grade
Shane Flanagan on Sky Sports Radio today at 9.00am if anyone is interested.
I couldn't listen to this but spoke to my brother who did and said Flanno didn't say that much. It was mainly that the SG Ball team were outstanding and most of the guys in the team have been signed up. Nothing mentioned about new signings or who they might be chasing. Just a general discussion and in my brother's words "it was a waste of time".

I'm Hornby

Juniors
Your the one that keeps regurgitating R5 not me
Read your own posts
So don’t predict the future
come back and say you were right at the end of the year if it is real then
Sounds like you've conceded defeat on this already and you know your man's record will be even more deplorable at season's end. Buckle up.

Phantom V

Juniors
It’s impossible to compare one coach to the next as there are too many variables involved. Some have been fortunate to have inherited better squads. Some have coached in a time when there was less dominance from the top tier teams and you could jag a win but this has become a lot more difficult as even the second string teams are quite strong in this comp. Add to this the constant momentum shifts in games with the addition of the new rules and the comparison is chalk and cheese. I’m not defending Flannigan, as it’s his job to fix it.
In the coaches defence, he has tried recruiting some marquee players but as I’ve stated before on this forum, the horse bolted once Hunt decided to go public with his intentions to leave the club.

Dragon David

First Grade
It’s impossible to compare one coach to the next as there are too many variables involved. Some have been fortunate to have inherited better squads. Some have coached in a time when there was less dominance from the top tier teams and you could jag a win but this has become a lot more difficult as even the second string teams are quite strong in this comp. Add to this the constant momentum shifts in games with the addition of the new rules and the comparison is chalk and cheese. I’m not defending Flannigan, as it’s his job to fix it.
In the coaches defence, he has tried recruiting some marquee players but as I’ve stated before on this forum, the horse bolted once Hunt decided to go public with his intentions to leave the club.
Well put Phantom V. Yeah, the writing was on the wall for our failure to get anyone remotely of higher quality once Hunt spread the word at SOO time that he wanted out. Can you imagine what impact that would have had on all of the players in the NRL and lower grades. The other person to make things worse is of course Lomax not wanting to be at the Dragons as well and we know he will be gone. Both these bastards, for want of a better word, have set us back so much now it is not funny.

Flanagan knows that he will find it tough recruiting good players and with there being no full-time "proper" recruiter to help him at present, what chances do we have to get any marquee player for 2025 before they get signed up by the Roosters etc? I'd say Buckley's.

Wolfgang90

Juniors
Majority of our training should be done at Kogarah or nearby, if location is a major negative factor in recruiting players. We can still play at Wollongong. A few teams don't train & play at the same location.

Work with local council/state government to build a multi sport centre of excellence in this area, as we don't know when the COE at Wollongong will start to be built. Why limit our potential recruitment pool by basing ourselves primarily at Wollongong?

A few players live in the shire too, so obviously it would make our club a more attractive option for potential recruits.

Dragon David

First Grade
Majority of our training should be done at Kogarah or nearby, if location is a major negative factor in recruiting players. We can still play at Wollongong. A few teams don't train & play at the same location.

Work with local council/state government to build a multi sport centre of excellence in this area, as we don't know when the COE at Wollongong will start to be built. Why limit our potential recruitment pool by basing ourselves primarily at Wollongong?

A few players live in the shire too, so obviously it would make our club a more attractive option for potential recruits.
Some very good points of view Wolfgang.

Do you think that the Administration of this club just doesn't know how to run the business for which they are employed to do? Are the problems they have in their very full in tray too much to bear and they keep burying the harder stuff deeper under the pile? Have the Crown Lagers, Cocktails and Caviar taken hold of their brain cells?

I suppose with the eventual renovations on the Taj Mahal being done and the C of E in Wollongong being erected (both long term jobs I would think), they will have a bit less to worry about but I do agree that we should make more use of the Kogarah facilities and have something similar to the C of E in the vicinity of the Taj and maybe in the Netstrata Grounds. Make more presence in the St George heartland to give better recognition of the Dragons.

TheRev

First Grade
I am sure we are chasing a recruitment manager.. But I imagine they don't grow on trees, they need to be connected... And they probably already have a job.

It may be that we need to wait for 2025 to get someone finishing up their current contract etc.

Mojo

Bench
Lifted from Google:

“Mark Twain famously popularized the saying, “There are 3 kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.” He referred to his own difficulty in understanding figures, and to the idea that statistics can have persuasive power, even when used inappropriately.“

For example, the stats quoted above indicate that McGregor is comparable to Bennett.

I rest my case.

Mojo

Bench
Some very good points of view Wolfgang.

Do you think that the Administration of this club just doesn't know how to run the business for which they are employed to do? Are the problems they have in their very full in tray too much to bear and they keep burying the harder stuff deeper under the pile? Have the Crown Lagers, Cocktails and Caviar taken hold of their brain cells?

I suppose with the eventual renovations on the Taj Mahal being done and the C of E in Wollongong being erected (both long term jobs I would think), they will have a bit less to worry about but I do agree that we should make more use of the Kogarah facilities and have something similar to the C of E in the vicinity of the Taj and maybe in the Netstrata Grounds. Make more presence in the St George heartland to give better recognition of the Dragons.
There’s probably a million reasons why it can’t be done but I see the proximity of Jubilee Oval, the leagues club and Beverley Park as an amazing opportunity for development of a stadium and sports complex (in fact they’re all geographically connected).
Revert to one club , ie; St George Dragons, keep Illawarra stadium as a satellite / second home ground and establish a junior rugby league development academy in the Gong.
Come on - Chris Minns - NSW Premier - Dragons supporter - Marist Brothers old boy - make it happen!

Como Connection

First Grade
There’s probably a million reasons why it can’t be done but I see the proximity of Jubilee Oval, the leagues club and Beverley Park as an amazing opportunity for development of a stadium and sports complex (in fact they’re all geographically connected).
Revert to one club , ie; St George Dragons, keep Illawarra stadium as a satellite / second home ground and establish a junior rugby league development academy in the Gong.
Come on - Chris Minns - NSW Premier - Dragons supporter - Marist Brothers old boy - make it happen!
Bulldogs supporter I think.
CC

Lindsay Moss

Juniors
Don't you think your first centre of excellence should be where most of your juniors come from.

Don't you think your first centre of excellence should be where most of your juniors come from.
Our best “juniors” have come from Queensland, Penrith, Regional NSW etc

Melbourne and Roosters have no real junior nursery yet they have collectively dominated the comp for nearly 25 years.

what we need is a first class administrator and a very large sombrero.

denis preston

First Grade
Are you channeling Possom ?

TheRev

First Grade
Our best “juniors” have come from Queensland, Penrith, Regional NSW etc

Melbourne and Roosters have no real junior nursery yet they have collectively dominated the comp for nearly 25 years.

what we need is a first class administrator and a very large sombrero.
I don't have the data, but I was looking at our Dragons SG side, and it seems like almost all of them were recruited externally.. but f*** me it worked! I think NickT in Flegg is a local? But I dont think there are many from our local catchment.

Steelers maybe a different story? I mean King Togia was yet another qld import.. not sure about the rest.. but im sure there are a bunch of local junior leagues down there to pull from.. curious if our recruitment teams were focussing recruits into the dragons side?

redv13

Bench
I don't have the data, but I was looking at our Dragons SG side, and it seems like almost all of them were recruited externally.. but f*** me it worked! I think NickT in Flegg is a local? But I dont think there are many from our local catchment.

Steelers maybe a different story? I mean King Togia was yet another qld import.. not sure about the rest.. but im sure there are a bunch of local junior leagues down there to pull from.. curious if our recruitment teams were focussing recruits into the dragons side?
Nick T is a Saints junior, Arncliffe Scots boy

Latest posts